Thread: Polycarbonate transition line bi/trifocals

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Polycarbonate transition line bi/trifocals

anyone know if these are manufactured by any vendor at all? i'm asked for these quite often and I'm surprised that, as far as i could find, they don't seem to exist!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think SunSensors makes some.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes they are made. Vision-Ease makes the Ft-28 in polycarbonate transitions. www.vision-ease.com . They call it the Life Rx lens series. You can also get a Trivex Transitions Ft-28.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Yes they are made. Vision-Ease makes the Ft-28 in polycarbonate transitions. www.vision-ease.com . They call it the Life Rx lens series. You can also get a Trivex Transitions Ft-28.

And you can get back-surface round segs in poly transitions from Three Rivers Optical.
    We just used a set of those for a -6.00 lady who definitely did not want either progressive or flattop. They were nearly invisible.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    And you can get back-surface round segs in poly transitions from Three Rivers Optical.
    We just used a set of those for a -6.00 lady who definitely did not want either progressive or flattop. They were nearly invisible.

You can also get them made in any other material! I just had a Poly Polarized Gray#3 made up in a blended round seg.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You can also get them made in any other material! I just had a Poly Polarized Gray#3 made up in a blended round seg.
    Yes, the ones we had done for that lady were in 1.60 index.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Nothin' but problems with that lens, especially with that lens delaminating in a year's time. I've heard that they're working on this issue, but I'd steer clear of it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Good Point!

Quote Originally Posted by Radio Star View Post
    Nothin' but problems with that lens, especially with that lens delaminating in a year's time. I've heard that they're working on this issue, but I'd steer clear of it.
    I agree!!!

I use the Trivex one ONLY!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree!!!

I use the Trivex one ONLY!!!
    Yes! Fezz and I share one brain.

Just quote the Trivex price and be done with it. If they don't like it, you can use the Sunsensors 1.56, or offer the blended seg (which will be more expensive than the Trivex FT. I think that I am paying less for the Trivex FT Trans V than the FT LifeRx from VisionEase.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Has anyone seen Johns? The meeting of THE GREAT MINDS CLUB is now in session!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Yes! Fezz and I share one brain.

Just quote the Trivex price and be done with it. If they don't like it, you can use the Sunsensors 1.56, or offer the blended seg (which will be more expensive than the Trivex FT. I think that I am paying less for the Trivex FT Trans V than the FT LifeRx from VisionEase.

Great minds think alike!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Mutt View Post
    anyone know if these are manufactured by any vendor at all? i'm asked for these quite often and I'm surprised that, as far as i could find, they don't seem to exist!
    Trivex FT28 and 7x28 are available with Transition 5. I'd stay away from the LifeRx product - they don't compare at all with the Trans5 products.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

wow

Thanks for all the info evryone! I'll definitly stay clear of the vision-ease. What company makes the trivex FT transitions?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Mutt View Post
    Thanks for all the info evryone! I'll definitly stay clear of the vision-ease. What company makes the trivex FT transitions?
    Younger

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Another little pearl

If a pt orders poly FT w/ Transitions, my only choice is LifeRX, right? Yes. This is what I do. I order the Trivex Trans V, which cost me a little less than the LifeRx and I put a little card in the dispensing tray that says "You got a FREE upgrade! Retail value of $30", a brochure about trivex is also included. win-win-win

1. Pt feels good about the free upgrade
    2. Pt has something to tell and show friends
    3. Pt gets a better product
    4. I save $XX bucks

maybe next year they will come in asking for Trivex. Even if they don't, I will quote them the trivex price, based on what they had previously.

BTW, I don't have anything against the LifeRx product. I haven't dispensed many, but haven't seem any delamination.

Also, I do the same "Free upgrade" thing on SV w/AR. I can explain why and how in a PM or on the Professional side.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio Star View Post

We have NEVER had a problem with this lens. Never had one returned. We have been doing about 5 pair a day. I'm curious, who has seen problems with this lens ?
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have seen problems with them. It is a true delamination. I have not sold one in over a year+. I'm a trivex fan, and have had ZERO problems with them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jofelk View Post
    We have NEVER had a problem with this lens. Never had one returned. We have been doing about 5 pair a day. I'm curious, who has seen problems with this lens ?
    The only problems that we saw was on higher plus rimles jobs!
    No problems on minus.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    As the Manager of Professional Relations for Vision-Ease Lens I wanted
    to clear up some misperceptions about LifeRx photochromic lenses.
    Over the past 2 years we have sold over 3.5 million LifeRx photochromic
    lenses. During that time customers have commented on the high quality,
    broad style availability and improved photochromic performance of
    LifeRx. In fact, LifeRx photochromic lenses were recently named winner
    of the Optical Laboratory Association award for best in lens material.
    However, these accolades mean nothing if we are not consistently meeting
    the needs of our customers.
    It is true we have had reports of LifeRx lenses separating after
    prolonged exposure to high heat, humidity and acidic skin. However, the
    separation occurs so infrequently that the majority of customers will
    never see it. In fact, our overall return rate for the LifeRx product
    line has been extremely low, well under the industry average.
    Given our continued commitment to quality, Vision-Ease lens has taken
    proactive steps to eliminate the separation issue. Furthermore, we
    stand behind every lens manufactured and will continue to work towards
    100% satisfaction.
    If you still have questions or doubts about LifeRx lenses we encourage
    you to contact Vision-Ease Lens. We would like you to judge LifeRx
    lenses for yourself. Contact a Vision-Ease Lens Sales Representative at
    800-328-3449 to learn more and to receive a voucher for a free trial.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Falk View Post
    As the Manager of Professional Relations for Vision-Ease Lens I wanted
    to clear up some misperceptions about LifeRx photochromic lenses.
    Over the past 2 years we have sold over 3.5 million LifeRx photochromic
    lenses. During that time customers have commented on the high quality,
    broad style availability and improved photochromic performance of
    LifeRx. In fact, LifeRx photochromic lenses were recently named winner
    of the Optical Laboratory Association award for best in lens material.
    However, these accolades mean nothing if we are not consistently meeting
    the needs of our customers.
    It is true we have had reports of LifeRx lenses separating after
    prolonged exposure to high heat, humidity and acidic skin. However, the
    separation occurs so infrequently that the majority of customers will
    never see it. In fact, our overall return rate for the LifeRx product
    line has been extremely low, well under the industry average.
    Given our continued commitment to quality, Vision-Ease lens has taken
    proactive steps to eliminate the separation issue. Furthermore, we
    stand behind every lens manufactured and will continue to work towards
    100% satisfaction.
    If you still have questions or doubts about LifeRx lenses we encourage
    you to contact Vision-Ease Lens. We would like you to judge LifeRx
    lenses for yourself. Contact a Vision-Ease Lens Sales Representative at
    800-328-3449 to learn more and to receive a voucher for a free trial.

Well, that's good to hear. I have not used them, as I prefer Trivex over Poly in most instances.But I still think VE produces some very fine products.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Falk View Post
    As the Manager of Professional Relations for Vision-Ease Lens I wanted to clear up some misperceptions about LifeRx photochromic lenses.
    Over the past 2 years we have sold over 3.5 million LifeRx photochromic lenses. During that time customers have commented on the high quality, broad style availability and improved photochromic performance of LifeRx. In fact, LifeRx photochromic lenses were recently named winner of the Optical Laboratory Association award for best in lens material. However, these accolades mean nothing if we are not consistently meeting
    the needs of our customers. It is true we have had reports of LifeRx lenses separating after prolonged exposure to high heat, humidity and acidic skin. However, the separation occurs so infrequently that the majority of customers will never see it. In fact, our overall return rate for the LifeRx product line has been extremely low, well under the industry average. Given our continued commitment to quality, Vision-Ease lens has taken proactive steps to eliminate the separation issue. Furthermore, we stand behind every lens manufactured and will continue to work towards 100% satisfaction. If you still have questions or doubts about LifeRx lenses we encourage you to contact Vision-Ease Lens. We would like you to judge LifeRx lenses for yourself. Contact a Vision-Ease Lens Sales Representative at 800-328-3449 to learn more and to receive a voucher for a free trial.
    Spoken like a true public relations professional. My best friend worked for Ford as a PR manager - I'll never own a Ford simply from the things he told me.

Personally, I rarely listen to a manufacturer tell me anything about their product that even remotely sounds like a sales pitch - as your post does: "it is true we have had reports of LifeRx lenses separating after prolonged exposure to high heat, humidity and acidic skin. However, the separation occurs so infrequently that the majority of customers will never see it." Like water off a ducks back blaming the end consumer.

My experience has been the opposite from your claim - both in the lab and dispensing. I've personally seen over 2 dozen in time the lens has been available - for too great a percentage of the number of lenses sold by either place I worked. And I'm not alone - obviously Fezz here has had the same issues - and many of my associates here locally have reported the same thing happening to them. Actually, the lab I frequently work with will call now if someone orders a LifeRx and ask them if they'd like to switch to a Transitions 5 Trivex (it's cheaper, and they don't have to deal with the delamination issues). Oh...did I mention the free pair I got (thanks for the voucher BTW - the people at your VEW booth were very nice) delaminated? No contact to my skin (full metal frame), never left in the heat, and although Michigan gets humid, it happened in March.

I'll stick with my personal experiences and listen to people in the industry I trust - I'll be sticking with Transitions 5 in Trivex for the foreseeable future.

Occupation
    Well, that's good to hear. I have not used them, as I prefer Trivex over Poly in most instances.But I still think VE produces some very fine products.
    I would agree VE has some very good products - I'm a huge fan of their polarized lenses (when I don't need a wrap). I also like their aspheric designs. My personal experiences with LifeRx are unfortunately the exact opposite.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    I would agree VE has some very good products - I'm a huge fan of their polarized lenses (when I don't need a wrap). I also like their aspheric designs. My personal experiences with LifeRx are unfortunately the exact opposite.

I use Younger Nu-Polar and have not had a delam ever, even in rimless. So far continuing in Drivewear.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    I use Younger Nu-Polar and have not had a delam ever, even in rimless. So far continuing in Drivewear.
    The reason I tend to like the VE polar lenses is consistent true gray color. Younger - until recently - only had their gray C lens which has too much blue/green for my taste.

Of course with all the wraps I've been doing I'm going more and more to KBco's SV Wrap lens. I can get the true gray or gray C and I've never had a delamination issue.

And Drivewear is simply a great lens that fills a ever broadening niche - golfers, runners, photophobs, bikers - you don't need to be behind the wheel of a car to fully utilize this lens.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    The reason I tend to like the VE polar lenses is consistent true gray color. Younger - until recently - only had their gray C lens which has too much blue/green for my taste.

Of course with all the wraps I've been doing I'm going more and more to KBco's SV Wrap lens. I can get the true gray or gray C and I've never had a delamination issue.

And Drivewear is simply a great lens that fills a ever broadening niche - golfers, runners, photophobs, bikers - you don't need to be behind the wheel of a car to fully utilize this lens.

I had a bad experience with KB Co. I had some of their Neutral Gray polarized lenses that did delaminate. Since they had a delam warranty, I sent them back for credit. They refused, saying they had no record of us ordering them. Where else could you get them? And they were the ONLY ones that made them. SO I packed up all my KB Co lenses and sent them all back for credit. Again, they refused, saying they had never received them.When I showed them the UPS tracking info that they HAD gotten them, they still insisted they hadn't but grudgingly gave me credit. Then, months later, my box of lenses showed back up here. KB Co had sent the lenses they never got back to me for some reason.Go figger.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Thread Information