Bad address email on file abocandy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Test

Congratulations EVERYONE!!!

If its to be its up to me!! (you)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I passed my ABO also. It is now on to the NCLE. I will probably take the exam in November.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congrats Wolfman!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea I Made It!!

I just passed my ABO!!:). Thanks Everyone for all your help. Now's the hard one.. NCLE.. I started studying but it seems to be going slow.. Anyone taking NCLE? or have taken it before? any advice will help. Planning to take Exam in May 08'.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just passed the NCLE in Nov. 2007. On the test I took, there was NOT a lot of anatomy. It focused more on situations. <<For example, a patient is wearing a lens with a certain base curve (8.9) and complains that when he blinks the contact lens moves and his vision is blurry. What is the solution?>> There are 125 questions on the test and they give you 2 1/2 hours to take it. It took me about 1 1/2 hrs. to finish and check over my answers. I studied the Contact Lens Manual; Volume 1, and the Test Review for Contact Lens Technicians from the CLSA- www.CLSA.info. I also went online to quantumoptical.com and paid for the NCLE reviews but you can pass it with just the books. Also, be familiar with the different staining patterns, "taco" test, and vertex compensation. 3/4 of the test deals with RGP's but there were some questions about soft lenses too. Set time aside (about 30 minutes) each day to study and you'll do fine. Take all the practice tests you can. Good luck!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Wave

I also took the NOCE in November. I scored a 93!

I'm seriously considering looking for a new job, though. I've worked in a Wal-Mart vision center for a little over a year now. As far as advancement, and learning more about the field, there just isn't much I can do while working there. We don't have a lab, and opticians have nothing to do with fitting contacts, so there just isn't much for opticians to do there beyond dispensing.

Pam

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You don't have to leave your current job to be a good optician. Get involved with your Dr. and ask to sit in for some of the exams. See if he'll let you fit some basic spherical cl's, then maybe torics, etc. and see how you do. You can advance. The more you learn, the more marketable (valuable) you become. Is Colorado a licensed state? If so, make it a goal to become licensed. If not, join your state optician association. Encourage your co-workers to get certified too. Congratulations of your score. That's pretty high!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Senorwes1 View Post
    You don't have to leave your current job to be a good optician. Get involved with your Dr. and ask to sit in for some of the exams. See if he'll let you fit some basic spherical cl's, then maybe torics, etc. and see how you do. You can advance. The more you learn, the more marketable (valuable) you become. Is Colorado a licensed state? If so, make it a goal to become licensed. If not, join your state optician association. Encourage your co-workers to get certified too. Congratulations of your score. That's pretty high!
    Thanks!

Beyond pretesting and filing, we're not allowed to do anything on the Dr's side. My manager is NCLE certified, but Wal-Mart doesn't allow her to fit contacts. Basically, her certification is useless.

Of five employees there, including the manager, there are now three of us ABO certified, one of those is ABO/NCLE certified, and one is planning to take the test in May. I'm not sure if the other one is or not.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Anyone get the results for the November 2010 tests yet?
    Sami Jo #3 ;)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hmmm

No Not yet i called and the lady on the other end said they were to be mailed out on Jan. 3rd which is fine and all but from what i understand you are supposed to be able to check the status online but mine still says pending exam completion????????? whats the point of checking online if you dont get any results until your paper comes in the mail anywho if anyone hears anything let us know thanks-----Jared;)

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    It's only updated on the website if you pass. If you don't pass, it continues to read "pending exam completion".
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    According to ABO, the online system is down for system maintenance. And I also heard the same that the results would be mailed out on Jan 3. They really need to look into making the ABO & NCLE computerized, which will give immediate "unofficial" results. It would make things so much easier for everybody.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have not gotten my score yet but my status updated on the website. I'm good for a few more years.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I got a 69 on my test :-/. And you need a 70 to pass. This is my 3rd attempt. I lost my appetite today when i saw the results. Is there anyway to fight that...for just one point?

Occupation
    I had a co-worker who refused to study and she got a 69 two times in a row. I have to tell you, and this is gonna hurt...
    This is an easy test of basic opticianry competency. If you can't pass it after three times, something's wrong. Be it the training materials, study habits, or mentorship/training, or some combination of all of the preceeding...
    What were you studying? How much time did you put in? Do you have a mentor? Are you apprenticing? Do you currently work in the optical field?

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jclee4 View Post
    I got a 69 on my test :-/. And you need a 70 to pass. This is my 3rd attempt. I lost my appetite today when i saw the results. Is there anyway to fight that...for just one point?

What are you studying? Perhaps you need to find some practice tests to work on your test taking skills also.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Iv been in the optical field about 3 yrs. I know this is my fault. It just hurts to watch everyone else pass and you keep failing. Me and my family don't have money like that. I'm just wondering if they've ever made an exception for just one point. That's all i ask :-/.

Occupation
    They're not going to make an exception.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jclee4 View Post
    Iv been in the optical field about 3 yrs. I know this is my fault. It just hurts to watch everyone else pass and you keep failing. Me and my family don't have money like that. I'm just wondering if they've ever made an exception for just one point. That's all i ask :-/.
    Wes is right, they're not going to make an exception.

You know the problem. If you want to advance in this field, do something about it.

If you are prepared, the test is a breeze. If you aren't, well you know the results.

Where are you in Florida? If you don't work with a competent optician that is willing to help, contact your local chapter of POF (Professional Opticians of Florida). They can probably help you find a mentor.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    According to the ABO, the online system is to maintain the system. I also heard the same as the results will be mailed on January 3. They really need to investigate the conduct of the ABO and NCLE team, which immediately unofficial results. Would make things much easier for everyone.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

I heard that May, 2011 results were supposed to have been mailed June 23/24th. Has anyone seen their results yet?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by BTWEENUNI View Post
    I heard that May, 2011 results were supposed to have been mailed June 23/24th. Has anyone seen their results yet?

I heard that several of them have been received. I have yet to receive mine.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I took the May 2011 ABO and got my results like 3 weeks ago.

Thread Information