Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just became aware of MEI edgers...WOW!!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just became aware of MEI edgers...WOW!!!

Now I have seen the future. Their current price is $150K...when they get down to $80K (and a little smaller)...I'M GETTIN' ONE!

So that's how Oakley, Maui Jim, Ice Tech, Sola-Spazio, get those darn lenses in wrap and interchangeable frames. I feel like I'm usin' a rubber-band launcher with my conventional edger, while they're blastin' off to the moon with ION drive propulsion!

http://www.meisystem.com/ottica/down...DD-English.pdf

Barry
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 06-14-2007 at 06:19 AM.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I never thought I would walk inside of an edger.......:D
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Nothing new!

MEI edgers have been around for a few years. My understanding is that Ice-Tech and Sola/Carl Zeiss (Spazio) are not using these edgers. Although, I was told that when Sola was doing the Enigma lens/frame deal with Safilo that they were using the MEI edgers? Who knows? I just wish that I could get one of these wrap jobs done, correctly, cosmetically and timely! I may be wrong.

My research pointed me to a few privately owned labs that have jumped all over this technology. I believe Pech Optical may be using them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    My research pointed me to a few privately owned labs that have jumped all over this technology. I believe Pech Optical may be using them.
    IT's true and they are a contract lab for Rudy Project and Wiley X

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just wish that I could get one of these wrap jobs done, correctly, cosmetically and timely! I may be wrong.
    Fezz, I forgot: are you doing your own edging? I've got a pile of tricks that I've learned to coax a standard edger to do most wraps acceptably well. I'd be glad to share them with anyone else, as well as start a dialogue of this subject where all can input their experience.

What do you say, Optiboarders?

Barry

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

wrap frames tips

Barry,
    I think that the wrap frame tips forum\thread would be great. Alot of us have different edgers yet some of us could convince our machines to do the same procedures.:idea:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Get us out of flatland :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Yes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Get us out of flatland :D

Let's get OUT!

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry;
    Did you actually see, touch and try one? I have only read about, and seen in print.

Sidenote: Does anybody remember the name of the company that was trying to promote a edger using laser technology? If I remember right, it was a about two years ago that some of the trade rags were running little articles about it.
    Last edited by Fezz; 06-14-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: additional thoughts

Occupation
    I would be interested in any tips or tricks you have with wrap frames.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

high wraps

On high minus wraps I will set my Kappa to manual mode. I choose the Base curve selection icon. Usually I set it at 8 depending on the lens frame. I cut the lens about 7 mm large if I have enough room. After cutting the right and left large, I take the lenses to the hand stone. Here I put a HEAVY bevel on the backside. Then I go back to the edger and reset the sizing to zero. DO NOT re scan just go to the OD lens, set size to zero and cut. Usualy a nice bevel that fits in the temporal side without wanting to pop out results. Practice makes perfect

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Barry;

Sidenote: Does anybody remember the name of the company that was trying to promote a edger using laser technology? If I remember right, it was a about two years ago that some of the trade rags were running little articles about it.
    Elision out of Canada
    http://www.elision.us/technology/laseredge.html

They also retrofit pattern edgers to patterless. We retrofitted two Horizon II units and it was like a dream come true.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The only way to edge wrap frames!

:)
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I would be interested in any tips or tricks you have with wrap frames.
    I own an ME-1000 from Santinelli, and I send out all my 8 base non-drills and some large 6 base ones. Wheels cannot give you the proper shelf bevel that is cut on the MEI; it can be customized to match any frame bevel and cut the excess thickness away from the edges to ensure that when the frame flexes, the lenses don't get squisshy or pop out at the top. They have 2 machines at Pech and a third is on order; I have seen them twice in Iowa and they are amazing. They cost a small fortune each, but enable them to do work no body else can do. They are the only one using the machine to edge all types of frames, not just a few from themselves; but Maui Jim and Oakley are doing excellent RX work at this time.
    Pech was just named the lab for Silhoutte Rx work and can process more drill mounts and wrap frames with the MEI edgers than anybody ever thought possible. They rough a lens in less than 10 seconds by cutting the excess in 2 pieces with a blade and the lens has almost no flex or twist as a result of not having to come down on a wheel.
    They are friends of mine and are 100% behind the independents that are left in the industry. They can be reached at 800-831-2352 x514 and ask for Bob Pech.
    Most jobs look like a plano when they are finished. With the larger blanks available we can utilize some large 8 base frames and with RX compensation the clients love the abilty to get the big wrap in a progressive.
    Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ditto harry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    :)

Wheels cannot give you the proper shelf bevel that is cut on the MEI; it can be customized to match any frame bevel and cut the excess thickness away from the edges to ensure that when the frame flexes, the lenses don't get squisshy or pop out at the top.
    whole-heartedly agree with you on this sentiment, but that does not mean that for a good percentage of jobs (especially metal), one can't do wraps well with a wheel edger. I'm doin' it all the time...and in some cases, better than Maui Jim (their edging QC needs to be improved).

I'm gonna start a thread in a day or so on the Eye care professionals forum about wraps. Just collectin' my thoughts right now. Let's all share tips over there.

barry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Edging is getting expensive!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Now I have seen the future. Their current price is $150K...when they get down to $80K (and a little smaller)...I'M GETTIN' ONE!
    Barry
    The true cost is close to $250,000 each; you need to get the area ready and install the conveyer system to make it automated. This does not include massive training and a huge learning curve; the machine was originally designed for mass production of ski masks and other huge volume runs that are exactly the same. The software on the machine needs to be upgraded to allow an easier input from operators and then it will really put out some amazing work. It is very time consuming to input a job for the first time.
    Pech has the third machine on order and plans on utilizing them for as much work as possible as they add the MEI systems. I bet they end up with 5 machines in the next 12 months; once you see the work consistently it may motivate you to send the high wraps out and save all the time on the hand stone. My lab guys have many years running labs and we all agree that the wheel has run its course as far as high base curves are concerned and the work done on the MEI cannot be matched on a wheel. THis does not mean it can't be done, but we now send out the same jobs we did ourselves a year ago and can't believe the fit of the lenses as opposed to when we did the job for the first time.
    Just goes to show that Optronics was on to something; they just didn't go far enough.
    Keep up the great threads; it makes people think.
    Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrock View Post
    Elision out of Canada
    http://www.elision.us/technology/laseredge.html

They also retrofit pattern edgers to patterless. We retrofitted two Horizon II units and it was like a dream come true.

Thanks!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Inquiring minds want to know!

Craig-

So is the MEI a Optronics type machine, in that it is a dry cut system with a router, or cutting blade system? My understanding is that it is, but the router moves, not the lens. Any other insight? Thanks for posting! Great info!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WOW I want one of these! Think it's too late for Father's Day?

Just the red and green light alone draws me to it like a moth to a flame!!

It's a guy thing:bbg:
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 06-15-2007 at 10:43 AM. Reason: punctuation

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    sorry uncle Fester Too late....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This MEI looks like something I saw at a Walmart lab when they gave us managers the tour when I worked for them......

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    ...and in some cases, better than Maui Jim (their edging QC needs to be improved).
    Thank Gawd I'm not the only person that sees that. I was beginning to think it was just me.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This MEI looks like something I saw at a Walmart lab when they gave us managers the tour when I worked for them......
    You're teasing me. Inquiring minds want to know what you mean

Rising Star
    Occupation

Mounting 8 base lenses

I just learned this a while a ago. Maybe you guys know about this and its old hat.

We get asked to do a fair amount of 8 base work. We're one of the RX vendors for a brand of motorcycle goggles. Most of the RX work is 8 base. It has its inherent difficulties with RX distortion, etc. We do all the work at safety thickness so its this fat lens with a fairly big back side bevel to mount into the frame.

One way to avoid all this hassle is to use a base 4 lens and an Optronics edger. The Optronics has a little feature apparent during edging called base. If you go into the box you can then change the base curve to be 8. The edger will put a perfect 8 base curve and bevel into a 4 base lens. You'll end up with a lens that looks flatter but fits perfectly. The bug eyed look will be gone. Having to do the backside bevel is gone. The same tracing can be used as for the normal job.

The Optronics has to be at least 6ES or newer. I dont think this feature made it into the Horizon series. I hope this helps.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Laser edging Problems

Barry;
    Did you actually see, touch and try one? I have only read about, and seen in print.

I don't remember the name but one limitation was that it would not do poly. The idea of a laser for edging would be very expensive to do correctly.

At ICE-TECH we decided to develop our own solution. MEI is a good system but he software is not that user friendly and the price is over $200K by the time it is delivered.

Thread Information