Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Describe your ideal Dispensing table

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Describe your ideal Dispensing table

If you could build it from scratch, what would your ideal dispensing table include?

Width, Height, Depth? How many drawers would you need?

I've looked at a lot of the pre-made ones from several frame board companies to get some ideas, but I'm not overly impressed with any of them to be quite honest.

Whats minimally needed, in your opinion? What is often included but a waste of space, in your opinion?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I would love table with the B & S items, recessed into the table top. I think they look sleek and would give the table top a professional modern look that you don't see in many stores. As for drawers, I would like one that would fit the hanging file type folders but deeper, I would use this for the various frame catalogs (bottom drawer). I would also like a drawer very shallow with many compartments that would hold screws and nosepads (this drawer would be the top drawer). I will add more if I could think of anything else.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I found that a sofa table was the perfect height and depth for me. Most conventional dispensing tables were too deep for me to comfortably reach across. It had a central drawer perfectly sized for the usual detrius...pens, pencils, paper, etc.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 06-09-2007 at 06:31 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for the input. Does anyone know if there are any guidelines or regulations regarding this? From either side... I've had an interior designer friend tell me the desks need to be 34in high for wheelchair accessability. I'm not sure if she was talking about to make it a proper workspace for an employee, or if she was referring to the patient side.

It seems most of the more *modern* designs have the drawers separate from the table top. I'm just not seeing the use for a huge dispensory table like I've seen in a lot of opticals. Not to downplay what is needed, or what is done, but a lot of them have a lot of wasted space. Thats part of the reason for my asking.

thanks again :)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Most of the tables I see are in the 25-36in range for depth. I'm thinking 18-24in might be a bit better fit. Like the idea of a sofa table.

thanks

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by orangezero View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any guidelines or regulations regarding this? From either side... I've had an interior designer friend tell me the desks need to be 34in high for wheelchair accessability. I'm not sure if she was talking about to make it a proper workspace for an employee, or if she was referring to the patient side.
    Barbara Wright's design book states:

Suggested Countertop Heights

27" - Keyboard for computer or typewriter.
    30" - Sit-down worktop
    34" - Stand-up worktop (Note: This is the maximum height allowed for any counterop which must meet ADA guidelines.)
    42"-44" - Writing counter at reception area.

I can't say for sure, but my guess would be that the ADA guidelines apply for employees and patients.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We just had ours custom made. I will measure them on Monday. We had way too hard of a time finding something that was not too *deep*.
    Last edited by Fezz; 06-09-2007 at 07:10 PM. Reason: eYe eM aa SpilLen IdjioUt

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Never considered a sofa table... that is a great idea...
    but since the width of the table might is more shallow...
    wouldn't there be an issue of invading the patient's personal space, ex. below the table?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That was never a problem for me.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by orangezero View Post
    Thanks for the input. Does anyone know if there are any guidelines or regulations regarding this? From either side... I've had an interior designer friend tell me the desks need to be 34in high for wheelchair accessability. I'm not sure if she was talking about to make it a proper workspace for an employee, or if she was referring to the patient side.

It seems most of the more *modern* designs have the drawers separate from the table top. I'm just not seeing the use for a huge dispensory table like I've seen in a lot of opticals. Not to downplay what is needed, or what is done, but a lot of them have a lot of wasted space. Thats part of the reason for my asking.

thanks again :)
    Your interior designer is right - laws now require you to be accessible and handicap accessible is a big issue with design - my wife is an interior designer and I hear it all the time. She actually ran the Essilor/OSI furniture design division until Essilor saw fit to close the division down. She re-designed their dispensing desks around my suggestions - including 28" depth (any more and I couldn't work effectively with the patient - any less and I didn't feel like I had enough work space).

Now consider the desk does not have to accommodate the someone in a wheelchair if the desk is accessible from the side (another ADA guideline). If a disabled person can wheel up to the side of the desk, your fine. The desks my wife designed were 30" high, 28" deep, and about 36" across. They had a draw that was deep enough and wide enough to accommodate a pupilometer on one side, pad of paper on the other, and a well for pens, screwdriver, and PD stick.

**EDIT** I should add - from what I've seen of the current offerings from Eye Designs and Fashion Optical, Eye Designs is more form over function - I've seen their tables and they are I think 20" deep which is far to short for me. And their side cabinets are not large enough to accommodate a keyboard. Fashion's desks look much more functional - when Essilor/OSI announced they were shutting down the furniture division, my wife was referring people to Fashion Optical because during her contacts with both companies, Fashion seemed to be more interested in usable design and servicing their customers, whereas Eye Designs was more concerned with how their products looked and didn't seem to care about usability.
    Last edited by Audiyoda; 06-09-2007 at 09:20 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Years ago my uncle used an antique chinese style desk that was apx 30" high. He attached a bar style speed rack to the back on one side to hold all the tools, pens, rulers, invoices ect. It looked great functioned perfectly and because he bought it at an antique furniture store it probably cost him less than 1/2 of what a custom made table costs and added great personality to the store.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I paid about $150 for my sofa table...and thought it was a great deal!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Should have a wide pull out drawer with a loose fit cloth bottom to catch screw, etc. Should have two drawers on each side of same with round bottom compartments (wood, no seems) to hold the most commonly used screws, nuts, etc. in order.
    Addittonal drawers designed to hold pliers, etc. in designated postions.
    One drawer that will separate, order sheets and price lists from various customers.
    Stocks to hold the patient's ankles in place until maxim sale is consumated.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Should have a wide pull out drawer with a loose fit cloth bottom to catch screw, etc. Should have two drawers on each side of same with round bottom compartments (wood, no seems) to hold the most commonly used screws, nuts, etc. in order.
    Addittonal drawers designed to hold pliers, etc. in designated postions.
    One drawer that will separate, order sheets and price lists from various customers.
    I'm not sure that last one will fly in my county :)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    HUH?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dont think my patients would enjoy being held captive.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    My favorite dispensing table is one in which sitting across from me is a client who spends a lot of money never asks for discounts knows what he/she wants and comes every 10-12 months for a new pair of classy spectacles. Then leaves and tells everyone he/she knows how great my establishment is. Is that asking too much?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All we've ever used are sofa tables. They are the perfect size, and the styles are endless.

Two of our offices have dispensing areas with a small refrig, drinking glasses, water, juice, wine, and sometimes beer. The most popular beverage that we serve is water.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    All we've ever used are sofa tables. They are the perfect size, and the styles are endless.

Two of our offices have dispensing areas with a small refrig, drinking glasses, water, juice, wine, and sometimes beer. The most popular beverage that we serve is water.
    Just wondering, don't you need a license to serve alcohol? Otherwise, party on!!! :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Isnt a sofa table too short. Something writing desk ht seems the right ht so you can put your elbows on it when taking measurements.

Wine and Beer? How about a bar and stools? :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would like a dispensing table with a red button that drops PITA customers down into a dungeon with lions! ;-)
    (j/k, that would be mean. They should just drop into the nearest LC!)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seriously, though, our table is shaped like an L with a small cubby (open top and towards me, three walls and a bottom) that holds our tools, heater, etc. The cubby is between two table areas which are 90 degrees from eachother, so it allows two of us easy access to the tools. It gives me a convienent place to hide what I'm doing even though I'm sitting right there w/ the pt. Sometimes, I want my privacy for adjsutments such as, "Will you tighten my nosepads, they are sliding down!" ;-)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No elbows on the table! Where are your manners? ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sofa tables

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    Isnt a sofa table too short. Something writing desk ht seems the right ht so you can put your elbows on it when taking measurements.

Sofa tables are the types of tables placed behind a sofa, not a coffee table that is placed in front of a sofa. They are significantly taller and perfect for dispensing tables. The width is great as well. :)

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    Actually, we do have bar stools w/ backs on them that match the bar.

Thread Information