Thread: Bevels are not boring

Occupation
    Optometrist

Bevels are not boring

Hey lab types! I've never understood the nuance of the different bevel choices available. Can someone go over the high points?

1/3 - 2/3 is standard, right?

50/50 is for high myopes that prefer to have the thick lens centered in the frame?

Is there one where the bevel is a set distance back from the lens front surface, so that all thickness protrudes posteriorly?

Thanks.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile drk......................

You are a hungry optometrist that continously wants to know from us old foxes........................................

I will give you the perfect answer on the other forum (for professionals only) that you can only access if you contribute to optiboard which is either silver or gold status. And I invite all others to do the same thing.

See you there........................:D ..............

Occupation
    Sure there is DRK. Any edger capable of using the VCA (oma) interface standard can be set to almost any location thru the interface of the host system.

The specific one you are asking about is usually referred to as FIXED or FOLLOW FRONT. Which is then followed with a specific distance in mm's. There are about 8 ways you can configure this.

If you are running your edger manually (no interface) then usually you can set these per job via the edger screen.
    J. R. Smith

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

I will give you the perfect answer on the other forum (for professionals only) that you can only access if you contribute to optiboard which is either silver or gold status. And I invite all others to do the same thing.

C'mon Chris! Why be an Optiboard "status snob"?

I know what you're trying to do, and that's cool, but everyone knows that it's there, and will join when they're ready.

The pro forum is very cool and I've finally rewritten my price list because of it (thank MarcE and the rest of you), but I'd contribute even without the extra access. The free-flow of info is the great thing, pro forum or not.

I do admire your tenacity though.:cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    A front bevel places the bevel i the front (you can usually specify the distance from the front) and all the thinkness protrudes out of the back

I like applying this to plastic frames where I will usually measure about how fa back in the plastic that the bevel sits. I also use it on high wraps and polarized, this is because of aesthetics and because with the polarized it doesn't leave that clear ring around the lens front, but with the high wraps it does create other issues that need to be addresses.

1/3 - 2/3 bevel is the default setting on most edgers, because it alows you to set the bevel in an area that keeps the thickness to a minimum through the back without putting too much thickness out font.

1/2 - 1/2 bevel is like you mentioned sometimes necessary for high myopes for more reasons than aesthetics or centering.

Sometimes this has to be done in order for the frame temples to close properly without striking the lens.

Back bevel

The back bevel could be used for high wraps as well, with little to no thickness hanging out of the back of the frame it makes it easiert to fit the lenses into the high wrap frames without alot of hand work.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    60/40 on the Nidek works pretty well for most lens subs.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Fascinating.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I am fascinating.., but bevels?

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Fascinating.
    Is it?

Is it really?

Drk,
    You may need to get out more if you think bevels are fascinating. Where in Ohio are you? Harry Chiling and I are planning a Optiboard *Meet and Drink* in Pittsburgh, PA. But, if you are so enamored with bevels, we may just keep heading west and try to get you out of the optical doldrums and show you that there is more to life!====Beer! We can pick up "THE MESSIAH", otherwise known as Johns, on the way and head on over to your town, USA. You really need to get out more! :D:D

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Oppose.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    \
    Have to oppose above statement......................I am no snob..................never have been a snob............. and never will be a snob.

I have made bevels by hand 40 years ago that your latest techonology beveledgers can't even think about with their computer brains.

And I can tell you it is not boring. But

Fascinating?
    DRK you pulling our legs..........................

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

I know what you're trying to do, and that's cool, but everyone knows that it's there, and will join when they're ready.

The pro forum is very cool and I've finally rewritten my price list because of it (thank MarcE and the rest of you), but I'd contribute even without the extra access. The free-flow of info is the great thing, pro forum or not.

I do admire your tenacity though.:cheers:
    Chris isn't a snob - he's a know-it-all who enjoys the spotlight a wee bit too much. I'm sure Chris reigns supreme in the pay-only forum - exactly why I don't want to join. I don't believe the internet should be status driven - but rather than share his insights here, Chris would rather show off his status and at the same time belittle those of us who (for whatever reason) have not joined via a subscription.

For my money, Chris can stay over on that side - this forum would be much more fun without him.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Supreme Reign,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    I'm sure Chris reigns supreme in the pay-only forum - exactly why I don't want to join. I don't believe the INTERNET should be status driven
    Above are the words by a fellow Optiboard member who has not been yet on that closed forum. There has already been a judgment made that Chris Ryser reigns supreme supreme with out nay facts, in the place he does not know, has never been and is not allowed in.

Obviously this member still has not understood why this was all introduced. License fees, server fees and everything else that goes along with a business that has tons of non paying customers. So the need for some financing came up.

The natural idea to get some financing is to get it from its users on a voluntary basis.

To blame it on one person that is a Little more active by trying to convince members to donate a few dollars toward the operating cost of a place on the net were they can turn to whenever they are bored or want to enlighten their horizon..................is childish at its best.

- but rather than share his insights here, Chris would rather show off his status and at the same time belittle those of us who (for whatever reason) have not joined via a subscription.

For my money, Chris can stay over on that side - this forum would be much more fun without him.
    drk................in my opinion is one of the most knowdgeable, witty and funny posters on the Optiboard.
    He has been around much longer than the accuser in this thread. He has a different character, that can take some humorous remarks................and does not need the defence of .................

And to the remark about "For My money" you should have kept it for youself as you have not even contributed the absolut minimum,

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    Chris isn't a snob - he's a know-it-all who enjoys the spotlight a wee bit too much. I'm sure Chris reigns supreme in the pay-only forum - exactly why I don't want to join. I don't believe the internet should be status driven - but rather than share his insights here, Chris would rather show off his status and at the same time belittle those of us who (for whatever reason) have not joined via a subscription.

A wee little bit harsh, don'tcha think?

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    A wee little bit harsh, don'tcha think?
    No actually. DRK's question is a valid one - Chris decided that it must be privileged information only available to those who anti up and donate (albeit for a good cause).

I'm tired of Chris and his attitude that he knows the web better than anyone (ever seen his web listings based on Alexa users???), he knows chemicals better than anyone and invented any/all chemicals used in the optical trade regardless of having proof he actually did invent them first - and now he's obviously the reigning king of a hidden board.

Occupation
    This realy needs to be taken up privatly and this thread be closed, this is not the place.

-Ibrahim

Occupation

File em in bottom drawer.....................

Thanks Ibrahim..........................

I don't like unsubstantiated frontal attacks with a M16 either.

Some people have learned manners and some don't, we have to live with all of them amidst us. The unlucky ones might have one living right next door.

However on the Optiboard we deal with unknown and anonymous factors so they can easily be filed in the bottom drawer.

Occupation
    Personal attacks are not welcome on OptiBoard, they are also against the forum rules.

If people cannot refrain from engaging in these kinds of attacks, then don't post here. It's as simple as that.

Thread closed.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information