Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any salary range ideas for an Optical Manager

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    Maybe your office will do better if you pay a good optician who can drive in patients and increase your profit with their sales ability. I know brand new offices who are seeing way more than 5 patients a day. It all comes to your previous connections, marketing, and your staff. I live in Northern California and will not move my hand for less than $50K base plus bonuses a year. Lenscrafters here pays between 50K and 65K for their managers. I worked at an high-end optical shop before which had 6 full time licensed opticians, all making over $25 an hour.

It all depends on where you live. I know opticians who work in or near New York City that make 70k per year but when you figure in cost of living there it all evens out. A good optician can worth his weight in gold but most OD's or MD's don't view it like that. As I've said before MD's and OD's are the worst for paying there opticians. I once had an MD I was working who would not give his front end people .50 cents more for sending people to the optical shop. He said they are already given a salary they should be happy to send people for free. At the time they were making minimum wage.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeyecare View Post
    Just wondering...
    when you all mention that the OD or MD can afford paying a manager $20+ per hour...

Would that still be true if the office is new and the office see's about 5 patients per week and the rent is about $4500 per month?
    That's how it is here in California at least.

I support paying a manager $20+ an hour if the office is busy.. but what if the office is new and relatively "dead?"

I have what many would consider a "new" office, and also unsure of what to pay a "manager" type person since we're not really seeing any patients. :(

Sorry for hijaking the thread. But I think my question is related also. :)
    as with most things though, you get what you pay for, so if you're paying your manager less than par, where is her/his incentive to help you grow your business? they're also taking a risk being in a "newer" office with you, so you should be paying them accordingly. if things don't pan out for you then they're out of a job too. opticians can help you save a lot of money if you're hiring the right sort of business savvy person. They're also a great resource (if they're a good salesperson) to help your business get out there and grow. $20 p/h is a fair wage even in a slow office, just let them know what you expect as far as patient growth and that you need/want them to help you with that. giving them longterm incentives (bonus incentive if a certain margin is made, spiff, patient load etc) can also help them want to make your business grow. Your manager is part of your team, and should be paid accordingly.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    as with most things though, you get what you pay for, so if you're paying your manager less than par, where is her/his incentive to help you grow your business? they're also taking a risk being in a "newer" office with you, so you should be paying them accordingly. if things don't pan out for you then they're out of a job too. opticians can help you save a lot of money if you're hiring the right sort of business savvy person. They're also a great resource (if they're a good salesperson) to help your business get out there and grow. $20 p/h is a fair wage even in a slow office, just let them know what you expect as far as patient growth and that you need/want them to help you with that. giving them longterm incentives (bonus incentive if a certain margin is made, spiff, patient load etc) can also help them want to make your business grow. Your manager is part of your team, and should be paid accordingly.
    +1 Wow that was music to my ears when read out loud...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I have openign for NJ optician in Jersey City , if interesting drop me a line or send your resume.

Rising Star OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am in upstate NY a manager with a liscensed staff of 4 all have contact lens licenses we are in a multi MD, OD practice. My lowest paid opticians earns in th $20.00 per hour range with 401K, education, health and paid time off. I would run, not walk if that's what they are offering. That is an indication as to how the business will run. You get what you pay for.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    look for $40k+ , achievable/realistic bonuses, retirement, spiffs, vacation... sleep on it &ask yourself if you can live with what they offer. I'm sure there's other things to consider, but i would see what they have to offer & lay it out on the table. Work weekends= more $$, nights= more $, travel?= more money..... who do you answer to? 1 boss? 2? more than 2? GOOD luck & keep having fun... i know i do!!
    Lens Whisperer

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Convince them of your value and you should easily be able to pull out 50-70K, however, that being said, if it's possible for you, perhaps you can do a contract where after six months they review your progress and pay you the rate you asked based on performance. Sometimes you have to be creative and show them the value up front before they will bite. Just a suggestion!

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    I would not get my hopes up. As I have said many times on this board ( and no doc has refuted it) MD's and OD's don't pay well at all. Around my area in N.Y. outside N.Y. City generally the going rate is around 5 to 10 dollars less than you can get at a chain. Just my 2 cents ;)
    And the chains will grudgingly pay 12-15 an hour.........

Bad address email on file
    Elk Grove Village, Illinois, United States
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm currently working for a new private practice. I helped open the doors and get most things started and I left my previous job for a .50 raise because of the opportunity. I felt that maybe as we got busier I would be offered a raise. I recently passed 6 months and am only making $14/hr as the manager/optician. We are about to hire another person because of the increase in business. I'm wondering if this would be a good idea to ask for a raise now.. I keep seeing all the threads about how much managers are being paid and I feel like I'm being stiffed. Two months ago we started the bonus program, but since we are slower we are staying on a more steady bar so I've only received one bonus. Someone please help!! I'm not sure how to go about asking without upsetting the Dr. I do almost everything here now on my own and we are located near Chicago.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaR View Post
    I'm currently working for a new private practice. I helped open the doors and get most things started and I left my previous job for a .50 raise because of the opportunity. I felt that maybe as we got busier I would be offered a raise. I recently passed 6 months and am only making $14/hr as the manager/optician. We are about to hire another person because of the increase in business. I'm wondering if this would be a good idea to ask for a raise now.. I keep seeing all the threads about how much managers are being paid and I feel like I'm being stiffed. Two months ago we started the bonus program, but since we are slower we are staying on a more steady bar so I've only received one bonus. Someone please help!! I'm not sure how to go about asking without upsetting the Dr. I do almost everything here now on my own and we are located near Chicago.
    Now would be an excellent time to ask for a raise (i feel) just put together a little presentation of what you have done to help his practice grow and make a good margin as well as any ideas you have to keep this growth happening. don't give away all of the ideas, but a few wouldn't hurt. 6 months is a reasonable amount of time for a review and a raise, but they won't do it on their own you'll have to show initiative. having worked for some MD's myself haha. they do have a hard time letting go of their money. Especially if they're hiring another person, you're clearly doing something right here! Show them why you're worth it :)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    looking from the drs. perspective, the practice is only 6 months old. Has he started taking money out of the practice, if not, he is probably going to be reluctant to give you a raise at this time. Remember, the practice is only 6 months old. If he gives you a raise, will that prevent him from be able to hire the needed addition to the practice. If he is not yet taking money out of the practice for himself, how is he going to explain to his family that he just have someone a raise. I understand your desire for more money but you did take the position because of the opportunity. Be patient, take "ownership" in the business in the form of truly wanting to see it grow and succeed. If the dr. sees this desire in you to really be a part of the practice, the additional income will come, but look at it from the standpoint of the business owner as well. BEST WISHES to you in your position, I'm sure you will do well and grow with the practice with the right attitude.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about instead of a "bonus" ask for a profit sharing type arrangement. So keep the $14/hr, but get a percentage of net. This would give you an incentive to both drive sales, and keep costs low. The glitch for you on this is.. you may not be profitable yet. Most likely you are still paying for the paint drying on the walls.

You could negotiate single percentage of gross dispensary sales. Still based upon your sales. Just no incentive to reduce costs.

I have been successful in negotiating raises or bonuses based upon performance goals. For example, I had asked for a hourly rate that my doc didn't think he could afford. We negotiated some metrics to gauge my performance by and if I hit the goals in 90 days, I would have proven my value, and receive the rate. Which I did in just over 2 months.

What is the current bonus concept?
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The time to negotiate is BEFORE you start work, keep that in mind. Negotiate the raises and performance expectations in first.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kentmitchell1961 View Post
    And the chains will grudgingly pay 12-15 an hour.........

Not really! Where I'm at the chains pay 22-25 per hour. Most MD OD offices won't pay more than 18 per hour.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Not really! Where I'm at the chains pay 22-25 per hour. Most MD OD offices won't pay more than 18 per hour.
    I'm in Ohio, considered "low rent" in terms of wages, and I don't know of too many independents that are paying less than $20 an hour. Yes, chains are paying 22-28 per hour.

Now...show me a chain that is hiring full-time. I'm opening a new office in 2 weeks, and interviewed more than a dozen opticians, all working for chains, ALL working part time. Would you rather make $25 an hour for 19 hours, or 20 an hour for 40 hours.

BTW, I was hiring full-time for this particular position.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't talk for your area but around here all chains have everyone on 40 hours now they won't or don't like over time but still I know of no one at p/t unless they want p/t.

Thread Information