Thread: what is the difference between the regular ar coading and Alize coading

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave what is the difference between the regular ar coading and Alize coading

When customers ask me what the difference between the regular AR coading and the alize coading, I really do not know the difference.

thanks for reply

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I believe the Alize is Super Hydrophobic, a better HardCoat on both sides and has alot more layers than the standard Anti-Reflection. Which increase the amount of light let through the lens, thus reducing glare.

Or something along those lines :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

test

test

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Nothing new............................

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesye View Post
    When customers ask me what the difference between the regular AR coading and the alize coading, I really do not know the difference.

thanks for reply
    Before the corporation knights ar jumping in:

The Crizal coating is a registered name by Essilor for the AR coatings that they make and sell in their Essilor and affiliated labs.

They apply a normal AR coating and with an added layer of hydrophobic coating that is evaporated in the vaccum chamber from a pill they purchase in Japan. (not researched and invented by them).

The Alize (also an Essilor trademark) is a coating that goes on top of the Ar coating including the hydrophobic.

It is a a super slippery coating that seals the surface, makes it easy to clean and is anti static.(no dust attraction). Also no Essilor invention as this type of top coating has been around for 20 years.

Actually there are newer versions available on the open market that have not only the anti-static properties but also provide anti-fog properties which Essilor has not yet invented, but probably will in a few years from now.

There are hundreds of AR coating labs from Russia to the Phillipines and China that actually sell this equivalent topcoat on their lenses with anti-stat and anti-fog that is not available in their program.

My apologies to the Essilor poeple but had to jump the gun this time.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Alize to Crizal, the difference is in the ease of clean

Alize versus Carat Advantage or Teflon = depends on who you ask

Alize versus regular no name brand = much better adhesion and less troubles.

Occupation
    Thank you Chris for the informative post

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Thank Chris and for-life

Chris and For-life

thanks for your great help

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Before the corporation knights ar jumping in:

The Crizal coating is a registered name by Essilor for the AR coatings that they make and sell in their Essilor and affiliated labs.

They apply a normal AR coating and with an added layer of hydrophobic coating that is evaporated in the vaccum chamber from a pill they purchase in Japan. (not researched and invented by them).

The Alize (also an Essilor trademark) is a coating that goes on top of the Ar coating including the hydrophobic.

It is a a super slippery coating that seals the surface, makes it easy to clean and is anti static.(no dust attraction). Also no Essilor invention as this type of top coating has been around for 20 years.

Actually there are newer versions available on the open market that have not only the anti-static properties but also provide anti-fog properties which Essilor has not yet invented, but probably will in a few years from now.

There are hundreds of AR coating labs from Russia to the Phillipines and China that actually sell this equivalent topcoat on their lenses with anti-stat and anti-fog that is not available in their program.

My apologies to the Essilor poeple but had to jump the gun this time.
    I wouldn't call myself a corporation knight and I don't represent Essilor. However, you are incorrect in some of your statements. The Essilor Crizal brand represents a coating system consisting of primer, hard-coat, AR coating, and easy clean topcoat. The only difference between Crizal and Crizal Alize is that Alize uses a superior easy clean topcoat. The easy clean topcoat used on Alize lenses is currently the best easy to clean topcoat available on the market today and has not been around for 20 years. It's been around for about 5 years and there are patents protecting the chemistry and use.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FCChemist View Post
    . It's been around for about 5 years and there are patents protecting the chemistry and use.

I think Chris meant to say 20 "dog years".:bbg:

It was still an informative post...

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesye View Post

thanks for reply
    With cheap standard ARs you are much more likely to have the lens craze and badly scratch after awhile. With Crizal I have almost never seen a lens craze or badly scratch unless it was very abused.

Crizal lenses get everyday scratches much less then standard AR lenses.

Add the Alize and you get a lens that cleans much easier and stays clean longer then standard AR.

Crizal and Crizal Alize have a two year multi-time warranty. Most standard ARs have a one time warranty during the first year. I have seen many standard ARs break down and craze during the second year.

A decent standard AR is Zeiss SET. It is a little more expensive then some of the cheapest ARs but I have rarely had one craze or badly scratch unless abused. It is not as scratch resistant or as easy to clean as Crizal or the other premium ARs, though. I do feel okay using it if the patient doesn't want to spend the money for Crizal or other premium ARs.

There are other excellent AR coatings like Hoya Super High Vision and Carat Advantage.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Overstated statement.......................

The easy clean topcoat used on Alize lenses is currently the best easy to clean topcoat available on the market today and has not been around for 20 years. It's been around for about 5 years and there are patents protecting the chemistry and use.
    It looks like you where still in kindergarten 20 years ago..........the super clean top coat 20 years ago without the anti-stat properties has been put on the market by myself who invented it when nobody even thought about it and was purchased by Essilor since that date and Sola a bit later.

I can prove it anytime. In 1991 we had the slick coat with additional anti-stat and anti-fog, which they still dont have. That makes 17 years of being ahead of the corporations. Furthermore these same corporations are all still using it in many countries excepted the USA.

They came up with an in vacuum chamber application 4-5 years ago. They are evaporating a concentrate in chamber. You could have the same with all the goodies from me and they have no patents on this one.

I aplogize to be a bit rough on you, but it looks like you have not done your home work properly, or have been influenced to make statements that could be proved wrong anytime.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hey Chris. Does Essilor still hold that patent on the application process for Alize in Canada? Just curious.

Sort of not purely on topic but for our in coated lenses we use Centopic HMC. No issues with crazing and it's incredibly well priced. Try to put an AR coat on every pair that we sell.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I aplogize to be a bit rough on you, but it looks like you have not done your home work properly, or have been influenced to make statements that could be proved wrong anytime.
    No apologies necessary. And, I have no doubt that the concept of easy clean coatings for ophthalmic lenses was conceived some time ago. So, no proof is needed. However, the current premium easy clean topcoats such as that used on Alize are unique and provide superior easy to clean properties than their predecessors. They are unique not due to their ability to be vapor coated but to the chemistry. Trust me, I have done my homework both in laboratory evaluations and in prior art and literature searches. Feel free to PM me if you want more information.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hey FCC. Do you know if there is any difference between the Lenscrafters Scotch guard lens and Alize. I think they are the same product. This has not been refuted by anyone.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    I made my comments based on my experiences, not what someone has told me (other than my customers who tell me how much they love my coating or yell over a poor crazed coating).

Occupation

Lizia......................

Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Hey Chris. Does Essilor still hold that patent on the application process for Alize in Canada? Just curious.
    Frankly..............I have no clue on that one. The name Alize is not 20 years old, so I would assume if they ever filed one it would still be valid. You can only file for a technique or an application to protect it.

AR coating is more than 50 years old and there are many manufacturers of AR coating machinery, so I can safely assume that there are no more valid patents covering AR coatings in general.

Furthermore the application in the eyeglass industry is peanuts and mickey mouse compared to other fields like electronics, computer chips, instrument optics and dozens of others.

Besides that I dont think they have a patent on Alize, as this is more trade mark issue

You can always make a search on the Canadian Patent and Trade Mark Office site.

So dont call your lenses Alize............call them LIZIA and tell them they are a newer and more efficient version than ...............

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Hey FCC. Do you know if there is any difference between the Lenscrafters Scotch guard lens and Alize. I think they are the same product. This has not been refuted by anyone.
    Not working for either Lenscrafters or Essilor I can't say if they are the same. However, looking purely at performance the easy clean coatings on both Scotchgard and Alize are very comparable.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks Chris. Something to do with applying the coat on Alize lenses in a vaccuum chamber as opposed to another application process. Apparently they could apply with the same tech in the states but not up here. The gist is that if you bought an Alize lens in Canada the slip coat was permanent as opposed to a Nikon which applied differently tends to wear off over a shorter time. Read it on optiboard and not from a rep btw.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper They will invent in a few years................

:bbg:
    Trust me, I have done my homework both in laboratory evaluations and in prior art and literature searches. .
    I trust you fully............I believe you done some homework as you say......................

However I am selling my stuff on a daily basis from Europe to China to customers of which many of them are part of the big corporations structure. And it seems that they love it, and so do their customers at the end of the line, otherwise they would have switched to a product that can not offer the anti-fog version.

However, the current premium easy clean topcoats such as that used on Alize are unique and provide superior easy to clean properties than their predecessors.
    That is your one man opinion...........................but I still have to repeat, that they still have NOT come up with an anti-fog protection...............which they still have to invent in the near future.

:bbg:..........:bbg:...........:bbg:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    :bbg:

However I am selling my stuff on a daily basis from Europe to China to customers of which many of them are part of the big corporations structure. And it seems that they love it, and so do their customers at the end of the line, otherwise they would have switched to a product that can not offer the anti-fog version.
    Chris, I applaud your success and the passion for your products. I also enjoy the discussion.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Change lenses every 2 years.................

The gist is that if you bought an Alize lens in Canada the slip coat was permanent as opposed to a Nikon which applied differently tends to wear off over a shorter time.
    Here on the Optiboard I read just about every week that today's opticians dont even want to put new lenses in a couple of years old frame.

Do you want to the whole job to last forever. ?

When I introduced the first AR stripper in 1984 and advertised in the optical magazines that opticians could now remove those unsightly and partially delaminated AR coatings in seconds, the then Essilor sales manager wanted to sue me for misstating the truth, because there was no such thing as delaminated AR coatings.:bbg:

I believe that we might be overdoing and overstating the facts, Your SUV will rust after a while, your milk will turn sour and the meat might start to rot when not trated properly.

Same with your glasses and lenses. You want hem to be good, but you don't want them to last forever neither.

Specially when people have to change lenses about every 2 years. So lets be reasonable and not oversell the goodies.

:finger:............:finger:..........:finger:

PS: I am now signing off, got to go to bed, to be up fresh and early.

Banned
    Occupation
    Don't forget that brand recognition is all important, more so in this case to the optical dispenser. For consistent quality and reassurance of standing behind the product. I think the above mentioned suppliers will not leave the dispenser hanging.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's not about them lasting forever. From what I remember the other process coating only lasts for about 6 months compared to what one would normally wear a pair of lenses for which is a year right? New lenses every year!

Occupation

Redhot Jumper New lenses every year!....................

It's not about them lasting forever. From what I remember the other process coating only lasts for about 6 months compared to what one would normally wear a pair of lenses for which is a year right? New lenses every year!
    Eddykendance..............you are now talking about something that was valid back in 1984-85 when a 50 year old proven process on glass did not work right on plastic lenses.

When coating equipment manufacturers sell their new machinery from one quarter of a million dollars to one half million to optical companies..................do you actually believe that they won't transfer the latest technologies to their new customers ?

The old times of crappy AR coatings are gone and over, it just could be that the independent lab does not have the big bucks to compete with the large multinational corporations that brainwash the optical world, including the consumers with their heavy duty advertising that tells them that their procedure, which they did not even invent, is the only only one in the world.

All this while everybody else in the coating business has access to the same supplies as the big corporations have.

New lenses every year happens only if the consumer does not take proper care of them, works in a chemical fumes environment, uses acids and solvents on their lenses or abuses them otherwise.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    [quote=Chris Ryser;

New lenses every year happens only if the consumer does not take proper care of them, works in a chemical fumes environment, uses acids and solvents on their lenses or abuses them otherwise.[/quote]

I was being facetious Chris. My little icon never showed up. :)

Thread Information