Thread: Charges

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Wave Charges

Now i was going to put this in "International Optics" but felt a wider viewing was needed (I need more answers really) but to the point.
    Roughly how much do you charge for a eye test ? including field of view and glycoma test (puff of air in eye).
    The reason is to see just how much these test charges vary world wide.
    Here in the UK they range from free if you get your specs here, to quite a lot, saw one charging £38.00 for it. I guess the average is about £15.00 which is about how much the goverment pay opticians per test.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In B.C., Canada, optometrists charge approximately $60 for an eye exam. I think the coverage by medical is $45 approx. (if you have it) Mullo :drop:

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    John,

Our office charges $59 for a comprehensive exam. I have seen other optometrists charge up to $70-$75. Ophthalmalogists, on the other hand, charge around $140 for the same exam. I am sure this varies state to state here.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

John, Exams here in The Republic can vary from "free"with glasses purchase, to $150 dollars. Most ODs charge about $60. Funny, the MDs that actually per the exam personally, charge fro $80-110, while the docs that have a tech do the exam charge between $110 and 150. strange huh? I do know that pts are least happy to have an appointment that costs $150 to have the appointed doc. not do the exam, personally. This group also has by far the highest doctor prescribing error reamkes..any connection there?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Comprehensive Exam

Jo: Preytell what is a comprehensive exam. Are their routine exams less than comprehensive? This is like (some O.D.'s here do this) charging an extra $80.00 on top of regular exam fee for a "contact lens exam" when a "contact lens exam" differs from a routine exam only in the fact that the words "O.K. for contact lenses" are written on the exam.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Comprehensive Exam

Originally posted by chip anderson
    Jo: Preytell what is a comprehensive exam. Are their routine exams less than comprehensive? This is like (some O.D.'s here do this) charging an extra $80.00 on top of regular exam fee for a "contact lens exam" when a "contact lens exam" differs from a routine exam only in the fact that the words "O.K. for contact lenses" are written on the exam.

Chip
    Our comprehensive exam includes the works. Visual fields, Glaucoma (John, we now use drops instead of the puffs of air), refraction and dilation. Our contact lens exam is only $15 additional for a spherical exam and $25 additional for toric or bifocal exam and includes any follow ups that are necessary. The doctor is straight up about the CL exams. We get a bunch of folks who check out 1-800-Contacts for pricing so we keep the CL prices competetive and make sure we give them a reason to come to us based on thorough exams.

Our routine exams involve just not dilating. We don't charge extra for dilation so the price would be the same.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At our locations we charge between $39 and $79 depending on what part of the country.

Bad address email on file Mark Rice's Avatar

Thumbs up

Here at Uof H optomertry college the fee for a full comprhensive eye exam is $60.00 for new patient or $50.00 for an existing patient.

From Houston you all take care................MARK

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Hi from Wales. I charge £20 (Though £30 is nearer the true cost)for refraction, direct ophthalmoscopy, air-puff pressure test(Pulsair2000), slit lamp exam and FDT fields in patients capable of doing the test, but I am the dearest in the town. The NHS pay £15.42 for an openended test that could include anything and everything or nothing. We are forced to charge the shortfall as a secret NHS tax on spectacle wearers. No wonder we are accused of overcharging on glasses. The regulations prohibit us from charging a top up fee!:hammer:
    ph
    Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

Thread Information