Thread: post-lasik eyewear

OptiBoard Apprentice

Question

I myself have only encountered 1 patient who required eyeglasses after the procedure. She only needed help for her night driving. I am curious as to how many post-lasik patients that anyone else had sold glasses to, say after 1 year of their surgery or even several years after??
    I wanted to know how permanent this procedure is.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In the past severaL years I would say I encountered 1 in 3 that needed additional eyewear correction to achieve 20/20.

The corrections were small however it was enough to bother them. One example is the the police officer only needed -0.50 and pl-0.50. The other thing seen was the need for a slight reading corrections especially those in their late 30's and early 40's. Many still used SAR coatings for night driving and and good sunwear one year out and more.

The worse case problems I have seen are the individuals who only have one eye done and decide they don't want the second eye done later.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Don, the dr. next door has seen 42 pts for lasik follow up, 40 have glasses rx's, some are ok with that; others are upset. Doesn't seem to me that lasik is the answer to eliminating glasses, just providing a dramatic rx change, hopefully a similar change in both eyes. many people would not have it done if they realized they'd be wearing "any" glasses. Al.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Don,

Bev probably has much better numbers than I do since I just started a month ago at a lasik center. The ones I'm seeing are about 1 in 5. Mostly for night driving & low light situations. A couple of pair of readers & not much other than that.

We sell a ton of plano suns, but you're talking about correction right? What amazes me is the amount of 20/20 or 20/30 patients that try to sneak in!

I've had one lady who was real upset & she's 20/30. I saw one guy break down & cry because he went from 2400 to being able to see the clock on the wall immediately after surgery. Scared the people in the waiting room!

I don't think lasik is the be all end all, but even the short time I've worked for one I've seen it make a difference in peoples lives!

I hope you're all having fun & making money!!

Framebender

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have seen a jump in Zeiss Gradal RD sales to post lasik patients who still need help with intermediate and near.

Thread Information