Thread: NCLE/CLRE Assistance

Bad address email on file sharonm516's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Exclamation NCLE/CLRE Assistance

As I start my 24 hour review before my exam tomorrow :drop:, I just wanted to get any last minute tips of where to really concentrate my time from those that have already taken the test. Im quite nervous since I have heard the first level of this test is very difficult. I have the Contact Lens Manual Vol 1 and the review course from Quantam Optical that I have been working on.
    If anyone can give me some direction, advice, suggestions I would GREATLY appreciate it!
    Sharon

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Sharon,

I found that the CLSA's material was more than enough to help me pass the test and it's a great reference for the office. I would focus on that, and work through the problems in the back of each chapter and you should do just fine. Good Luck.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Focus on RGP fitting. People tend to think of these lenses as out dated and assume there will be very few questions on the test regard RGP.

Occupation
    Where are you taking your test at?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN View Post
    Where are you taking your test at?
    Wichita Kansas

I will concentrate in the RGP fittings like you all suggest. Thanks so much!!!
    Is this test as difficult as everyone makes it out to be? If so, I can only imagine what the advanced portion of it is like.

Occupation
    Harry is taking the NCLE advanced tomorrow and I taking the ABO advanced tomorrow too. The test is hard but because there is pretty much a set prodedure for fitting contacts it makes it a little easier to remember certain procedures. Where as with the ABO most have had years of doing things there own way which can make if hard to remember the "correct" way.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN View Post
    Harry is taking the NCLE advanced tomorrow and I taking the ABO advanced tomorrow too. The test is hard but because there is pretty much a set prodedure for fitting contacts it makes it a little easier to remember certain procedures. Where as with the ABO most have had years of doing things there own way which can make if hard to remember the "correct" way.
    I hear ya on that!!! I have been in the tech business with both optometry and ophthalmology for over 15 years.....and when you learn on the job its hard to come back to the book stuff. I think thats why this NCLE is going to be so hard for me. I helped my docs design and fit lenses, but I learned their way.
    I plan on taking the ABO in November.....good luck to you guys in your tests tomorrow!!!!! Aterwards, Im going to have a much deserved :cheers:!!!!

Occupation
    Sharon,

As techs, we are not allowed or required to make a diagnosis so it that respect it makes the test easier. You will not be presented witha bunch of situations and asked what to do, you will basically have to regurgitate information that you have had to memorize. The CLSA book is the thing to study, I hope by now you have studied hard. Take the night to relax, eat a good breakfast in the morning, leave yourself plenty of time to get there, and don't second guess yourself. Good luck I'm rooting for you.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I did purchase the Photo Atlas from the CLSA that also has a practice test on it and goes with the manuals from what they informed me when I called them.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just remember that in taking any test. They want the answer to the question. Just as when the oculist ask what is the lowest line you can read, he doesn't want to hear: "I can't read line so and so." He ask what can you read. Tests scored by computer are very unforgiving about this sort of thing.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Thanks Chip!

Occupation
    So, Sharon how'd you do? Or think you did?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    So, Sharon how'd you do? Or think you did?

I think I might have come close to passing. I froze...not that the questions were hard, but the easy ones I thought were too easy and thought too much about. That gets me everytime. I guess we will wait until I get the results. If I didnt pass...I will just take it again in November...along with the ABO.:hammer:
    I hear the ABO is SUPER hard...I have the review from NAO, so after my 1 week vacation from studying...I will start the book cracking again!
    How did you all do????

Occupation
    I think I aced it, but you never know. Everyone that was there recommended Michael Disantos TOPS manual, I looked it over and it is just presented as an easy read, kinda like the cliff notes version for the ABO. Everyone their that tried some other study material said it was too dry but Michaels stuff was easy and made sense. I made it a point to talk to everyone at the testing center and handed out a bunch of my cards and a few CD's full of resources that I have put together. I used the NAO stuff and I did fine on the ABO, I thought it was easier than the CLRE, but on the Advanced level I think it's the other way around the CLRE-AC is easier than the NOCE-AC. Good luck and if need to pick anyones brain let me know, I would love to help.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I think I aced it, but you never know. Everyone that was there recommended Michael Disantos TOPS manual, I looked it over and it is just presented as an easy read, kinda like the cliff notes version for the ABO. Everyone their that tried some other study material said it was too dry but Michaels stuff was easy and made sense. I made it a point to talk to everyone at the testing center and handed out a bunch of my cards and a few CD's full of resources that I have put together. I used the NAO stuff and I did fine on the ABO, I thought it was easier than the CLRE, but on the Advanced level I think it's the other way around the CLRE-AC is easier than the NOCE-AC. Good luck and if need to pick anyones brain let me know, I would love to help.

Oh I will be picking your brain lots for the ABO!!!! Look for my numerous posts in the coming months!:D
    Im so glad that you did well on the test. :cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Confused Need help with the NCLE Test!

I'm taking the NCLE test in 2 weeks and wanted to know if anyone had any information you could give me about the test?! Anything i should really study for last minuet stuff? Any questions that through someone off because they didn't study it or didn't know the answer?
    Thanks so much for your help!!

Thread Information