Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Employees

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is that the same as one year experience ....10 times?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How many people work in your optical deptartment? If it's a total of three, then one third of your customers are dealing with this person as the face of your company!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    How many people work in your optical deptartment? If it's a total of three, then one third of your customers are dealing with this person as the face of your company!

Excactly. Thus he must goeth.

This person put hot glasses on a childs head. (said the kid was lying) This person melted two frames. (said it wasn't him) Yet this person can sell ice to an eskimo, that is why I gave him a chance. I will post how it goes come Monday.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    The number of employees is irrelevant; if you have 1,000 employees, each on is the face of the company.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    About 10 years ago our lab technician left, he had been good and we replaced him with a guy who had been working in a chain mulitple for 5 years.

He was disastrous, never mind the mistakes and breakages, he would try and cover up mistakes and blame the Pt for lenses falling or scratches.
    It did take us a few months to realise the mistake and he went... then followed another 3, but we made it clear it was a 30 day tryout for both sides... they all went too... they all tried to put into our practice what they had been doing in previous jobs.

Finally I took a young man, no experience whatsoever in optics, he had a technical bent and I gave him a one week Clivey Course in the working of the eyes, lenses, prisms, cyls etc..... then the equipment

I made it very clear that we all make mistakes in the lab.... even me...especially me...and I wanted to know if the PD wasn't accurate, if there were scratches on the job, if lenses didn't fit.. in fact every mistake and then I could decide if it was OK to give out.

The quality of work since then is very good, the only problem is that 10 years later he still asks me if 4 degrees off axis on an 0.25 cyl is acceptable.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please note all these "get rid of him" things apply to old employees that don't cut it anymore too. This is even harder to deal with. But once one gets lazy, does sloppy work, makes a habit of not showing up on Mondays, can them.

Chip

Thread Information