Thread: CompBenefits' VisionCare Plan

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist

CompBenefits' VisionCare Plan

We have received a solicitation to become a "VisionCare Plan" (VCP) provider. Is anyone familiar with "CompBenefits" or "VisionCare Plan". Thanks!

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Its the VSP out of Florida . . .

Very similar pricing structure. The difference being that you can run the jobs in house. They'll have a frame benefit. Base lens will be covered and add ons are sold at a discounted price. If you take VSP there is not much difference. They do pay in a timely manner.

Good luck to you!!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 1968 View Post
    We have received a solicitation to become a "VisionCare Plan" (VCP) provider. Is anyone familiar with "CompBenefits" or "VisionCare Plan". Thanks!

Same sort of thing as VSP, as a matter of fact it was VCP was started by two execs that worked for VSP. They are out of Florida.

We take it, but I really don't have many patients on it.

The price structure is alot like VSP. I personally cannot stand VSP and find it to be the biggest scam of all! :D
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you remember the VSP of old with the forms and templates than you will recognize VCP. You have to call for the form to be sent if the patient hasn't already, otherwise it's not difficult to deal with.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I take this plan, but have not seen one patient with it. where are all these patients??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeyecare View Post
    I take this plan, but have not seen one patient with it. where are all these patients??

Perhaps it depends on the area you are in. They are a rarity here too.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We do lots of VCP and VSP

I don't understand why docs sign up for these plans unless you have absolutley no other way to attract patients. I work for a Doc in Fl that sees so many of these pt's and I feel like I am spinning my wheels in the optical. We move a ton of frames each month and make diddly squat for profit. I feel the only people that benefit from third party plans are the pt., the insurance company and the frame companies, and in that order. I wish all OD's would cancel all their third party insurances at the same time. If there were no participating providers these ins. companies would fade away and we could actually start to earn a great living instead of just a good one. The reality is you get screwed as compared to what even a low budget selfpay pt would bring you. The OD's are so willing to give the Ins company a huge discount why not just extend it directly to the pt. and quit making ins. companies rich. This commnet comes with 16 yrs of experience with both of theses companies. There was actually a time when they were affiliated with each other and then split into two separate entities.

With that said, VCP is exactly like VSP. You can pull authorizations and check benefits online. VCP's website is more basic than Eyefinity however. VCP mainly deals with Essilor labs for contract labs but there are a few others. I use Hoya Largo for my VCP.

If you can survive with out them don't do it, if you can't then go for it. You will make money, just not lots of it.

BMH:cheers:

Thread Information