Thread: VoIP

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

VoIP

I'm thinking of switching to VoIP for home phone service and am wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to service plans?

I'd like unlimited calls nationwide ... reliable service ... a friend has vonage and likes it but I currently have landline and now dsl service thru verizon - I notice that verizon now has a VoIP option.

I'm not very techie

opinions appreciated

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

works great

I use Vonage at home and at my office. I cut my phone bills by more than 60%. /simple bills easy to read and understand. Works great. No issues.

Occupation
    Some of the good Voip Companies out theri include:

Packet 8 www.packet8.net
    Vonage www.vonage.com

These are really good services I can personally say are great and the quality is good.

For Voip web based or P2P:

Free World Dialup www.freeworlddialup.com
    Skype www.skype.com

If you have an Asterisk server and want to also set up ANI spoofing then last time I checked Voice Pulse www.voicepulse.com and Nufone www.nufone.net had support for ANI spoofing (fake caller id's)
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    i need to know how much a taxi ride is from la guardia to mid town

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave I use Vonage

Gos Queen,

I use Vonage and have 2 telephone numbers. One Canadian and one USA number. I have it set up so that when the phone rings, it rings my phone and also my cell phone at the same time. I don't have all the bells and whistles (costly here in Canada compared to the states) for service on my cell phone so with vonage I use their voicemail system when I am not available. I can get my voicemail via my e mail or my phone.

I've had vonage for awhile now and no problems what so ever... nada, none... :D

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    With my new job I am going to get Shaw Digital phone with it. I figure I will be doing much more long distance and this would allow me to keep the costs consistent.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Something to keep in mind-- 911 service isn't quite the same in that its put through a central routing office in some distant locale and there can be significant problems should emergency service be required. Another thing to remember is that if your power is out, you don't have a phone other than your cel.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy K View Post
    Something to keep in mind-- 911 service isn't quite the same in that its put through a central routing office in some distant locale and there can be significant problems should emergency service be required. Another thing to remember is that if your power is out, you don't have a phone other than your cel.
    with a lot of phones today you need them plugged in, so it is the same

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    with a lot of phones today you need them plugged in, so it is the same
    If you mean cordless, yes the receiver needs power. But doesn't most everyone with a cordless also have a cord type phone to use when the power goes out?

Occupation
    If you mean cordless, yes the receiver needs power. But doesn't most everyone with a cordless also have a cord type phone to use when the power goes out?
    depends on the person

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good points Cindy..;)

Occupation
    Look up 3CX and download their free PBX, it's has a pretty extensive manual. With 2 Voip lines I was able to set it up so tht when you called my home number a voice promt would give you options to forward the call to my work, cell, my wifes work, my wifes cell, or leave a voicemail. I was tinkering with a method for forwarding long ditance calls and redialing when I got feed up with it and moved on, but you could set up your own PBX on an old computer running windows.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Look up 3CX and download their free PBX, it's has a pretty extensive manual. With 2 Voip lines I was able to set it up so tht when you called my home number a voice promt would give you options to forward the call to my work, cell, my wifes work, my wifes cell, or leave a voicemail. I was tinkering with a method for forwarding long ditance calls and redialing when I got feed up with it and moved on, but you could set up your own PBX on an old computer running windows.
    OMG - you give me waaaayyy too much credit! LOL ... I don't even know how to find my received text messages on my cell phone (pitifully sad, but true):p :shiner: :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Harry,

When is your next trip to China? :)

Eric

Thread Information