Thread: Kirk Model AA2 Question

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Kirk Model AA2 Question

I recently purchased a Kirk AA2 glass lens air hardner. We have had mixed results when drop balling. Several have shattered, even after the polariscope showed a good pattern. I need two things.

First, I need an appropriate thermometer to check the operating temp. of the machine.

Second, any advice on what I may be doing incorrectly on the lenses that break. Some are safety thickness, and some are dress thickness.

Thanks guys.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

I'll give you my thoughts....

In response to your questions, Kirk should be able to provide you with the thermometer you need as well as instructions on how to adjust your unit to the right temp., and #2, usually when lenses shatter right when the air blast comes on it's due to insufficient heating. We used to do glass in house years ago and drop ball testing was always one of those things I hated to do. Like Forest said-"lenses are like a box of chocolates, you never know when they're gonna break, melt, chip, shatter, fall off in the furnace, burn you, etc". It started to get to the point where we began to question whether we needed to bother to drop ball test at all. I warn you not to talk yourself into doing that! If you continue having problems with successful drop ball testing stop trying and send the work out. We decided long ago that the liabilties for glass had become something we needed to "share" with our local lab, know what I mean?? Good luck, Chris.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what I understand, Kirk is no longer doing business.

When I did glass at another corporate store, we never had these issues. Out of the ten or so we have done here so far, at least 4 have broken from the drop ball test.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Yep...

I guess then it may be easy to understand if they are out of business it's because nobody wanted to do that anymore. They switched to chemical units which I believe are less problematic.

Thread Information