Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of this???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Anyone heard of this???

A lady came in yesterday and was telling my staff and I that her progressives are QUADFOCALS. Only she called them FOURFOCALS cause she must not know what quad means.

Anyhoo, she claims that her lenses are progressive, with distance at the top, midrange, reading, then more distance at the very bottom so she can see to play golf. She says it's a new thing. I just sat there and blinked a few times. Crickets chirped in the background. I finally said "How interesting, I have never heard of them" I asked her if I could take a look at them and they read just like a basic prog. on my lensometer.

Did I really miss the invention of the QUADFOCAL???? Or is she insane?

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I forget what it is called I've never used it but there is a lens that has groundview technology, distance rx below the reading.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only thing I have ever heard of called a quadrafocal was a trifocal at the bottom with an add at the top. Used for painters, mechanics and the like that need to see close overhead.

I have heard of same with progressive at the bottom but don't think it has ever been made with progressive at the top due to lack of room superior for an add.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The difinity I believe if fit with enough room has this groundview technology as the call it. The lens effectively goes back in power more towards the distance again. Ask you essilor rep. or Pete Hanlin on the board.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I second Harry. www.definity.com for more info.
    You've got to get above abour 24 seg height (IMO) for it to be worth your while, but it does make stepping down the stairs and things easier. We sell tons of them and our patients love em!
    *I NEVER call them FOURFOCALS!* LOL

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes it is the Definity. Ground view advantage, touts a 4th area that is more like an old R.D. Good for stairs, hiking, etc. I just found out tho.....
    that the Definity Short (makes sense) doesn't have that 4th ground view zone.

I have sold a bunch of these lately and am awaiting the feedback. With our crazy patterned rug and the immediate shock of a new rx. patients can't comment immediately on the change from another design they were in previously.

I would be interested to get feedback from my peers on what your patients have said to you. Sometimes if all is well (like always...) I don't hear about it.

What say you all? I think the patient that said they have quadfocals should go in the thread with the funny things patients say.....that is a good one.

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Didn't know about the 24 seg....thanks for the tip. Anyone else find that they need it that high?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Never heard of this lens before. Sounds like a great idea for the applications indicated.

I wonder though............
    If users of this lens would be more likely to need a little slab prism at this ground view area. Being it is so far from the grinding center there is more likely to be some vert imbalance.
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You could have checked the engraved progressive markings to make a positive identification.
    RT

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Only the short has is

Yes it's the Definity. Only the Definity Short has the ground view advantage. The normal is too long. Makes sense, right?
    I don't have any direct experience with it, just what I have read.

Occupation

Definity AND Definity Short, I believe ...

Reduction in add power below the near zone ... Provides clearer vision and greater clarity for ... going up and down stairs, stepping off curbs, using escalators [whenever the patient needs to look down using the lowest part of the lens.]

The GROUND VIEW ADVANTAGE can be found in both DEFINITY and DEFINITY SHORT.

http://www.definity.com/Professional...+Advantage.asp

Visit the oldest unsolved puzzle in optics ...
    Last edited by rinselberg; 04-22-2007 at 05:04 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post

Reduction in add power below the near zone ... Provides clearer vision and greater clarity for ... going up and down stairs, stepping off curbs, using escalators [whenever the patient needs to look down using the lowest part of the lens.]

The GROUND VIEW ADVANTAGE can be found in both DEFINITY and DEFINITY SHORT.

http://www.definity.com/Professional...+Advantage.asp

Visit the oldest unsolved puzzle in optics ...

Hmmm, I wonder if the Compact and Kodak Concise can be used this way? They also are progressives that stop at the bottom like a blended seg and don't continue all the way to the bottom of the blank.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    I second Harry. www.definity.com for more info.
    You've got to get above abour 24 seg height (IMO) for it to be worth your while, but it does make stepping down the stairs and things easier. We sell tons of them and our patients love em!
    *I NEVER call them FOURFOCALS!* LOL
    Ground View Advantage is effective at a 21mm height on a Definity and 18mm high on a Definity Short. I've fit plenty of people at those heights and they all have seen the the ground view advantage clearly. Fit a pharmacist in one and he loved it because the GVA gave him basically a counter height focal length perfect for counting pills.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd sure hate to play golf with a lens like that. It's hard enough to hit that lil white ball. Can you imagine how awkward it would be to hold your head in a position to see through the very bottom of that lens?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Funny....

How lens companies always rush to blow the horn about their lenses pattented "features", especially when they were completely unexpected and unintended!:D OOOooooh!, Ground View Advantage, GVAmeabreak!:hammer:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    I'd sure hate to play golf with a lens like that. It's hard enough to hit that lil white ball. Can you imagine how awkward it would be to hold your head in a position to see through the very bottom of that lens?
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    How lens companies always rush to blow the horn about their lenses pattented "features", especially when they were completely unexpected and unintended!:D OOOooooh!, Ground View Advantage, GVAmeabreak!:hammer:
    Have either of you tried the lens? I personally like it - not saying I'd golf in them, but how many of your PAL wearers gold in their traditional PALs?

And Back when Johnson & Johnson was developing the Definity they promoted GVA as a design feature/benefit before the lens ever hit the marketplace. So it wasn't an unexpected or enintended feature - it was intentional within the design of the lens.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    Have either of you tried the lens? I personally like it - not saying I'd golf in them, but how many of your PAL wearers gold in their traditional PALs?

And Back when Johnson & Johnson was developing the Definity they promoted GVA as a design feature/benefit before the lens ever hit the marketplace. So it wasn't an unexpected or enintended feature - it was intentional within the design of the lens.
    No, I have not worn it. Nor have a fitted the lens. But, I can tell you this much, I would not suggest to anyone that they try to hit a golf ball by raising their head to try and see under the reading portion of the lens. Yes, I have many PAL wearers that play golf with them on.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    I wonder though............
    If users of this lens would be more likely to need a little slab prism at this ground view area. Being it is so far from the grinding center there is more likely to be some vert imbalance.
    :cheers:
    I've dispensed many of these and haven't had a patient complain about disorientation in the GVA area. One of my pairs of specs is a Definity and I don't notice a problem there either. I'm going to have to bring them in tomorrow and neutralize the GVA zone . . . I noticed the GVA at first because I could see the radio in the center dash in my car clearly without turning my head. It is an interesting and useful feature.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

seems too simple to be patented

The "GVA" seems too simple to be patented. An patent is partially defined as "not readily obvious to someone schooled in the art". It's completely obvious to me and I'm not exactly schooled in the art of progressive design. Why don't all PALs have this feature or have an ever widening near zone as the FH increases?

Occupation
    No, I have not worn it. Nor have a fitted the lens. But, I can tell you this much, I would not suggest to anyone that they try to hit a golf ball by raising their head to try and see under the reading portion of the lens. Yes, I have many PAL wearers that play golf with them on.
    Well, taking my own advice, I wore mine golfing yesterday. Quite honestly as I address the ball it's perfectly in the GVA field without putting my head in an awkward position. Having tried playing with my other PALs, I can tell you that I need to place my head in an awkward position to see the ball even remotely in focus. So as a golfer and as someone who has tried this lens on the golf course, I can honestly say that it works.

That being said, I suggest you give the product a try before commenting.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Audiyoda, just out of curiosity. How tall are you?

Occupation
    Audiyoda, just out of curiosity. How tall are you?
    6' on the nose. The particular eyewear I wore the PAL is set @ 21mm - it's a chassis Airlock with a lens design that I made large enough so I could see how the Definity GVA is utilized.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And you find that it is easier to look through the bottom than the top? How deep is that frame?

Occupation
    And you find that it is easier to look through the bottom than the top? How deep is that frame?
    Let me ask you a question - do you play golf?

I only ask because when I address the ball I'm not cocking or torquing my head down looking straight at the ball. I hold my head fairly upright and gave downward at the ball.

But as I said, the PAL is set at 21mm from the bottom of the lens, hence it's 21mm deep from my MRP.

**EDIT**

Look at the attached picture. Red line is the line of sight to the ball. Green line is approximately the line of sight through the MRP (if the golfer were wearing glasses).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails golfer.jpg  
    Last edited by Audiyoda; 04-24-2007 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Added Picture

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I sure do play golf! This sounds interesting. How far below the mrp does the reading end and the gva begin?

Thread Information