Thread: Question about inserting lenses in zyl frames

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Question about inserting lenses in zyl frames

Hi,

I have just started edging jobs for my practice, and am using a Santinelli 7070SX. So far so good, but I have had difficulty inserting lenses into zyl frames that have deep bevel grooves (like plano sunwear)

If I cut the lenses slightly smaller, they insert nicely into a cold frame but cause squeaky noises when the frame is flexed. Not so good.

I can insert the normal size lenses if I heat the frame, but I seem to create more problems by warping the frame eyewire.

Any suggestions? Or tips on improving my technique with the hot air warmer?

Thanks in advance.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We all have the same problems. What is happening is your groove in the finishing wheel is not as deep as the groove in the frame. So a properly sized lens feels too tight because the lens isn't reaching the bottom of the frame groove. and on all but high minus lenses you can't cut the bevel back.
    First, make sure that you aren't doing a wrap. Wheels can't do wraps well in general, even though I don't have any experience your particular edger. Next, it sounds like you are getting the frame too hot. Put a little heat and roll the top and bottom "eyewire" forward with your fingers. Don't use a tool like you would on wire frame, or you will make permanant dents. Also many times my edger (or maybe it's in the tracer) makes the lenses too long in the A and too short in the B on short rectangles. This will cause the too tight fit with the squeakyness on the top and bottom. I have to take a little off the nasal and temporal edges, and roll the eyewire as I stated above.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Push the sharper top corners in first with a little heat, then kind of slide the frame round the lens on the nasal curve.

Get some old frames and practise practise practise.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Correct.......................

Quote Originally Posted by RGC_man View Post
    Get some old frames and practise practise practise.

That is the only way to master htis problem.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Language of optics- The beveled lens is inserted into the bezel (with a Z) of the frame. Neat scrabble word!;)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    As everyone else says, Practice will help a lot. What you might try is to heat the frame one side at a time (you should get a salt pan - I hate hot air blowers), then bend the frame slightly around your finger. Insert the temporal side of the lens, then the upper nasal side, finishing with the lower nasal side. usually this will allow you to snap the frame over the least sharp corner of the lens last, with resulting least distortion of the frame. Of course, once you get the lenses mounted, you then "Square" the frame, making sure the lenses are co-planar and the temples are square with the front and level.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Is there any sound in the world quite as satisfying as when a lens snaps into a frame cold?

Sweet.

:cheers:
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is there any sound in the world quite as satisfying as when a lens snaps into a frame cold?

Sweet.

:cheers:
    Yes- The sound of a benchman running hands under cold water after removing blazing hot PGX glass lenses that were stretched into an old heavy nylon frame. The smell of burning fingertip flesh would eventually dissipate from the lab:p .

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile Sweet........................

Sweet.

As Sweet as a lans or two popping out of the frame on a cold day on the ski hill. :D

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Yes- The sound of a benchman running hands under cold water after removing blazing hot PGX glass lenses that were stretched into an old heavy nylon frame. The smell of burning fingertip flesh would eventually dissipate from the lab:p .
    Oh gosh! When I was being trained at White-Haines Optical, one day the on-road salesman walked in just as an S-7 lens fell out of their huge air hardener and rolled across the floor. So, being the helpful guy he was, he reached down and clipped it between two of his fingers. And proceeded to dance around the floor, trying desperately to drop this lens which was now stuck to his fingers. We grabbed him and took him over to the water fountain and ran the cold water over the lens to shatter it. It broke, but parts of the lenses were still stuck to his fingers so he had to go to the hospital to get the glass shards cut off surgically.
    The smell took two days to dissapate.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

Suuueeeyyyy........

If that happenned today that guy would have retired from the settlement the lab would have paid for permitting untrained workers access to an obviously dangerous work area. Great post though, I can just see him dance!!:hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Drop it Like its Hot!!!!!

Some would say that your not a "True Optician" until you've done the HEAT TREAT SHUFFLE.

I know that I've had the misfortune of high stepping to that dance a time or two. We use to kid around and ask whoever was near the unit when a lens would come out if they could grab them for us. Surprising how many fools fell for that. :shiner::D:D

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Some would say that your not a "True Optician" until you've done the HEAT TREAT SHUFFLE.

I know that I've had the misfortune of high stepping to that dance a time or two. We use to kid around and ask whoever was near the unit when a lens would come out if they could grab them for us. Surprising how many fools fell for that. :shiner::D:D
    Well, I've done the chem treat shuffle. Once one of the baskets I was dropping had a non-visible amount of moisture still on it. Splash! Got my thumb and nail of my index finger. The bag O' Ice was my best friend for awhile. Got some nice leather welding gloves for the that now. All three times this year for glass.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

Wow...3 times..??

You "ARE" the king of glass!:D Poor Corning glass works, they should have bought out Transitions years ago! Too late now:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Back to the point

The reason the a measurement is a little big is because the the santenelli 7070 seems to flex/flatten the lens a little when you close the chuck. My solution is to ues the handweel to trim a little off the nasal and tempral of the lens. If the frame squeeks too much I fill the top & bottom of the eyewire with elmers glue, wipe the exess off with a papertowel leaving enough to fill the bottom 1/3 of the bevel. The glue shrinks when it dries and when the lens is inserted it is soft and flexable enough to stop the squeek.

I still have the scars on my fingers from a lens from my first experience with a case hardner 13 years ago. Someone I apprenticed under told me to take the lenses off the tray. He didnt tell me that the lenses came out of the hardner 45 seconds earlier. I had blisters the size of dimes on my thumb and index finger.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    The reason the a measurement is a little big is because the the santenelli 7070 seems to flex/flatten the lens a little when you close the chuck. My solution is to ues the handweel to trim a little off the nasal and tempral of the lens. If the frame squeeks too much I fill the top & bottom of the eyewire with elmers glue, wipe the exess off with a papertowel leaving enough to fill the bottom 1/3 of the bevel. The glue shrinks when it dries and when the lens is inserted it is soft and flexable enough to stop the squeek.

I still have the scars on my fingers from a lens from my first experience with a case hardner 13 years ago. Someone I apprenticed under told me to take the lenses off the tray. He didnt tell me that the lenses came out of the hardner 45 seconds earlier. I had blisters the size of dimes on my thumb and index finger.
    ELMERS GLUE? Is that some kind of joke? I hope you are kidding!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No Joke

Elmers glue works quite well. I got the idea from Hilcos liquid washer. Try it for yourself. By the time the glue dissolves the frame will be a little looser from wear & tear and will squeak less.

Thread Information