Thread: Are todays eyewear styles unflattering?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Are todays eyewear styles unflattering?

Have you ever noticed in movies and TV when they want to make a pretty woman unattractive they put dark plastic frames on her and put her hair in a bun?

I sell lots of dark plastic frames, people want them and like them. However, I honestly don't think they really flatter most people. I do like them on some, but when most women(and some men)put them on, they overwelm their faces. They might look stylish and fun but they really don't make the person look better.

How do you feel?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper You will adapt without warranty...................

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    How do you feel?
    Happylady........You have around long enough to witness a major change of fashion.

I used to fly a lot on one airline in the early 70s when the "stewardesses" wore mini skirts and all male passengers liked it. Then suddenly, no more miniskirts, but maxi skirts. We used to joke and tell them they looked like dressed in salvation army uniforms.

I the 1960s there was a new fashion in glasses similar to the one now. Dark plastic frames.

For the one that is around frames on a daily basis you will get used to a fashion that last's a few years and when a sudden change comes, you might not like it, but you will adapt, "like you tell your PAL customers".

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    For the one that is around frames on a daily basis you will get used to a fashion that last's a few years and when a sudden change comes, you might not like it, but you will adapt, "like you tell your PAL customers".

My grandmother used to say that the fashionistas take all the fashions, put them in a big barrell, and turn it upside down every 20 years :bbg:

I find the fashion of strongly linear frames, combined with heavy zyl, to be unflattering to women especially. We'll just wait this one out.

And who knows -- next, maybe we'll see the return of the 56-60 eye aviator on small faces
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss View Post

And who knows -- next, maybe we'll see the return of the 56-60 eye aviator on small faces
    It's already started in sunglass lines. What I've had a problem with is everything out there now is rectangular. Where are the round and ovals? Not everyone looks good in square shapes.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You just can't help yourself, can you Chris?

Red Sox Red Sox Red Sox optirep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hey People thought they looked good with a 58 eye Deeda! Times they are changing

I carry a 66 eye pilot(Brand New) and I have rounds in metals and platics!

Red Sox Red Sox Red Sox optirep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Wink

Happylady........You have around long enough to witness a major change of fashion.

I used to fly a lot on one airline in the early 70s when the "stewardesses" wore mini skirts and all male passengers liked it. Then suddenly, no more miniskirts, but maxi skirts. We used to joke and tell them they looked like dressed in salvation army uniforms.

I the 1960s there was a new fashion in glasses similar to the one now. Dark plastic frames.

I agree with you on this one Chris!!:)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Have you ever noticed in movies and TV when they want to make a pretty woman unattractive they put dark plastic frames on her and put her hair in a bun?

I sell lots of dark plastic frames, people want them and like them. However, I honestly don't think they really flatter most people. I do like them on some, but when most women(and some men)put them on, they overwelm their faces. They might look stylish and fun but they really don't make the person look better.

How do you feel?

When in the movies and on TV they put dark frames and a bun on a pretty woman they are not trying to make her unattractive but perhaps playing to the fantasy of her taking out the bun and removing the glasses. I have a few pairs of dark zyl frames and I consider them "a look". They look great with a black turtleneck, hair up, great earrings, and red lipsitick to balance it all. My fiancee finds it quite attractive and I think it's fun. I do think one should also have another pair for everyday, otherwise they can wash you out. Men with dark hair and eyebrows look awesome in a dark zyl but that is just my opinion.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    24/7 is right on about the lack of oval/round. I've had customers complain about this over and over, but I just can't find any decent, modern ovals.
    Having said that, most customers are so used to looking like an idiot they insist on keeping it up, presumably so their friends and family can recognize them.
    My personal frames are always "classic" styles that fit with any wardrobe, etc...I have some dressy and some casual, but no "weird" stuff. But that's me, and I ain't selling to me.
    A man with a small tie knot in a spread collar thinks he looks ace, and the fat woman (no offense to fat chicks) thinks exposing the midriff is sexy; I've learned it's best to gently encourage a better direction but leave them to their illusions.

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of the frame that I wear looks pretty close to one that I got Married in that was 37 years ago. personally I like the retangle frame as they suit my face but your right we need some round and ovals Lets' bring back the carbon frame.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

frame styles

i also find it scary that some of these large company's can set some of the trends - becuase when these purchasing excutives decide to buy something lets say for 1000 of there stores - it is a good possility that they will start some sorta trend -

even if they have the worse of taste - and dress in polyester !!
    lol

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mitchell View Post
    I've learned it's best to gently encourage a better direction but leave them to their illusions.

Or you can leave them to their delussions!!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper New old...................

I once made a big mistake with a few thousand fancu frames I bought out of a bancrupty of a distributor and got stuck with them Now that they come back into fashion I might even find somebody who wants the old and again newest fashionable style models. :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I once made a big mistake with a few thousand fancu frames I bought out of a bancrupty of a distributor and got stuck with them Now that they come back into fashion I might even find somebody who wants the old and again newest fashionable style models. :hammer:

Yeah, where's Selecta when you need them?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

there's a frame for every face and a face for every frame

We have been selling a lot more zyl in the past year. I truly believe that almost anyone can look good in zyl if they find the right shape and color. I wear a dark tortoise angular Gucci frame and patients compliment me on it all the time. Many of them will try it on (I keep one on the boards because I would never let them put my frame on their face!) but I've only sold it once. Metals look good on a variety of faces but zyls need to be more of a custom fit. Most of of our patients get zyl frames as a spare pair and want something more fun than their everyday glasses. The key is to have a wide variety of colors...not just tortoise and black. We are selling much more burgundy, blue and green than black. Yesterday I sold a beautiful double laminate green Prada frame to an 86 year old woman and she looked fabulous!

Thread Information