Thread: Essilor TD2 Scratch resistant Coating ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bad address email on file

Essilor TD2 Scratch resistant Coating ?

Hello:

Can anyone tell me anything about the TD2 Essilor lens scratch resistant coatings.

Worth an additional $ 40.00 ?
    How can one be sure it's actually been applied?

Better ones avail.?

Thanks,
    Bob rgsrose@tiac.net

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The TD-2 scratch resistant coating (SRC) is the coating used under the AR to make Crizal. I'm sure that it's a very good coating but question whether it's any better than any factory applied SRC--all of which carry a warranty and are significantly less expensive.

Most mid- and all poly and high-index lenses come with a double sided SRC. CR-39 is available with CX SRC; if you feel you need a CC coating as well, most labs can add a backside coating at a nominal cost.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For the TD 2 I charge 40.00 extra. We all have to make a living and not a killing.

It is worth it.
    Last edited by Matthew; 06-23-2001 at 04:55 PM.

Thumbs up

We use the TD2 coating frequently and it is worth it. The warranty is the same as Crizal warranty and you can't beat it. It comes with an "authenticity" card and you give it to the patient and they can feel good about their purchase.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Bobb is a customer rather than an optician, and you just ruined his enjoyment of his card. :)

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question mmm

Originally posted by Maria
    I think Bobb is a customer rather than an optician
    My take was the same, once again retail showing just how much they up prices to the punter.

Bad address email on file Rick-Strong's Avatar

Redhot Jumper TD2

We use TD2 alot. The only major problem is if its not stock, its a delay getting it. The warranty is great and it certainly does seem to be worth the extra paid.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb TD2

TD2 is definitely a legit coating. One way to prove that there is TD2 coating on the lens is to try and tint it. TD2 will not allow any tinting of the lens. If you ever want to put UV filter in a CR39, TD2 coated lens, you have to do it before the coating is applied.

TD2 is a tedious process and goes through a strict quality control step. They will not even send a lens to me with any defect. I always tell my patients that TD2 is a special coating that is upheld to the most strict standards. I explain that if there are any defects in the coating at all, the lens will have to be totally remade and coated. Therefore it may take a little longer to acquire. I have not had one patient not understand. My lab is very good at informing me when a lens does not pass mustard so I can call my patient and let me know.

I have been dispensing TD2 for 2 years and out of the hundreds of TD2 jobs I have dispensed, about 5% have been returned for scratches. I have not had one complaint about the price or the product. In fact, I've had less complaints about TD2 than the old scratch resistant coating that we sold before.

Those of you who think TD2 is just another scratch coating are misinformed.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The info you posted on TD2 is good - thank you !! - the term is "pass muster" which is a military term describing the soldiers showing their officers that they are dressed and equipped properly - Passing mustard is done with hot dogs

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Re: TD2

Originally posted by slate83
    My lab is very good at informing me when a lens does not pass mustard so I can call my patient and let me know.
    I've never seen a lens pass mustard before. Can they do Ketchup as well? :bbg:

(sorry - I know we all make typos, but this one gave me a good, desperately needed laugh, so I had to share.)

I believe the proper term is "pass muster".

Blake

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile One passes muster and cuts the mustard.

I used to teach idiomatic American English in Korea and a bit in Germany as well. This mistake is very forgivable as even the strongest native English speakers will confuse what gets cut and what gets passed all the time (eg. cheese vs ketchup, "the wind" vs gas, weak players vs marginal students).

Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    I've never seen a lens pass mustard before. Can they do Ketchup as well? :bbg:

(sorry - I know we all make typos, but this one gave me a good, desperately needed laugh, so I had to share.)

Blake

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OMG

"Bobb" the poser, now knows that we are all crazy as moon bats and he has no idea if he should believe anything we are saying.
    Let that be a lesson to you Bobb the poser, stay outta our turf.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Re: Re: TD2

Originally posted by Blake
    I guess this is better than 'passing gas'. Or even worse - 'passing mustard gas!' :D

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    However, a lens could cut the mustard :)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb Mustard

Thanks for the correction, Blake.

And yes, I use mustard to test my lens. Don't you?

Is there a difference between cutting the mustard and cutting the cheese?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

umm, yeah... sure... mustard...

Sure I use mustard... but only the store brand. The high end place down the street uses Grey Poupon, though.

Blake

Rising Star
    TD2 is worth the wait in my book. The warranty they offer is one of the best I have seen. The patient has to decide if they want a 1 year lens or 2 year lens. Some will pay extra if they only get their eyes examined every 2 years and some will say their Rx is changed every year, so they settle for the 1 year lens. I try to explain to those folks how much better the TD2 will look throughout that year. It's not just about the warranty. That just shows how much faith the company has in their product.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, no, no. If the lens is bad, or wrong, then it doesn't cut the mustard. This is entirely different different to cutting the cheese, which is often blamed on the lens, eg
    :( "Have you cut the cheese?"
    "No, there's a high index lens on the machine, that's what the smell is.

clf8018
    Zeiss has also released a new scratch coating called "Foundation" which carries a 2 year warranty. I've been told that it exhibits comparable scratch resistance to TD2, but superior chemical and heat resistance for about the same price.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Holy thread revival

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sendycrox View Post
    There is no way to remove scratches from eyeglass lenses. If there was our optical lab would buy the stuff by the gallon. We could then reduce our scrap rate and increase our profit. (Please note: You'll probably have to discuss glass lenses with your department's Safety Officer due to liability concerns.) Glass lenses can sometimes have scratches buffed down, but when doing that we can induce a wave into the lens surface nullifying the scratch but making the lens less usable.

How to prevent getting scratches in eyeglass lenses? Glass lenses. No, I'm not being a smarty pants either. They can be made to meet the current standard, OSHA Z87.1-2003. Glass lenses will melt, but if you get them hot enough to melt (about 2500 F) you're having a really bad day. Glass lenses are heavy and can break much easier than plastic, polycarbonate or Trivex but it is super scratch resistant. If you wear your glasses behind a face shield the face shield should take any impact you would need to be concerned about. We have made Rx lenses for many of the local FD and PD's. Most use an insert that goes behind the mask.

Plastic type lenses can be made more scratch resistant by the addition of scratch resistant coatings such as Foundation by Zeiss or TD2 by Essilor. These coating are proven to be far more durable than ordinary uncoated lenses or lenses with the factory applied hard coating.

Eyeglass lenses can last quite some time scratch free with the same care you show your truck's finish. Would you ever clean your truck with a dry towel? Nope, but a lot of people do. So before you wipe your lenses, wet them. Clean them with warm water and a hand soap free of moisturizers. Rinse them using warm water. Use microfiber towel to clean and to dry them. Use light pressure when wiping them. And finally as the owner of our optical lab loves to say "On your face or in their case."

These opinions are based on my 27 years in the wholesale optical business. I am the Client Service Manager for one of the largest optical labs in the US. Board certified optician and all that......
    I’m pretty sure you are a bot. Your entire post is a direct quote off another forum from 2010.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sendycrox View Post
    Yep, that was the words from my other old account from another forum.
    I think that will be useful right here.
    well, my apologies for being rude.

Thread Information