Thread: edger/tracer question

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

edger/tracer question

What is the best equipment to use to edge 18 mm small "b" measurement frames and what is the best choice in equipment to edge high wrap frames and lenses ? Is the high wrap problem confined to the tracer and not the edger ? Is the small "b" edging problem primarily a edger constraint or is it also a tracer constraint ?

I assume that when it comes to modifying shapes by changing the "b" measurement then this is strictly a matter of whether the tracer can edit the shape ?

Are there upgrades to a Nidel 7070 LE built in tracer that would allow it to edit shapes ?

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Almost all current edger models can do an 18 B measurement. I have also made nome modifications to some older models to do the same. "machining down the chucks" etc...
    As far as tracers, I have always traced one lens only on wraps by clamping only one side of the frame. This allows the stylus to not have to reach so high while maintaining the correct curve of the frame.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticLabRat View Post
    As far as tracers, I have always traced one lens only on wraps by clamping only one side of the frame. This allows the stylus to not have to reach so high while maintaining the correct curve of the frame.
    Does this work even with tracers that supposedly aren't 3D? I'm using an Essilor Phi.

Thanks much.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss View Post
    Does this work even with tracers that supposedly aren't 3D? I'm using an Essilor Phi.

Thanks much.
    Are you thinking that the Phi isn't "3-D"?

'Cause, it is.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Shanbaum. I obviously got wrong information (I won't say from whom :)).
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Yeah, it works but you sometimes have to size then lens A size down.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    What is the best equipment to use to edge 18 mm small "b" measurement frames and what is the best choice in equipment to edge high wrap frames and lenses ? Is the high wrap problem confined to the tracer and not the edger ? Is the small "b" edging problem primarily a edger constraint or is it also a tracer constraint ?

I assume that when it comes to modifying shapes by changing the "b" measurement then this is strictly a matter of whether the tracer can edit the shape ?

Are there upgrades to a Nidel 7070 LE built in tracer that would allow it to edit shapes ?
    This is a very complex issue. Tracing a wrap frame and edging a wrap frame each have issues. The edging of a 8 base wrap frame using a wet edger with 6" to 8" dia wheels is very difficult to achieve good results. This is primarily due to the fact that the bevel can not be placed on a lens with a flat A dimension. (The V groove of the wheel will cut into the bevel on a lens that is not very round.)

Small B measurements are a result of software design and mechanical design. I like the Optronics dry edger if you don't want to invest in a 4 axis $200,000 industrial edger. The Optronics is only 3 axis but the blade diameter is small enough to allow you to place a bevel on most 8 base lenses. (It is going to be perpendicular to the lens optical axis, and will not follow the radius of the sphere of the lens curve.)

To do the job right the bevel should follow the radius of the sphere so that the bevel is not perpendicular to the optical axis.

Thread Information