Why didn't you think of this Chris?

http://www.livescience.com/technolog...30_no_fog.html

:)
    "A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist."
    Franklin Jones.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Why didn't you think of this Chris? ....................

Quote Originally Posted by RA View Post
    Why didn't you think of this Chris?
    I actually did.................however hidrophilic coatings so far have all become tired absorbing water and stop working after a while.. The japanese came out with water absorbing Rx lenses 4 years ago, which stpped working after 5 month of use.

The invention you are talking about is still 5 years from commercialization, which means not yet working right.

A few years back we came up with a treatment were you would insert a non coated CR 39 lens into a hot solution in the due pot for 15 minutes and it became hydrophilic and would not fog up at all. However it only lasted abouit 3 month and then had to be re-done.

At this time the only effective Anti-Fog products come in spray-on bottles and if you apply them the right way they work perfectly, but when you wet clean the glasses you have to repeat the application, and that after all is not that akward.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I actually did.................however hidrophilic coatings so far have all become tired absorbing water and stop working after a while.. The japanese came out with water absorbing Rx lenses 4 years ago, which stpped working after 5 month of use.

The invention you are talking about is still 5 years from commercialization, which means not yet working right.

A few years back we came up with a treatment were you would insert a non coated CR 39 lens into a hot solution in the due pot for 15 minutes and it became hydrophilic and would not fog up at all. However it only lasted abouit 3 month and then had to be re-done.

At this time the only effective Anti-Fog products come in spray-on bottles and if you apply them the right way they work perfectly, but when you wet clean the glasses you have to repeat the application, and that after all is not that akward.

Say, Chris, I was wondering. I recently drove to Illinois to visit my daughter. We went through a lot of rain. I usually use Rain-X on my windshield, but forgot this time.Then I thought - I wonder if Chris' lens hydrophobic treatment could be used on a car windshield? It should work at least longer than the basic alcohol formulation.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Will try........................

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV;183871
    [B
    Then I thought - I wonder if Chris' lens hydrophobic treatment could be used on a car windshield? It should work at least longer than the basic alcohol formulation.[/B]
    I have never tried it. It probably works for a while but the abrasion of the wipers will damaga it fast. I do have another prroduct that might work even better and will put it on my windshiel next week for the long trip going north. Will let you know, or bug me about it.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Aquapel by PPG

The best commercialized automotive glass treatment today is Aquapel by PPG. The coating is a fluorinated silane that chemically bonds to the hydroxyl groups of glass providing a durable treatment. The coating is durable to windshield wipers. However, since the coating is an ultathin coating (nanometers in thickness) it is not durable to long term UV exposure, and thus, lasts 3-4 mos. During that time period though the performance if very impressive.

http://www.ppg.com/gls_aquapel/

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I have never tried it. It probably works for a while but the abrasion of the wipers will damaga it fast. I do have another prroduct that might work even better and will put it on my windshiel next week for the long trip going north. Will let you know, or bug me about it.

Well, the Rain-X also has the same conditions to work with. I find it lasts about a week or two, if not too much rain, using the wipers. Of course, at highway speeds, the rain runs off so fast you don't need wipers.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information