Thread: Bringing An Optometrist On-Board

Bad address email on file

Bringing An Optometrist On-Board

OPTOMETRIST-P/T needed for 25-28 hrs wk. Excellent position for OD looking for permanent part-time.

I see ads exactly as you see this one above every now and then in our Sunday classifieds... I have a really terrific opportunity to relocate my dispensary to a great location; the addition of an Optometrist would enhance the appeal two-fold...What might an OD be looking for in the way of compensation for these many hrs. on a weekly basis? I was told quite frankly that an Optometrist would have some difficulty turning down a minimum of $40.00 per hour for two 6-hour days a week!...I do know most ODs do rent space; I don't know how to structure a Lease Agreement!
    ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT-JUST NEED A LITTLE DIRECTION. Thanks,

John S.
    a.k.a. EyeCon

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

John, depending upon the laws in your state, you could have several arrangements. The one I prefer can work in most places and safest for you. Offer the doctor the opprotunity to establish and independent practice of optometry within or beside your practice of opticianry.

Hired help tends to be less permenant. I would lease the OD a space and offer to help with such things as making appointments, receiving and preparing patients. This makes you both look good and appear to have a more equal professional posture.

If you want to discuss this more you can e-mail me directly.

Homer

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

John, three yrs. ago, an adjoining space became available, one OD that looked at the situation, said "it would be too difficult to make $150 an hour", so he passed. Another OD wanted me to finish out the space, provide all of the equipment, pay the rent, and he "would be there fitting contact lenses 3 days a week", I passed! Finally an OD liked the situation, my landlord covered most of the finish out, the OD leased his own equipment, pays his own rent, etc. My business does the same as before, but many of our clients like the convenience. He is doing fine, but does some fill in work for other more established OD practices. He just does exams and contacts. In Texas, we can't book appointments for his practice, nor can we have any common entrances,etc. But this is a good relationship. The clients have convenience, we are each independent, neither employer nor employee of the other, provide excellant service to those pts that are mutual. Our relationship is respectful of each other's professional skills. And our pts are quite happy.

Thread Information