Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips On How To Sell..........

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Lightbulb Tips On How To Sell..........

Well this is similar to the tips on dispensing thread but this thread has to do with sales in particular.

Majority of you are Opticians but i'm just a average salesperson working at a optical store and i thought it would be a great idea if we can combine are sales techniques, knowledge tips and tricks on how to become a selling machine :D.

We can discuss topics such as:

- Welcoming the customer when they enter your store (Most effective approaches)

- Reading the customers attitude through body language and facial expression

- How to sell coatings

- Choosing the right frames for certain customers (Different face shapes)

- If your a independant store how to attract someone who has been going to let's say good old lenscrafters, laying down the benefits.

- Customer unable to make decision, dealing with customer excuses
    "i'll come back later", "i don't know what looks good on me" etc. Basically closing tools.

These are just a few examples, just to give you a overview of the topics we may discuss. There are many more problems we may encounter and it's possible we might not be able to give the best answer on the spot, so why not be prepared with the best possible answers????

Improving your sales= Improving your business

Whats the point of having a lab tech. if you can't sell

Once again this thread is dedicated to salesmanship, why not combine our thoughts, experiances and become from average salespersons to people that can sell with their eyes closed. I hope this works out and maybe this can become a sticky, we'll see :cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'll start off: Welcoming the customer

When a customer first walks in the store many people make the mistake of approaching the customer instantly which isn't a good idea because you might scare the customer or put them in a uncomfortable position. So give the customer some breathing air i would say about fifteen seconds now this varies for different people. In the meantime we can note the approximate age of the customer, what section of frames is the customer viewing, are they carrying any prescription, insurance form or business card of competitors etc. This will certainly give us a building block on how to approach the customer.

Now comes the actual greeting which i believe is very important because a customer will know exactly what type of person he's dealing with as soon as you open your mouth or with your facial expression :).

I say "hello" my name is so and so and i welcome you to this store. Is it your first time here????? Well than let me give you a brief history of our store. Basically when the store was established, how many locations you have, what type of products you carry etc.

I than ask them a few questions first being

- Are you looking for a eye exam or do you already have a prescription

If you notice not to many customers will dish out the prescription you have to work hard to get it out of their pocket most of the time. This is a great question to ask because they have to give you an answer :cheers:.

- Direct them to the frame section most suitable for them depending on their age and interest.

You can also look at the current glasses they are wearing if they do wear glasses and get a idea of their personal taste.

- So how do you like your current glasses???? Are you thinking of getting something around the same line or want to try something new for a change.

Show them the new current styles but something that will suit their face. Of course keeping single vision and progressive in mind.

- Now while they are looking at the frames, explain to them the current sales you have on your lenses or frames, buy one get one free and the like.

- Once they have all the info tell them to take their time looking and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Don't leave the customer but stay close to them and observe what frames they are trying on.

This is the end of the greeting meeting i call it, you have established friendly conversation with the customer and don't forget to smile.

Please add your own greetings or different type of approaches.
    Last edited by Spexx; 03-27-2007 at 12:21 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Thumbs up

Top Retail Salespeople...

1. Are able to relate to people easily. They can build rapport very quickly; understanding people are different and each type requires appropriate approach and conversation.

2. Let the customer talk most of the time (preferably 80% of the time) by asking open ended questions to discover the needs and requirements of the customer.

3. Can recognize and relate to the objections and do not get defensive when handling objections.

4. Are able to identify and prioritize the requirements of the customer; and not just the apparent ones but possible hidden needs like status and prestige.

5. Know their products or services inside out and are able to find a good match between customer requirements and what the product and/or service can deliver.

6. Talk about benefits rather than features. They are able to express benefits in a simple yet effective and relevant fashion.

7. Always look for ways to improve their skills and knowledge. They attend seminars, read books and listen to tapes and CD’s to discover new ways of increasing their effectiveness and productivity.

8. Are determined to win. They clearly understand the definition of success in their environment and the rewards that are attached to attaining it. They like to talk about their major achievements and look forward to doing even better.

9. Are self confident and generally happy people. They don’t necessarily show their burning desire to win to the outside world.

10. Like to help others when they can afford the time, however they also clearly understand that time is the most important resource they have and the only one that can not be recovered.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Thumbs down

10 Common Mistakes Retail Salespeople Make

1. Failing to build a rapport with the customer. From a simple greeting to a little chat about niceties, non-sales directed small talk go along way in developing an easier and more open mood in the customers.

2. Failing to find out customer's requirements.

3. Focusing on their own agenda instead of customer's.

4. Not giving customers the majority of the air time.

5. Confusing "telling" with "selling". Not listening or not hearing what customer is saying.

6. Not knowing the prevailing promotions, specials and regular pricing.

7. Not differentiating the product/service/store/company enough to create additional value in the mind of the customer.

8. Selling too fast, trying to close before the customer is ready to buy.

9. Fail to address objections properly not realizing that satisfactory resolution of the objectives is the shortest distance to purchase.

10. Not taking advantage of add-on sales, as soon as the main purchase is done, which is when customer is most ready to entertain them.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile You just....................

Choosing the right frames for certain customers (Different face shapes)

Congratulations...........you just wrote the full textbook on optical selling. There is nothing to discuss, but, you never mentioned my best sales point to good looking women...................

Lady tries on frame and says "how does it look?"

Me: "madame you have a real good garbage face."

Hit like with an atom bomb...she looks at me speechless

Me: "Please don't take it that way..............what I mean I can put any garbage frame on your face and you still look gorgeous"

She has a big laugh.........I take out an expensive frame and say, "and this piece even even gives you the young look" frame sold.

If you have the guts to try it..............it actually works.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Congratulations...........you just wrote the full textbook on optical selling. There is nothing to discuss, but, you never mentioned my best sales point to good looking women...................

Lady tries on frame and says "how does it look?"

Me: "madame you have a real good garbage face."

Hit like with an atom bomb...she looks at me speechless

Me: "Please don't take it that way..............what I mean I can put any garbage frame on your face and you still look gorgeous"

She has a big laugh.........I take out an expensive frame and say, "and this piece even even gives you the young look" frame sold.

If you have the guts to try it..............it actually works.

You just want to see people hurt don't you

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Tip: Selling A Discontinued frame

Ok here's what i do and i've only been in this situation about four times and it has worked each and every time.

If a customer chooses a discontinued frame a lot of sales people hesitate to tell the customer there's no warranty for that frame because they're afraid they might loose the sale

Well guys it's simple just tell them that this particular frame is EXCLUSIVE.

Me: Each and every brand has a few exclusive frames and this frame in particular is going to be exclusive to you

Customer: Oh really do you mean this product is going to be exclusive to me and a few other people

Me: Yes indeed your not going to be wearing a frame every other person is wearing

Customer: Well thats great

Me: Well mam/sir the only problem is there's no warranty due to the fact the product is limited in supply because of the exclusitivity. Now what we can do is if in case anything does happen to your frame and it's not replaceable you can choose another frame from the same manufacture with the same tag price and your frame/lenses will be 50% off.

Customer: Oh really so i get a different frame and i only have to pay 50% and the lenses are going to be 50% as well

Me: Yes your right new frame and lenses 50% thats the advantage of getting a exclusive frame.

Customer is happy, you don't have to make up lies or deal with it when customer comes back with broken frame or what now :cheers:

Just remember you might not make that much profit if the customer comes back with the broken frame but in the long run your making your customer happy and this will result in future visits. Also how many times do you sell discos??? not to many so giving 50% once in a blue moon isn't going to hurt you.
    Last edited by Spexx; 03-27-2007 at 01:38 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile No way.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Spexx View Post
    You just want to see people hurt don't you
    Nobody is or should be hurt...............I have been told many times.that my comment actually turned out to flattering.

When I had my frame company in the 60s and 70s I had 9 reps on the road and was one of the first ones to hire women, just because they were good looking and had "garbage faces", every frame we had including the garbage ones looked good on them when they used to model them at their customers.

They actually outsold the male reps by far in the shortest time.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Customer is happy, you don't have to make up lies or deal with it when customer comes back with broken frame or what now
    Your last statement contradicts your selling "tip". You are lying to your client. A disco frame is not exclusive at least in the terms accepted in this industry. Just be up front, this frame has no warranty, but it looks great on you nonetheless. Otherwise you set yourself up for the client coming back whose friend wore the same "exclusive" frame back when it was actually in style.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ok here's what i do and i've only been in this situation about four times and it has worked each and every time.

If a customer chooses a discontinued frame a lot of sales people hesitate to tell the customer there's no warranty for that frame because they're afraid they might loose the sale

Me: Each and every brand has a few exclusive frames and this frame in particular is going to be exclusive to you

Customer: Oh really do you mean this product is going to be exclusive to me and a few other people

Me: Yes indeed your not going to be wearing a frame every other person is wearing

Customer: Well thats great

Me: Well mam/sir the only problem is there's no warranty due to the fact the product is limited in supply because of the exclusitivity. Now what we can do is if in case anything does happen to your frame and it's not replaceable you can choose another frame from the same manufacture with the same tag price and your frame/lenses will be 50% off.

Customer: Oh really so i get a different frame and i only have to pay 50% and the lenses are going to be 50% as well

Me: Yes your right new frame and lenses 50% thats the advantage of getting a exclusive frame.

Customer is happy, you don't have to make up lies or deal with it when customer comes back with broken frame or what now :cheers:

Just remember you might not make that much profit if the customer comes back with the broken frame but in the long run your making your customer happy and this will result in future visits. Also how many times do you sell discos??? not to many so giving 50% once in a blue moon isn't going to hurt you.
    You'd be better off telling them that the frame has sold out and you can't get any morre of them. Your not being honest when you tell them it's exclusive.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Well i know i'm not being honest but there are certain situations where you have to over shadow the truth.

Like i stated i've only been in this situation four times and it actually worked but that's why i've created this thread so i can get feedback a long with the rest of the opti boarders.

Now if you tell the customer it's sold out when he comes back, imagine how angry they'll be. The customer will ask you why did you lie to me when you told me i had warranty on this product??? You'll loose the customer at least thats what i think but if it has indeed worked for anyone i'm willing to try it.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is never any compromise in selling by being honest with clients. There is "spin" and there is being dishonest.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Well i know i'm not being honest but there are certain situations where you have to over shadow the truth.

Like i stated i've only been in this situation four times and it actually worked but that's why i've created this thread so i can get feedback a long with the rest of the opti boarders.

Now if you tell the customer it's sold out when he comes back, imagine how angry they'll be. The customer will ask you why did you lie to me when you told me i had warranty on this product??? You'll loose the customer at least thats what i think but if it has indeed worked for anyone i'm willing to try it.
    If you are up front with the client to begin with, disco no warranty, they really have no reason to be upset. Claiming an item is exclusive is as bad as selling fakes in my opinion. Being upfront and confident about your product is infinately times better than lying.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    There is never any compromise in selling by being honest with clients. There is "spin" and there is being dishonest.
    :cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    If you are up front with the client to begin with, disco no warranty, they really have no reason to be upset. Claiming an item is exclusive is as bad as selling fakes in my opinion. Being upfront and confident about your product is infinately times better than lying.
    Well some people do have issues the other day i had a client and she only liked one frame in the entire store it was a disco and she kept asking me how long is the warranty. If i said it's a disco and it has no warranty she would have walked right outside of the store.

It's a different story when the customer chooses a few frames they like so you could tell them that look this frame is disco and you won't get any warranty but the other frames that you like all have warranty.

Depends on the situation if you ask me.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    You'd be better off telling them that the frame has sold out and you can't get any morre of them. Your not being honest when you tell them it's exclusive.
    Sure but what is your solution when it comes to warranty????

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    If getting the sale is the only things then, suit yourself.
    We have a number of disco frames, we have a number of exclusive collections. We have a number of disco exclusive frame, and it the same for all discos, no warranty because we cannot get a replacement. If you really feel the need to spin it, try something like "most new frames have a year warranty, these do not, but statistically most frames outlast that 1 year warranty period with proper care and maintenence." The warranty becomes less of an issue, as they are now expected to take care of their eyewear.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I find it very helpful to ask people what they like and don't like about their present eyewear. It really can open the doors to finding out what they need and want.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sure but what is your solution when it comes to warranty????
    I put the frames that are sold out on a close out rack at a discounted price. I am very up front as to why the frames are discounted. No warranty.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Ok thanx for the tips guys, i'll take your advice into consideration.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I find it very helpful to ask people what they like and don't like about their present eyewear. It really can open the doors to finding out what they need and want.
    Yes i always ask about their current eye wear it gives you a lead into what they dislike or like. In simple terms it's easier for us to decide what they're looking for.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well some people do have issues the other day i had a client and she only liked one frame in the entire store it was a disco and she kept asking me how long is the warranty. If i said it's a disco and it has no warranty she would have walked right outside of the store.

It's a different story when the customer chooses a few frames they like so you could tell them that look this frame is disco and you won't get any warranty but the other frames that you like all have warranty.

Depends on the situation if you ask me.
    One way that you could have handle this situation: Miss frame shopper, I've just been informed that this frame has been sold out and is not replaceable. I can't offer you the warranty on this frame that I do our other frames. I will be happy to offer you a discount on the frame since you like it so much. Of course I'll service the frame as I would any other frame.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would add to Spexx's excellent adumbration of what makes a top seller only my thought that one must understand one's own psychology just as one does the customer's. If, for instance, you are "naturally" shy, you must understand this and modify your interactions so that you appear to be reasonably outgoing. If you're a master of advanced optics, you're naturally proud of this, and should be--but you must fight the urge to display this knowledge to customers who aren't interested in hearing the science. Or maybe you feel phantom guilt after selling something "too expensive" or talking a customer into a pair of readers with 1.74 and crizal alize. You must acknowledge these feelings, too, and address them.
    Before we can control potential customers we must control ourselves.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You know there is a much simpler way to sell and dispense eyewear...It starts with the aura of honesty, and follows with the practice of sincere greeting, then open discussion focused on the client's concerns (not the wealth of knowledge in your fast paced sales brain) a big helping of listening followed be a little teasing about the fancy cool lenses and frames then, a straight forward question of trust and buy, or you money back

Direct is always best in the close...no dancing...just give em the $ and remind them that they already told you they needed them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We package our discos with purchase of lenses. We tell them they are discontinued regular line frames, not specially purchased el-cheapos, and they have no waranty because they are discos. We also tell them that they are paying only $10 over the regular cost of lenses for this disco frame and there are no warranties. If someone wants to purchase just a frame, say for replacement, we sell them at dirt cheap(but more than $10), again with no warranty.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information