Thread: Roll and Polish

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Roll and Polish

Just wondering what the optiboarders use as "guidelines" for recommending a roll/polish (or just polish) in your own practices.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    most myo lenses, esp. rimless

do remember fore-warn possible refelection from polished edges, esp high myo

Then, let pt decide him/herself
    Paul @ Silicon Valley California

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I never recommend a roll and polish. To me, when the edges are rolled it looks terrible when looking at the glasses straight on. The roll is very ugly viewed through the lenses.

I recommend polishing when the lens shows. This means any rimless. In a metal frame I think anything over about a -2.00 depending on the material. My glasses are -2.25 and in poly they didn't show. I had a new rx put in the same frame in 1.6 and they show. It is a slightly weaker rx, too.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I haven't rolled a lens in years since the introduction of high index. It just makes the concentric circles more obvious. A polish is always offered and it is simply presented as a cosmetic addition and as a personal preference. The reflections can drive some people crazy and then out comes the emory board to remove it. I do more satin polishes than high gloss.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We do some rolls, but I prefer to keep the edges smoothly frosted. What I frequently do with a high myope is roll the edges, and dip the lens in the Sahara dye for a few second. Especially with AR, you get a nice edge tint. This color can be adjusted to the patient's skin tone. Actually looking out of the rolled lenses, you see none of the roll, if you do it at the proper angle. The tint helps mask the white concentric rings when you match the person's skin tone.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I won't do a roll - doesn't save much in terms of thickness, and as has been pointed out, it look wretched. A nice satin or high luster polish on the other hand looks great but I make sure the patient is getting AR as well simply because of any unwanted reflections due to the polished edge.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I have found most patients at least here will pay more for the high index instead of the old roll and polish. I hate doing those any way I personally think they look horrid.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't stand the roll and prefer not to do the polish, though that's just my opinion, some of the other opticians here disagree. but i will never put a polish on my personal pair, the reflection drives me batty.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm with Happylady. I'll only do a roll when the pt already has it and still wants it. I also offer a polish whenever the lens will show, but I prefer a satin rather than a high gloss. I rarely do a high gloss because to me it just seems too much--like a bleekin' beacon!
    I've worked with 2 labs that will "machine" polish all jobs at no extra charge and looks like a "satin".

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumN View Post
    I've worked with 2 labs that will "machine" polish all jobs at no extra charge and looks like a "satin".
    Agreed - my lab does the same thing. But my lab runs a few Satinelli's and I always know jobs that were run on those edgers - the polish looks better than most high luster jobs off a rag wheel.

Thread Information