Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guess what.....its Superfin

Bad address email on file Tonehill's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Good Question

Quote Originally Posted by Framebender View Post
    After re reading your posts I'm curious. . . .do you have any industry knowledge at all?

GOS Queen was nice enough to share the following thread with us. Please see number 4, 9, 12, 16 and 39. I would like to say number 11, but I actually knew something about optics!

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22239

Very little to none. which is the reason that I am here. Thanks for the link.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Is that how it is????

Good thing that does not bother me much. Because I never claimed to be the least bit versed in optical. But how else do you learn? I guess that everyone came into the industry knowing everything that they needed to know, but I did not get that memo. Thanks for the CC: link though.

Question: What gave my lack of industry experience away? Was it the content of my posts, my rambling that gave me no direction, or my initial post that clearly said that I am very new.

Either way I guess that I should be grateful that you told me 4,9,12,16, and 39 otherwise I might have gone off and spread my infectious nonsense. But oh no, nothing gets by you guys.

now, does anyone care to give some information that is not bias, but direct me where I a supposed to start. Then I would be forever grateful.:angry:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Will you be at Vision Expo??

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If I were you I would start by looking into pricing on all materials. Then you could find out if your product is really price competitive compared to what is available. It is really going to be hard for a medium sized lab to justify stocking something of this nature though(my personal opinion). Hope you have the best of luck pursuing this though.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Actually it was the. . . .

I have tough skin, I can take it comment. Those that profess this rarely do.;)

Honestly, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. If you have outside sales ability then you know that some people are going to buy from you just because they like you. I wouldn't try and sell it on its merits though. We had a lab rep try and present it to us and he did a good job, but we still didn't bite.

Also, I think you should drop the Europe/Asia is all that approach. They might be in your eyes, but I know very few people in this industry that are going to look favorably on you for using that approach.

Maybe use the organic approach. You know organic products always cost more even if they aren't always better.

Anyway, good luck to you!! Sorry if I was a little rough!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Nah

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Will you be at Vision Expo??
    Vision expo? No I do not think so.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Tonehill,

Your postings indicate a belief on your part that your product is of significant value to us as eyecare providers. Then you make inaccurate or misleading statements (such as your product is a "premium cr-39). How do you expect to sell a product that you do not understand?

Marketing materials work great when your target audience is an uneducated public, but when you're dealing with educated optical professionals you need a greater knowledge base. Try finding out some more details about the technical side of the product.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

i think i can.....Ithink I can.....I think I can

Quote Originally Posted by Framebender View Post
    I have tough skin, I can take it comment. Those that profess this rarely do.;)

Honestly, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. If you have outside sales ability then you know that some people are going to buy from you just because they like you. I wouldn't try and sell it on its merits though. We had a lab rep try and present it to us and he did a good job, but we still didn't bite.

Also, I think you should drop the Europe/Asia is all that approach. They might be in your eyes, but I know very few people in this industry that are going to look favorably on you for using that approach.

Maybe use the organic approach. You know organic products always cost more even if they aren't always better.

Anyway, good luck to you!! Sorry if I was a little rough!

No hard feelings. That actually was a shotgun intro into the industry. Honestly, thanks for russlin my feathers a bit. None of what I told you is "my approach" cause I really do not have one, yet. I am just looking for information on how I could better myself. At this point I am just regurgitating whatever information that I sponge up. A lot of it does not make any sense yet, but I a sure that it will come with time and exposure.
    So, no worries

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Point taken

Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    Tonehill,

Your postings indicate a belief on your part that your product is of significant value to us as eyecare providers. Then you make inaccurate or misleading statements (such as your product is a "premium cr-39). How do you expect to sell a product that you do not understand?

Marketing materials work great when your target audience is an uneducated public, but when you're dealing with educated optical professionals you need a greater knowledge base. Try finding out some more details about the technical side of the product.

Thanks. That helps me out quite a bit. The tech data supports that Superfin is a better lens than Cr-39. Maybe not a premium but a mid-index that works for about 80% of a dispensers daily jobs.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonehill View Post
    Vision expo? No I do not think so.
    Big Mistake !!!

You should have a booth set up and have free samples.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or....

You could give anybody who has taking the time to help you here a few free fits/lens. That would go a long ways in building brand recognition.

;)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Let's do it

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Or....

You could give anybody who has taking the time to help you here a few free fits/lens. That would go a long ways in building brand recognition.

;)
    I will send 1 pr of free samples to anyone requesting them through Friday. Let's not get ridiculous people but I would like to drum up more feedback and conversation. Let's see how it goes.

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Occupation

I'll bite . . . . .

a better lens how and how would it benefit 80% of my daily jobs?? With mid index on its way out I would want to know who you think is your target market is from a retail prespective. What Rx ranges do you cover. How many designs are available and what are they comparable to? What coatings come stock and which ones can be added? What cost benefit is it to me and how would you postion these lenses? Are they all stock or are some surfaced as well? If surfaced are they thicker than stock to meet impact standards?

Doc Ory is right, inquiring minds want to know. Do you personally know anyone that's making a living selling this product? Fezz said we're a little jaded and I think that's putting it mildly. If we had a nickle for everyone who makes claims about their products we wouldn't be bending frames for a living. That's not a put down, just a fact.

Occupation
    Deleted - double post

Occupation
    I will send 1 pr of free samples to anyone requesting them through Friday. Let's not get ridiculous people but I would like to drum up more feedback and conversation. Let's see how it goes.

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Send to

Jacqui Pearson
    C.D. Optical
    P.O. Box 196
    Camp Douglas, Wi

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PM sent.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I guess I don't get out much...

But after reading all these posts, nobody has said what these lenses are, what configuration (i.e. sv? bi? tri? progressive? ) they come in. Are they aspheric? If progressive, who's design? Are they photocromic? If so, what colors? Do you have to dry edge or wet edge? Are they stock or surfaced? What power ranges are they available?

The only thing I've half gathered is that they are mid-index and priced in the range of hi-index. Please elaborate.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    PM Sent

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Sorry about that

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    But after reading all these posts, nobody has said what these lenses are, what configuration (i.e. sv? bi? tri? progressive? ) they come in. Are they aspheric? If progressive, who's design? Are they photocromic? If so, what colors? Do you have to dry edge or wet edge? Are they stock or surfaced? What power ranges are they available?

The only thing I've half gathered is that they are mid-index and priced in the range of hi-index. Please elaborate.
    Superfin 1.523nd is available in FSV, SFSV, PAL, and photochromic. Also, coming soon AR coated. Ultrafin 1.6 is available in PAL, FSV and SFSV. The progressives are Indo Designs, that are Micra and Admira which are also available photochromic. Colors are brown and gray. We also have pre tinted lens available in gray and brown. They edge and are processed like CR-39. The stock ranges are approximately +/- 6.00 with up to a -2.00 in cyl

Occupation
    Now you're talking!! ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now I like this tread!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Big Smile Cr39..........................

I am an Indo Lens employee. The makers of the "magnificent" Superfin material. Which is, for those who do not know a premium cr-39 that is lighter, thinner and more impact resistant.
    When you are talking of CR 39 you are talking of ONE TYPE lens material, trade mark and chemical formula owned by PPG.

There is no other CR39 than CR39 and it can not be thinner, lighter heavier or thicker than CR39. :D

Occupation
    WOW this guy will be up in my neck of the woods soon. Feel free to stop in but I do have to tell you that you will need to catch up on your learnin' and not just marketing materials.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

superfin

ok guys , in all fairness to all, back about two years ago i wrote the article on this lens for vision care products and news, so you can go to there website VCPN and probably look it up.

my own opinion i thought it was a great lens, one of the features i liked about it was it is about the purest white lens i ever saw, should be good for tinting. i cant remember all the details at this point.

In fairness i would say to you guys question it and study it and you will probably find a place for it in some of your dispensing, like any other lens not for every purpose

Occupation
    I agree it is a good lens and we have used it. But if you plan on representing a technology you should have a fair understanding of it and competators lenses.

Thread Information