Thread: Aspheric vs Regular SV lenses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Aspheric vs Regular SV lenses

I'm ordering lenses for myself and I'm not sure what works with my Rx. I'm a REALLY high myope with high astigmatism. OD: -11.00-3.25x022 OS: -12.75-3.00x169. I'm ordering high index... just not sure how high to go or whether it would be beneficial to go with an aspheric lens. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You should ask to get them "free-formed", if the lab has the software and hardware to do it. If not, then go with Sola's Vizio 1.66 Atoric, if available. It will maximize vision and cosmetics.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    You should ask to get them "free-formed", if the lab has the software and hardware to do it. If not, then go with Sola's Vizio 1.66 Atoric, if available. It will maximize vision and cosmetics.
    I was thinking about the Vizio since it was one of the ones listed on my software with my lab (Homer Optical) that didn't have any Transitions or polarization with it. I don't wear my glasses much -- I'm one of those CTL wearers that pretty much only wears their glasses at night.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by drnunez831 View Post
    I was thinking about the Vizio since it was one of the ones listed on my software with my lab (Homer Optical) that didn't have any Transitions or polarization with it. I don't wear my glasses much -- I'm one of those CTL wearers that pretty much only wears their glasses at night.
    As an even higher myope, I don't recommend the 1.67 if you can avoid it. Aspherics are very nice and I like them more than sperical.
    The free-form back surface will help, but check Hoya's 1.70 index lens - better optics than the 1.67!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I want to get a 1.7 but it doesn't look like it's offered at this particular lab. The one that does offer it (Walman) won't give me free lenses. Grr.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I want to get a 1.7 but it doesn't look like it's offered at this particular lab. The one that does offer it (Walman) won't give me free lenses. Grr.

Time to open a Hoya account!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I must say that the demonstration of the 1.70 was the clincher on why I am opening an account with Hoya. I was shown a +4.oo lens in this material, and in regular cr39. The lens was nice, thin, and flat. Even better was the optics! Even compared to an aspheric cr-39, the 1.70 had less distortion and was water clear...

I was impressed...

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I just ordered a pair of Essilor 1.74 SV for a Pt: -13.75 -3.00 OU in a Oakley Fate 4.0. 4mm decentration and the edge thickness was....6.2mm. I was astonished. When he put them on he was astonished at the optics since he'd never worn glasses successfully (save for CR39).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you really want them to look nice you will go with a 1.7 and have your lab special order it. If you want the freebie than I guess you get what you get. And choose your frame carefully. But you should already know all this.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know Essilor isn't very popular on this site, but the 1.74 is great. The Crizal Alize with Clear Guard is a wonderful AR, too.

Of course, the frame choice will make a HUGE difference. We had a patient that had an RX like yours. We had made her glasses before with a 1.67 in a 44 eye roundish frame and they looked wonderful.

This time she didn't like any of our frames ( ) so she went to some "fancy shop" and bought a frame that was 49 eye and a rectangle shape. We did the lenses (we were on her insurance) in a 1.74 and they were much thicker and distorted her face much more since they were so wide.

Thread Information