Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to avoid being a "scummy" rep

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

How to avoid being a "scummy" rep

I've been looking at becomming a a frame rep. Could folks chime in on the reasons why reps are talked about so unfavorably?

Also, just plain advice on how to get into the biz and how to succeed would be appreciated.

Much thanks in advance

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The first thing I would need to ask you is:

Are you an optician or have you ever been ?

Second:

Why are you interested in becoming a rep?

Occupation
    No, I'm not an optician. I'm making a complete change of career.

I'm thinking of becomming a rep becuase I like getting out, meeting new people, I love frames and thought I could be successful selling something I'm interested in. Simplistic, but one has to start (over) somewhere.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Many of us, though not all, really prefer dealing with a rep who has some background in the industry, and is aware of frame design (not just the aesthetics, but the actual design of the frame and how it affects everything from fit to lens insertion, to material quality and integrity). Now, if you're willing to actually learn something about opticianry, and have some basis of knowledge with which to relate to us on instead of just fashion, I think many of us would be quite appreciative.

Occupation
    Thank you. That was well said and I will take your advice.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy K View Post
    Many of us, though not all, really prefer dealing with a rep who has some background in the industry, and is aware of frame design (not just the aesthetics, but the actual design of the frame and how it affects everything from fit to lens insertion, to material quality and integrity). Now, if you're willing to actually learn something about opticianry, and have some basis of knowledge with which to relate to us on instead of just fashion, I think many of us would be quite appreciative.
    That being said, most companies - at least hiring managers here in the United States - tend to hire from outside the industry. Of all my frame reps, one has industry experience. I wish that number were higher, but the reality is, most opticians aren't 'salesperson' material - skin's not thick enough. And from what I gleaned when I was considering becoming a frame rep, you need a very thick skin.

And do your research on the line you're considering carrying - ask around at offices/dispensaries in your perspective territory. We had a rep in this area just kill a rather popular higher-end line (NeoStyle) - no one will carry the line now because she simply killed it around here. I think they're working on their firth rep for that line in the last year and a half - I really feel for those reps because they just don't know what they are getting involved with.

The best advice I could give you - carry a quality line(s), don't scam your accounts, don't promise the world, but occasionally deliver the world. If an optician asks you to come by every 6 months rather than every 4, heed that advice or you risk losing that account. Opticians can be fickle creatures who deal with all sorts of personalities all day long - take that into account when you call on your accounts. And the occasional gift doesn't hurt - opticians are at the bottom of the optical salarychain and most of us work damn hard with little in return.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    DITTO!
    Just to add a few thoughts, under promise but over deliver. Say what you mean, mean what you say. The lines/script the frame company wants you say, will sound stupid to any real optician. So figure out the jist, and put your own spin on it. Also dont try to fake your knowledge of frames we cant stand that,(remember the viva frames with the magnet for the clip attached to the nose pads?) and you will look like a fool. Good luck.
    Last edited by ziggy; 03-08-2007 at 09:25 AM. Reason: kant spell
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    And the occasional gift doesn't hurt - opticians are at the bottom of the optical salarychain and most of us work damn hard with little in return.
    Always remember-- us opticians sell what we wear! For me, the best gift of all is a comp'ed frame that looks fabulous on me as I know I'll be hearing "I'll have what you're wearing".

And, try to get on with a company with integrity that matches your own.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And, try to get on with a company with integrity that matches your own.

You mean that there is still some inetgrity left in this business?

;)

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

huh!

"And, try to get on with a company with integrity that matches your own".
    Cindy K

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    You mean that there is still some inetgrity left in this business?;)
    Whether it be high or low levels of integrity :D they need to be a good fit for one another.

(Don't take offence, eyeque, I couldn't pass that one up from good ol' Fezz)

Occupation
    Ok, I may be showing my naiveté here, but Fezz, are you saying that the optical business as whole lacks integrity or just the sales component? Or am I just missing your sense of humor?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eyeque-

It was a poor attempt at humor!

I think you will find some of the most honest, hard working, and caring individuals in the optical business. Our collective talents and ideals are really pretty amazing. Some of us have become a bit "jaded" in the sense that we have been around long enough to see how companies are changing. Quality may or may not be what it use to be, higher prices, poor service, etc. But, it really is no different than any other industry. Its just a sign of our times!

Side note: I have become less tolerant of frame / lens companies and the sales reps. I have changed my business philosophy to where I see very few reps. It has worked wonders for our bottom line and my patience and blood pressure levels!

Best of luck to you.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Us as well. We only see a handful of reps now, and for the most part, they all have been in the optical business at some point. Several are licensed opticians in the state.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Be straight forward, honest and direct. It's OK to come the first time without an appointment for introductions and such. After that, I prefer that reps come by appointment only. Don't walk in on the first visit carrying a bunch of frames. Come in and say hello, wait patients to finish their business, then tell me what you have. Chances are that the staff has some familiarity with the line you carry. If not, it will be harder to get in the door. NEVER come rolling in to an optical shop with no appointment dragging four cases slap full of frames.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with kstraker... We absolutely won't see a rep without an appointment. There just isn't time for one thing. And it is nice when they come in to meet you for the first time without the bags, or even a few frames.

Occupation

Post Any manufacturesrs and reps comments?

Thank you to all the opticians who commented and offered advice and humor! :D You all seem like a great group and I am looking forward to working with you.

Here’s what I've learned from you so far.

Introduce myself first; otherwise have an appointment, you're busy!
    Know something about opticianry:idea:
    Comp a frame now and then
    Under promise and over deliver

Have a thick skin and a sense of humor

Are there any reps or manufacturers who could comment? I would appreciate hearing from both sides.

Here are some unanswered questions I have;

Opticians,

Do you prefer to deal with reps from small independents or the bigger companies?
    I've read on other threads about how reps have ****** you off so bad that you won't deal with them anymore. What are some examples of this?
    Reps
    Do you prefer working for the independents or the larger companies?
    I've heard that the turn-over in reps is high. Is this true? If so why?
    Manufacturers:
    What skills/talents/experience/knowledge would you say most determines a reps success?

Well these are things I'm wondering about tiday, if anyone has a spare moment to address any of these I'd be grateful.
    .:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeque View Post

Opticians,
    Do you prefer to deal with reps from small independents or the bigger companies?
    I've read on other threads about how reps have ****** you off so bad that you won't deal with them anymore. What are some examples of this?
    Reps
    Manufacturers:
    What skills/talents/experience/knowledge would you say most determines a reps success?

Well these are things I'm wondering about tiday, if anyone has a spare moment to address any of these I'd be grateful.

1. Deal with independants or large co?

I deal with both. One is so small the owner is the rep and his wife works the phone orders. But if given only one of the choices, a larger established supplier. I wanna know they will be around down the road for parts and sevice. ( I've seen MANY small co's. bite the dust.)

2. Reps that screwed me?

The rep is banished for life for me. And if the co. doesn't do something to makeup for this, they gone forever too. Example: I had a rep that told me if we bought 120 frames, we would get a rotate display for free. I told him I in no way need that many of his frames. He said he had seen the Co. give it with orders as small as half that. I didn't need 60 frames. He said what about 40? I finally agreed. He got on the phone, right in front of me and "called" the "Nat'l Sales Mgr." to get it ok'ed. Yep, we got 40 frames. Weeks later still no display. I call the "NSM" myself and ask where my display was. I explained the entire event that I had with "his" rep. The answer, no way was that call made or could have been approved. Break even to them was 120 frames, no less. We had payed our bill and could only get credit on the product I returned, no refund. I marked down their product, moved it out of my shop and have still not bought a single frame from this Co. in over 18 years. (yes, I can hold a grudge! ) And this was one of the big Co's. I won't name them but they start with S and end with an O.

My opinion why there is high turnover in reps is that there are a small number of frame Co's out there that have the lions share of the business. And these big Co's rutinely shrink your territory, split the frame lines you started for them and bring in another rep to carry them. Also they may take large accounts away from you and deal direct with them, bypassing you.

You are brave indeed to want to frame rep. The best of luck to you!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A couple of good example of reps ******* off their clients:

Several years back, there was a strike of the unionized workers of a certain grocery chain which is one of the anchors in the mall. One rep who came on a call one day was somehow offended by something one of the picket line members said or did and let loose with a loud barrage of insults and offensive language and from what I understand it became quite a scene. Under these circumstances, he was asked to never darken the doorstep again and for about three years no new product was brought in of the lines this rep carried.
    (Moral of this story: do not engage in fighting whether it be verbal or physical in the vicinity of your accounts)

Another rep begged and pleaded to show her product and after a couple years the owner relented. She was late if I recall, by quite a long while, and claimed she got lost and couldn't find our store (um, hey lady what are cel phones for?) An order was placed, and we waited for it to arrive. And we waited. And waited about a month, and still no product. Meantime, we're turning away other reps because we're waiting for this big order from ***** ********.We called the supplier, and, well, this particular rep had quit and apparently never placed our order. Can you say choked? After all that begging and whining she did. And got an order from us worth waiting for.Then, guess what! Flash forward a couple years. In walks the new **** rep. The one who didn't bother to place our order when she was with the other company and had bailed without notice. No. We turned her away even though her new lines show promise.
    (Moral of this story: Your past comes back to haunt you)

Now, this one happened to a friend of mine. She was having a really hard time paying her bills and life was just not good at that point. I guess one of the companies she was in arrears with didn't pay their sales reps until they were paid by the account. So the rep took matters into his own hands and sent a cc'd email to all the accounts who owed him money. Not a blind cc'd letter, but the names of the owners and the stores they owned visible for all to see. She packed up all the product from that company and sent it flying back.
    (Moral of this story: discretion is a must)

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    That being said, most companies - at least hiring managers here in the United States - tend to hire from outside the industry. Of all my frame reps, one has industry experience. I wish that number were higher, but the reality is, most opticians aren't 'salesperson' material - skin's not thick enough. And from what I gleaned when I was considering becoming a frame rep, you need a very thick skin.

Audiyoda,
    I don't see that being the case. While I was working in San Diego for many, many years up until Feb 2006, 90% of the sales reps that I worked with were from the Optical industry/Opticians. Maybe its just a California thing, who knows. Guess I was quite lucky;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Opticians,
    Reps
    Manufacturers:

[/quote]

I deal with large corp. reps and multi-line small independents. That makes no difference if the product offered fits in and the quality and price point are good.

I have not had any reps **** me off. Most of them I have been dealing with for many years. They are loyal as am I. I buy, they deliver. All of them have on occasion gone out of their way to help me out. Very often if they switch frame lines I switch too. It's easier to incorporate a new line of frames into my inventory than to lose a good rep.

I never take a comped frame. If I want something I buy it at the discounted price but I do not want any freebies that I feel obligated to wear. Believe me they all want me to wear their product.

You can avoid being a "scummy" rep by not being a "scummy" person. Treat your accounts the way you would expect to be treated. I don't need the "under promise and over deliver", I need honesty. If I leave a message for you to call me I expect a return call that day. If I need a frame I expect you to do all that you can to find it for me but I don't expect miracles. If a line isn't moving, I expect it to be replaced by something that will. I expect you to do exchanges but I won't take advantage of the fact that you will. Treat me fair and I will treat you fair.

Believe in your product. I will be able to tell if you don't. Be honest, if a frame is a dog, say so. Be fashion conscious. Wear what you sell and dress appropriately. Have a sense of humor please. Show up on time and bring chocolate.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    Audiyoda,
    I don't see that being the case. While I was working in San Diego for many, many years up until Feb 2006, 90% of the sales reps that I worked with were from the Optical industry/Opticians. Maybe its just a California thing, who knows. Guess I was quite lucky;)
    I wish I were that lucky. Thinking about it, I have four reps from two of the big three (Safilo and Marchon) - one rep has a background in advertising/marketing, one has his teaching certificate, one was a interior designer, the other has always been in sales.

I have two reps from two of the more mid-sized compaines (Signature and Clearvision) - both are pure salespeople.

I have three reps from independent lines - one does have optical lab experience, but has been in sales most of his career, the other two are pure salespeople.

Come to think of it - my ELOA rep doesn't have an optical background (and she is a knucklehead and generally not wanted in the office). My Varilux brand rep is ABO certified as was an optician for many years - I have a great deal of respect for him and value the time I can spend with him when he has a chance to get in to our office.

Don't get me wrong - these are all great reps I work with - every one of them goes above and beyond. None of them comp me anything with the idea that I must wear their product - I don't ask for anything from any of them. If I try something on and they think it looks good, they will generally offer - knowing full well I might wear it once a week at best. I still have a few frames I've not put lenses in simply because I'm tired of my own lab bill.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post

Show up on time and bring chocolate.
    Why bring chocolate?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by caonimaxuebi View Post
    Why bring chocolate?
    Well, um, 'cause the way to a woman's heart is through her stomach... Though I know a certain male optician who can be bought on the cheap by a dozen donuts! I won't name names but you oughtta see his eyes light up on sight of a box of Timmies. "Gimme those donuts, and I'll take ten of whatever it is you've got."

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aw c'mon, you can tell us. Who could you be talking about?:finger:

Thread Information