Thread: abo ac: am I guaranteed a spot?

Bad address email on file Alteaon's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

abo ac: am I guaranteed a spot?

I am filling out my forms for the abo ac, I want to take it in Chicago during midwest vision congress.

With the national administrations, you are there to take the test. With the congress, am I guaranteed the chance to take my test no matter how many other people are sitting for it? Would they cancel it due to lack of interest? If so, would my fee be refunded?

I left a voice mail w/ the exam manager at the abo offices, but she won't be back until next week. I'm curious to see if anyone has any insight on this. Obviously I want to get my stuff in on time, but I also want to make sure I can take it.

Thhank you

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Even if two people are taking the test they will still hold the exam. Don't worry so much. I'll be there and atleast three other optiboarders will be there for the advanced test.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I had a different experience

I was told for the last vision expo west that if there wasn't enough people to sit for the ABOC AC exam, it wouldn't be given. Since I was going to fly in from Canada to take the test and then leave that evening (since I needed to be home ASAP for something) I decided against it and didn't want to risk it. They said they honestly didn't know for sure till the last minute if it was going to be given or not.

Be sure to get a FIRM definite answer from them cause that is what they told me when I spoke to them 2x's.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    I was told for the last vision expo west that if there wasn't enough people to sit for the ABOC AC exam, it wouldn't be given. Since I was going to fly in from Canada to take the test and then leave that evening (since I needed to be home ASAP for something) I decided against it and didn't want to risk it. They said they honestly didn't know for sure till the last minute if it was going to be given or not.

Be sure to get a FIRM definite answer from them cause that is what they told me when I spoke to them 2x's.

That stinks! But atleast there is another date for Chicago a week or so later.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It did stink and it allowed me to put it off which is something I can't stand to do.

Good luck to everyone taking it!!:cheers: I am pretty darn sure all of you will pass.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I was the only one takeing it and they still gave the test, as long as it's noationa administartion, they will lump you in with the ABO test takers, and they will get mad at you when you gat a calculator and they don't.:D
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Here is an idea. Maybe we should take it during the national exams on the 20th? No matter what we do we find out who's taking the test in Chicago, head out nice and early all meet for breakfast and a last minute cram session! I know of a few who are going.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also noticed that there is no site code on my forms for the abo ac. And the only person who can answer that question for me is out until the 13th. Taking it during national administration seems like a better idea...hopefully it will be at a place that is easy to get to.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Alteaon View Post
    I also noticed that there is no site code on my forms for the abo ac. And the only person who can answer that question for me is out until the 13th. Taking it during national administration seems like a better idea...hopefully it will be at a place that is easy to get to.
    Well the parking should be easier anyway. You pay out the nose for it in Chicago.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I decided I'm going to take it during national admin. I'd love to be able to go to the congress as well, but it's not practical for me to do both, and the test is my main priority. I figure I can get a hotel and take a cab to where I have to go. I'd rather spend some more $$ and be able to take the test then take the chance of no test. I took the abo advanced originally during national admin, and there were only 4 advanced ppl, we got put inw/ the abo people, like Harrr Ch. said...

One of my friends had hte issue of not being able to take the test at one of the expos, and I just don't want to take that chance.

Thanks for everyone's helpl.

Occupation
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I assumed that if there were not enough people they would automatically bump them to the national exams. But I'll take the extra week to study! Who else is going?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Wave This is why I signed up with OptiBoard

Hey optical folks,
    I tried to get some information on the ABO advanced, such as sample questions to know if I could possibly pass this test, and have gotten nothing. I even called in and requested to sign up for the test, which has to be postmarked by May 20 and there is nothing on the test registration that says anything about ABO advanced exam. I am probably not ready for this exam, but would like to know what to do to get ready and how hard the test is. I would appreciate any relevant input!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Study, study, study, study

Traciangela-

Welcome aboard. There are plenty of good folk here who are some of the brightest, nicest, and helpful folks that I have ever encountered. Feel free to ask and GIVE answers and opinions. Participation makes this sight what it is=FANTASTIC.

Anyway. The test from my understanding is very hard. Others will chime in and back me up on that. I have not taken it, but am studying for it. I would suggest that you get a copy of Ellen Stoner's Optical Formula Tutorial. You need to know formulas in and out, front and back. You will also need to know business, anatomy and even some diseases. You may want to get a copy of the Advanced Review book from the National Academy of Opticianry www.nao.org 1-800-229-4828. There are a few of us preparing for the test and a little use of the search button may help. Good luck and ask for any help.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thread Information