Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you think that the average cost of a cut, color & blow...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Did you think that the average cost of a cut, color & blow...

is more than most CL praticioner's initial fitting fee?

We had an in-office epiphany this past Saturday on this very point...you know, where someone makes an observation, and we all stand there silent for a moment, while the "ah-ha" of it all sinks in.

I think we're really bad about pointing priorites out to clients. And I further think that's because we're afraid to charge people one dime more....

'cause deep down inside, we all feel that people really do not want contacts... or eyewear for that matter

Why???????

We NEED to start to address this type of thinking... and right now!

My two cents, what's yours?

Barry
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 03-06-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    My 2 cents? If Chip had his way, a cut, color and blow dry would be free, and could only be performed by CL fitting opticians.

Sorry folks, I couldn't resist. (you'd have to have read ...is it ethical I and II to understand).

Seriously, though...optometrists, opticians, and OMDs alike don't put enough value on our CL services. We get so caught up in not offending the patient to make sure we make the sale, and they want to come back...and so many damn fitters don't actually do the work and don't charge for it that it makes it seem strange to the patient when some of us do.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Seriously, though...optometrists, opticians, and OMDs alike don't put enough value on our CL services. We get so caught up in not offending the patient to make sure we make the sale, and they want to come back...and so many damn fitters don't actually do the work and don't charge for it that it makes it seem strange to the patient when some of us do.
    AMEN!

Barry

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You know, those of us on the lens side of the business see the same irony in the fact that patients routinely spend more on frames than the part that actually corrects your vision.
    RT

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    You know, those of us on the lens side of the business see the same irony in the fact that patients routinely spend more on frames than the part that actually corrects your vision.
    That's because, in today's *branded* culture, you lens manufacturers (no offense here) think your own *name* is a desirable brand....

...it's not!

Think *designer* lenses...

Example: look at the immediate success of Nike (B&L) performance contacts

Barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cut, color and blow dry in the hands of a competent and trusted stylist including tip = 110.00 in my area. It's my only indulgence every five weeks.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod
    My 2 cents? If Chip had his way, a cut, color and blow dry would be free, and could only be performed by CL fitting opticians.
    Child like behaviour, maybe your fitting fee isn't worth it?
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Child like behaviour, maybe your fitting fee isn't worth it?
    Sticks and stones may break my bones...
    Have you read some of his posts lately?...and the last part of my statement, you edited out, which clearly showed that I was making a joke. Something Chip doesn't do. Lighten up, will ya.

Occupation
    I read the ethics one and you basically blew it out of proportion.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Cut, color and blow dry in the hands of a competent and trusted stylist including tip = 110.00 in my area. It's my only indulgence every five weeks.
    Wisconsin will send me a cease and desist letter along with the threat of a fine if I cut my clients hair. However, my barber can fill my eyeglass Rx without restrictions.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I read the ethics one and you basically blew it out of proportion.
    Your opinion, perhaps, but I am tired of every thread having a slap in it for doctors. How would you like it if I posted in every thread that opticians were unlicensed, uneducated, dishonest, unethical, upsell,yada, yada?

We are supposed to talking about optics, patient care, proper care, and yes we can even talk about political issues, but this rediculous constant doctor bashing just makes all opticians look dumb.

Is anyone else tired of this? (and I'm not just talking to the low life that puts in negative reputation with gobbley gook and smiley faces with the tongue stuck out.)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    You can't tack on something extra for everything you see especially if the condition is something that should be checked for and found on every exam. Although this does seem to be a new trend with today's doctors.
    So are you upset, becasue this is not a trend with todays doctors? Or was the reference to todays doctors the thing tht got you upset?

Quote Originally Posted by fjpod
    How would you like it if I posted in every thread that opticians were unlicensed, uneducated, dishonest, unethical, upsell,yada, yada?
    you just did.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Wisconsin will send me a cease and desist letter along with the threat of a fine if I cut my clients hair. However, my barber can fill my eyeglass Rx without restrictions.

Don't we live in a wonderful state??

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why does every thread have to turn into a Doctor vs Optician arguement?

There are good and bad and clueless in every profession, regardless of level of education attainment, licensing, etc..

Can we discuss the subject at hand, and have the bickering kept to one or two threads for that only, and let the rest of us read posts that actually are in reference to the thread starter's intention.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program
    -------------------------------------------------------------

I think that is a wonderful observation. It does point out where priorities fall.

I might have to share that with my associates =)

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cut, Color, Blowdry/Style... I pay $150.00 Every 4 to 6 weeks....

Oh, should I mention how much I pay for my shoes these days too! lol

You bring up a great point Barry.:)

Occupation
    For $30.00 I drive down to DC and see this little asian lady who cuts my hair and I mean their won't be 1 hair longer than the others, hot towels my face, massages my head, and shaves with a staright razor. Best cut you will ever get and she always has a line. I tip her a $20.00 so for $50.00 I get the best cut, but I will only do this about 2 times a year, because it's a long drive and the neighborhood is not the greatest. Otherwise I go to the local shop and get a $15.00 cut.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    But, your barber isn't likely to be selling eyeglasses on the side. Licensed state or not, if you want to you can make a good living as an optician. Isn't that what this is about?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I read this book, once.

He said "We really sell only two things...good feelings, and solutions to problems".

(I have adapted it, for reductionist purposes: "good feelings, and elimination of bad feelings")

Now, how much would you pay to:
    Look beautiful?
    Remove that ugly feature?
    Feel important?
    Feel successful?
    Laugh?

The point is this: in this day and age, routine medical care (dental cleanings, routine physicals, eye exams, etc.) is pretty low on the "joy" scale. It's a necessary evil, and people treat it as such.

Ophthalmic lenses? Puh-lease.
    Frames: Well, they can and should be fun.
    Contact lenses? Where can I find them the cheapest?

Now, if you're talking about a pampering afternoon gossiping with a skinny blonde dressed in all black, reading Vogue with a latte, and coming out "marvelously beautiful", then $100 is cheap.

Have you seen what quality cosmetics go for?

A challenge to enterprising opticians: CHANGE the perception of eyewear to match that of cosmetic surgery, cosmetics, hair and nail care, fashion, etc. and you will be rich and famous.

Make it "feel good".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    A challenge to enterprising opticians: CHANGE the perception of eyewear to match that of cosmetic surgery, cosmetics, hair and nail care, fashion, etc. and you will be rich and famous.

Make it "feel good".
    I *luv* you, drk... this is *exactly* what I've been saying to all of us for a while...

Leave the *medical* in the eye exam, and take out the *medical* from eyewear!

barry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    (since editing feature not working)

We are in the "solutions to problems" business. Can that be changed?

Another thought: EMOTIONALIZE the sale

For example: "Oh how much more lovely will your life be, without the need to peer behind those thick glasses...You will be so much more able to connect to those whom you love".

Or: "These frames from Luxemborg will cause every red-blooded man stop dead in his tracks and look you up one side and down another...please be careful".

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Barry...I love you TOO, man. But you're not getting my Bud Light.:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As we are unlicensed or unregulated in PA, we see it all. In a small coal mining town 30 miles North of where we practice, there is a funeral director who sells glasses for a few dollars over cost. He doesn't take insurances. I wonder what his training is but many tell of their great bargain and they got them in glass and that is all that matters. It occured to me that there is another issue we don't think to much about but wholesalers can sell to anybody, it doesn't have to be one of the three O's.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!:bbg:

Bev, I had a horrible thought for a moment...are they dead people's glasses? Especially since they are glass....my mind is fried, I need a vacation
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I ain't metioning the O's in this but.

Our shopping center over the last 18 years has had 3 hairdresser shops. Cut Color and blow went for $100~$200. I also noticed that this Christmas the ladies were virtualy streaming into the Hairdresser's shop with gifts and toys for thier hairdressers.
    You wouldn't believe the number of women that have called me over the years and told me that they had pain in the eye (presumably from CL) and they just had to be seen right now. When told that we couldn't see them for an hour or two, they replied: "I can't come then, I have an appointment with the hairdresser." I guess it's all a question of prespective and appearently women think thier hair is more important than thier eye.

Now I won't mention how much the topless shoeshine girl I used to know in Houston charged.

Chip

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Now I won't mention how much the topless shoeshine girl I used to know in Houston charged.
    Maybe we should dispense topless, somehow I don't think thts goingto get me more customers, but I'll try anything once. :bbg:

Thread Information