Thread: Taking the practical exam

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Taking the practical exam

Hi everyone.........I have relocated to Virginia recently and need to get my Opticians license. I have a Massachusettes license, but at the time there was no practical exam. Both commonwealths use the ABO for the written and thank God for reciprocity.

So, any input on the exam? The practical will be given on the 22nd of June in Richmond. Only 11 days to go!

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

I am with you on this one Jackie. I have to take the TN practical June 28. On ours we have from what I understand...lensometer piece of cake, lens clock (well I'll give it my best shot) being able to recognize bifocal styles and lens materials. I am sure they are not all the same but I thought I'd share what I knew of it. You have been in the business long enough it should be a piece of cake for you Jackie. Good luck!!

Steph

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No Sweat!!

Jackie-I don't know a lot about Virginia's practical but if it's like the one we adopted in MA you shouldn't find any problems.We adopted Roy Ferguson's test which is the same as the TN practical.It was given in MA for the first time last Saturday but I have no feedback yet. I actually took Roy's test and did fine for a rusty old optician.So Steph, this is for you as well.The practical is a fair test of the knowledge you would have to have practicing by yourself.It is a fair test....that is to say there are no curve balls thrown in.Roy's test has been validated by second year opticianry students so any ambiguities have been eliminated.No one who has been in practice need fear this test.Best advice is to relax and answer the questions.One last thing...be sure to bring a progressive identifier with you.
    Best wishes from the Cape
    harry j
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Harry:

Thanks for the kind words, but, I think I should correct one minor point before we all get flamed. The test I created and administer for the Massachusetts Division of Professional Licensure is based on the one I wrote for North Carolina. The one in Tennessee is an entirely different animal. Just for everyones information I'll include the test parameters. By the way, all this is public knowledge.

The Eyeglasses Practical examination may include but will not be limited to the following topics:

finding single-vision and multi-focal lens powers using a Crossed-Line-Target lensmeter;
    reading lenses in both plus and minus cylinder form;
    determining add power;
    measuring lens center thickness with lens calipers;
    checking for horizontal and vertical prism;
    calculating prismatic effect and bicentric grinding corrections;
    measuring base curves and seg width;
    measuring distance between centers (measuring "distance PD" and "near PD");
    quote and apply ANSI Z80-1995 standards;
    identify and calculate inset, seg inset, and total inset;
    measure seg height and determine seg drop;
    knowledge of proper frame alignment and conventional frame adjustment tools;
    identify lenses by both product name and manufacturer;
    progressive addition lenses areas include: monocular decentration, distance reference point, prism reference point, fitting cross, prism thinning, near reference point, manufacturer's hidden identifying logo, hidden reference points, hidden add power engraving, recommended height.

I hope this provides some information regarding the practical.

Roy

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Where have you been???

Nice to see your post.We'll finally be meeting in person Sat AM at the Disneyland Hotel.I'm looking forward to it! With reference to TN: did they stop using your test or did you design a special one for your home state? I could have used your help on a few forum threads this past Winter.Have you been quietly watching from the sidelines? :D
    Best from Harry
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

Hi Roy! Any other tips? I am not really nervous about anything but the lens clock. I am supposed to get together with one of the girls from Roane State for some lessons. As always it is always good to hear from you!

Steph

Bad address email on file Ney Rojas-Mejia's Avatar
    lens clock can be used for many operations, however, I would concern myself with its use for BCs. Just about everything else on the lens can be identified by other instruments.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Harry:

Tennessee has never used my practical. As far as I know, all you have to do is front and back curves with a lens clock, use a thickness gauge, and determine a couple of lens powers with a lensmeter. There is also a portion on state law. It's extremely easy.

I rarely post messages on-line. There are really two reasons. First I lack the time and second discussions have the tendency to become personal and pointed. Other than that I enjoy reading whats going on in the industry.

Roy

OptiBoard Professional

Big Smile

Stephanie: Don't get too nervous. When I was a board examiner
    in New York In the Late 80's we would run into lots of people who were nervous. We tried to put them at ease as much as possible. My advise would be, be yourself. Tell them your nervous.
    If you have been training for awhile you should not have a problem. The biggest problems we faced were: we would ask people what pantoscopic angle was and adjust glasses accordingly. Samething for retroscopic angle. For some reason most people found these the two most difficult. Then we would
    proceed to have then adjust a pair of glasses that were all bent
    out of shape, pad arms, temples and frame front. We wanted to see how proficient they were and if they could solve the problems
    of the bent eyewear. This was only one part of the practical exam.
    .:bbg:

Bad address email on file Ney Rojas-Mejia's Avatar
    Stephanie, follow the advice given to you by rfish777. I just took the NY exam and the nerveous factor was very prevalent at the site. However, the examiners did their best to make us be at ease. Good Luck!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

Thansks guys! Yup I am an extremely nervous person anyway this just adds to the stress:hammer: Anyway I wish you were giving me the test rfish!! Then I'd know I would pass!!!

Thanks again!
    Steph"I know what panto is and I can and will use it!!"D

OptiBoard Professional

Big Smile

Thanks Stephanie your to kind. Good luck in taking your practical.:D :bbg: :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Thanks again rfish. I will let everyone know how I do. I just have this thing about people looking over my shoulder. I am used to working alone. I did lab work for 3 years and now I am an ophthalmic tech who basically does my job alone...so to have someone watching what I am doing is very upsetting to me. I am sure I will be ok though I did work for a big chain and had a big lab window so all the people could stand there and watch me make their gls(that was loads of fun...note the sarcasm.)

Thanks again!!
    Steph

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    anyone know of a course specifically geared to the nys practical exam? i took it in oct. and failed. i think i don not know what they are looking for

Thread Information