Thread: Trunk Shows

Bad address email on file OptiChick21's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Trunk Shows

Just curious if any of you have ever put on a trunk show at your office? We are planning one to promote our new (to us) Coach opthalmic and Sun line. We are sending out letters and postcards and offering some discounts, prizes, etc...

Anyone have any fun, good ideas for doing a trunk show?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have done two, years ago and will do no more. Not worth the effort and the reps hate them anyway. They'll do them but they don't like to, there's no money in it for them. It's a favor to you. To me a trunk show is like giving a big party for no particular reason except to perhaps show off your house. You invite people you really don't know well and get no rsvps. You fuss all day and two people show up. They eat all of your food, look around, say thank you and leave. If you can plan your trunk show during your busiest exam day at your busiest time of year you may do ok. If you ask me most people have better things to do.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It is really hit or miss with a trunk show, but the best ones are when you involve neighboring businesses to also put on some sort of event. This increases the likely hood of traffic. Also use your co-op dollars, and make the show interactive, let people take steel wool to some crizal lenses (demos or rejects from your labs), let people hammer away at trivex lenses. Also offer some sort of special that you extend for those that attended the show. You couls invite all your customers, but if your office does trunk shows you should also be compileing data throughout the year on your patients, try to target the ones that like high fashion and are always interested in whats new or latest fasion and for your guys try to target the tech savy with new materials and new frame innovations like the no screw eyewires, and titanium (starting to get blaise). Just some ideas that have went over OK in the past.
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 03-02-2007 at 04:19 PM.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are focusing on a single brand, I would see if you can partner with other specialty retailers that carry that brand. There is a Coach store in The Fashion Mall, and I am sure there are other shops in your area that also cater to this brand.

Also get one of the labs involved. I am sure Interstate (if I remember this is your favorite lab) can have someone there to have demos and interactive displays to show the benefits of AR, Polarized, Hi-index materials, etc..

Combine it with some giveaways and free food.. you should have a good time! I agree though that you probably want to have a targeted audience for this event.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

well at least I feel we're on the right track...

That's too funny, you guys have some of the same ideas we all did!

1) We're already getting some coach stuff from the outlet to give away as prizes. Our coach rep suggested putting prizes (like free lens vouchers) in balloons and handing them out...

2) I've already contacted Interstate for free lens give-aways, and possibly having our rep come help out.

3) We're already searching our patient database for previous coach frame buyers (we've had the opthalmic line for a couple months now, just got the suns in this month) and also other patients who've purchased high end in the past.

4) We've already planned to give discounts off regular cost, as well as have food and drinks, etc to make it more fun.

Oh well, may be slow going but we'll see!

Thanks guys... :D

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    If you can plan your trunk show during your busiest exam day at your busiest time of year you may do ok. If you ask me most people have better things to do.
    We do around 10 per year, among the different offices.

We plan them when we are the slowest (why sell to people that will buy whether you have a show or not?) We do it as a way to generate interest in the office during non-peak hours.

We don't use reps. I have many sample bags that we fill with our frames, and have opticians from other offices act as reps to show our product. Sometimes we'll do it after one of the expos just to show some of our latest private labels.

A trunk show can turn a great month into an awesome month. (If you do it right)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    We do around 10 per year, among the different offices. We don't use reps. I have many sample bags that we fill with our frames, and have opticians from other offices act as reps to show our product. Sometimes we'll do it after one of the expos just to show some of our latest private labels.
    Not a bad idea doing it yourself. We only have one office but dressing our perky little receptionist up and letting her do her thing might just be the ticket to highlight our spring and summer line up. Food for thought.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Since you are bringing in the suns, you may want to send an invitation to your contact lens patients that also fit the Coach Demographic.

Boost those Plano sun sales!
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A fun way to boost those sales...

Optichick21,

FYI...This needs planning well in advance but boy its fun and creates an awesome $$ day!!

You will need a set time and date for this!

Some might think this is over the top but an actual "fashion show" small runway at your place to draw the attention of the outside crowd and also for VIP viewing for your customers. Do the show runway outside your office or inside, depending on space and what you are allowed to do. You can also do it ½ and ½. Half the runway in your office for the VIP customers and the other half going outside your office door for all the people walking around outside to see.

You can try to combine the show with one of the clothing retail outlets near you, especially whatever designer you are bringing in but honestly, most of them are a pain in the butt to work with.

Easiest way....
    Get your customers involved!!!

Select a few of your customers from “all” age groups. Get some of the older ones involved too!!! Ask customers if they are willing to model for you that look good in just about everything they try on. You know who they are…. Or, get the ones who made a purchase from that particular frame line already. You will be amazed how excited people get if you ask them if they can “model” for you. It’s a great compliment and they usually feel honored.

Have them walk the "catwalk"/runway wearing shirts that are provided by the Rep that show the logo of the company that you’re presenting.

Have each of your modeling customers keep the bottom of their clothing all the same color but they can wear different stuff like skirts, pants, etc

The color of the clothing should depend on the season you do your show. Usually all white (top and bottoms) or all black (tops and bottoms) to keep it simple. Plus, by making it all one color it keeps the focus on the eyewear they are modeling… You can pull a P~ Diddy and just make it all white, lol…

Have music on and then as the model is on the catwalk (tone down the music a bit), have someone “MC” telling the viewers what they are viewing.

What model frame the model is wearing
    What color
    Blah, blah, blah… just like they do it at the Expos!!

As a note: If you have a good relationship with either “your” hairstylist or a hair salon that is near you, ask them if they are willing to help you with the models hair and make-up. By doing so, this will help promote more business for them and all it cost them was just a little bit of time. The hairstylist can also offer free consultations to your customers as well while they are there in your office.

Have the MC also announce who their hair and makeup was done by too.

People who are interested in what they are seeing will write it down and then ask for it and want to try it on! They will also ask for the hair stylist information too.

Who to invite
    It’s really up to you since you are the one who knows your customers so well.

You can send VIP invites to your patients for viewing and ask them to RSVP with you so you have an actual count if you are providing small finger foods and drinks. If that is the case, do a database search on your computer and be selective on whom you invite. You know who those great customers are!!

Or, another example is to just invite all your contact lens customers for a Plano sunglass viewing no finger foods or drinks provided. Its all up to you, whatever you think is going to bring you a great day and really depending on your available space and your budget.

Some frame companies have postcards available to you at no cost so you can use them to send to your customers as invites. Just ask the rep what they can DO for you especially since you are giving them frame board space and some of them have an expense accounts.

For a larger crowd and depending how big you want to go, get the word out by going to different stores in your area inviting the employees, their customers and friends. You can also create flyers to display in their store and also yours. Place an ad in your local “hip” reading material. Hopefully you have one of those papers that you can pick up that tell you about every event that is happening in your city.

Some frame companies will allow you to use your co-op dollars for the advertising you do.

You can do this kind of frame show a few times per year, depending how successful it is for you and if you enjoy it or not. You shouldn’t have a problem obtaining a high $ day if you have the right people on the floor helping you with the sales and a good turn out.

Another note: You don’t have to focus on just one frame line. You can do a combination of different companies. Reps can be quite competitive and believe it or not, this will help you with your sales for that day!!

Sound like FUN??? Does anyone do this type of “trunk”/ frame show in your area? You’ll definitely be the talk of the town and when you involve your customers to be models, they just so happen to brag about it to their friends. And their friends tell their friends.. :D

Think BIG, be BIG!:cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just wondering if you had your trunk show, and if so, how it went!!
    :D Eyegrrl

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Not a bad idea doing it yourself. We only have one office but dressing our perky little receptionist up and letting her do her thing might just be the ticket to highlight our spring and summer line up. Food for thought.

Can we rent your 'perky' receptionist for our frame show?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Can we rent your 'perky' receptionist for our frame show?
    I don't think she does Kansas....hey, go get your own! ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue Wow, I forgot to follow up!

Quote Originally Posted by eyegrrl View Post
    Just wondering if you had your trunk show, and if so, how it went!!
    Sorry I never came back to let you all know about our trunk show! But we did end up having it and the rep came in from Coach. We gave away several Coach prizes like wristlets and bags, had food and balloons and several patients even won free lenses, which they loved. It all went very well, and definitely made it a better month for us financially.
    We had sent letters out to target a certain demographic, and those patients were given an extra percentage discount that could be used up to a month after the show, so we were still seeing these people weeks later.
    Many of the patients who ended up buying coach frames that day were just in for their regular exam and were curious about the party.
    I think all in all it went well but the merchandise was just right for our area and Coach is pretty popular right now. If it wasnt so trendy right now I dont think the show would have done anything.

Thanks for all the tips though everyone! :o

Thread Information