Thread: Anyone Want to take this patient from me?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Anyone Want to take this patient from me?

A while back I posted about the lady who was coming in every 2 days and spending an hour with problems on her nose pads. Didn't matter the adjustment or pad type, they always dug in her nose. I was hesitant to let her switch frames since the lenses were an autograph 1.6 with ARC, however after her monopolizing so much of out time over the period of a month.. I had to think of mine and my assistant's sanity..

Well unfortunately it seems we still have a problem, even after switching to a zyl frame.

Originally it was "I don't see as well out of the new lenses as the old." So we adjusted the frame, made sure the corridor was lined up as the old, and same amount of panto, face form, etc was there. She was ok for 2 weeks.

Then it was, "The ear peices are rubbing my ears." They are resting gently behind the ear, not even touching the area she is pointing to. Still I heated them a bit, and moved them a micron, and it was better..

Now she is back saying, "they are making red marks on my nose..." Well Mrs. ???? Your glasses sit higher on your nose than where you are pointing to, and I can not see how it is the glasses. I had her move her head every which direction, and they did not ever slip down that far on her nose.

She doesn't want a refund. She wants her glasses to fit and be as perfect as what they were for the first 4 months she had them....

I am absolutely going insane!!!

This patient in materials has already cost me several hundred dollars due to having to remake the lenses. New frame, no remake policy from lab. She was originally a VSP patient....

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think when she is not in your office she comes in mine. ;)
    The patient I have been dealing with likes to weep about it also. She will literally cry because we just CANT get her nosepads right. This has been going on for months. I have offered many times to refund her glasses but I think she just wants the attention. Her husband passed away last year and so we just keep being as patient as possible. The hardest part is that she will sit there for over an HOUR each time while our other patients are waiting in line to be helped.

Hang in there. I feel your pain.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whenever I have had one of these odd balls it helps after a while if you don't give them so much attention. Why make your other patients wait while you try to do what can't be done. I leave them sit while I answer the phone, wait on others, etc. I go back to her when I can. I stopped smiling so much and giving her so much sympathy. I told her there is nothing more we can do for her but if she wants to stop by once in a while we will check the fit. She comes by very rarely now. All she really wanted was the attention and when that was removed, the problem was solved. Where is it written that you have to be a psychiatrist? Bottom line...stop being so nice.

Deb

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Simple:

Elderly people + sagging skin+ an-inability-to-understand-the problem is *not* the frame/pads =

SNI - Sudden Nasal Irritation

Weed them out!

B

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper No weeding................................

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

Elderly people

Weed them out!

Dead wrong.........................................

Your bread and butter is the aging population that increases the reading add periodically and will purchase new lenses and sometimes frames about every 2 years from the age of 45 to 72.

That equals 27 times up to $ 500.00 if you sell an average pal in an average good frame.............which brings you $ 13,500...........which is no peanuts.

Some people are a pain in the neck, (probably were also in younger times) but they talk to their friends, which is their main occupation when over 70.

Many an old lady has recommended the patient and nice optician to friends.

So do NOT weed them out !

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Dead wrong.........................................

So do NOT weed them out !
    Hey Chris! I didn't mean *all* elderly people...

...only those who cannot accept the natural aging process, and refuse the appropriate dispenser-recommendations on alternate frame choice...or even nose-pad type.

Stubborn+ cantankerous + elderly+ illogical = WEED THEM OUT!

Barry
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 02-23-2007 at 03:28 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Well, option # 3 is to take her glasses back, reinstate her benefits and gently usher her out the door.....and then call your Shamir rep to see if he/she will give you a few coupons on their other products to offset your loss. I know they don't give Autographs away but a few Genesis or Creation coupouns would take the sting out somewhat.

I agree with Chris but you cannot possibly make every single patient happy and how much more time can you give her than you already have? Sometimes when you come to them with that scenario they get over it suddenly and no longer have problems and they still stay so it is sort of a win-win. She stays but quits complaining....
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist

usdan crutch

Anyone heard of the Usdan crutch? I believe it was invented to lift the bridge off of the nose to offer relief. Problem is, it's ugly. Maybe if you show her that as being the only other thing you can do, she'll suddenly realize that the specs fit just fine!

Bad address email on file OptiChick21's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please do not send this patient away!

As I'm only about 30-45 mins away, she may end up coming to my office!!

:hammer:LOL...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOL, I truly do feel your pain! I agree with Barry, unreasonable people do a circut, and if you're spending that much time with her, you're loosing money! Stop doting on her. How on earth can you spend an hour on an adjustment?? Goodness, I know how you feel, but I wouldn't cater to her any longer. Be short, sweet, and to the point. If she wants more attention then that, she'll have to find another outlet.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I worked with an experienced optician years ago who had a system for dealing with pt.'s like this. He would take the glasses into the back of the shop, wave his hands over them (like a magician), then return them to the customer and assure them that he had made the proper adjustment. They always went away happy, and always came back for more, but he didn't let it get to him.
    :)
    Chimperial Optical-what a great place to work!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by scograd View Post
    Anyone heard of the Usdan crutch? I believe it was invented to lift the bridge [up] off of the nose to offer relief ...
    Like to see an image, if anyone could post one. Not just for my own sake - although I would file it away in the back of my mind in case my nose ever became super-sensitive to tactile pressure. I searched with Google but I didn't find any sources online ...

"Strange Facts" has been on a seafood frenzy. How many squid do you have to catch if you want to serve up a ton of fried calamari rings or sautéed calamari steaks? Need a hint ..?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I did find something else of interest ...

US Patent 4204749
    Eyeglass frame with temple adjusting braces

Webpage: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...&RS=PN/4204749
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snapshot 2007-02-25 13-09-00.jpg  

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll trade you for a meth head stripper. Don't get me started on the stories. :hammer:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If Rinsie's previous post is any indication, your meth-head stripper has been inventing new ways to keep glasses from slipping, that hopefully, have some advantage over Steve Martin's "opti-grab."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    I'll trade you for a meth head stripper. Don't get me started on the stories. :hammer:
    C'mon....... I LOVE meth head stripper stories
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Lesson learned, eat the cost of the lenses and the frame. Make sure she leaves happy. You want her to come back. When she comes again next year. Make sure the files states that you will only do one redo at no charge, with no refunds. Bang her hard next time. This way you can recoup some money lost. Those kooky people come back. Treat it like a game. Having her leave unhappy will not get you any money. If she doesn't agree to the new rules then who cares you loose money with her anyway. Good riddance

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Don't underestimate elderly

I might have a frame for you to solve this problem.Please pm for phone # to discuss about frame,adjustments &etc.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wouldn't even consider elderly though. She is in her lat 50's. Not 70+ where I could see the skin being more fragile.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=Monkeysee;178670]I worked with an experienced optician years ago who had a system for dealing with pt.'s like this. He would take the glasses into the back of the shop, wave his hands over them (like a magician), then return them to the customer and assure them that he had made the proper adjustment. They always went away happy, and always came back for more, but he didn't let it get to him.
    :)

I once worked for an unethical boss who espoused such an attitude toward problem patients. He would tell the patient that he was remaking their glasses while secretly doing nothing.He called this a shelf adjustment. This same optician ,while president of our local Opticians Association, had his Florida Trip to the National convention paid for even though he attended no meetings. I never adopted this Opticians' Morals and neither should any of us. Going back to the original problem, discomfort with nosepads, I have had success with the jell-foam like pads whose name I forget.Also , iF a total remake is possible , as it would be in my office (one reason I love it here) The Airlocks by Marchon or the Silhouette Titans solve this problem.
    Bob Taylor

Thread Information