Thread: PAL markings???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused PAL markings???

I was wondering if anyone knows of any reason why labs leave the PAL markings on the lenses when they are returned to the optician? Also, is there any purpose to leave them on after checking seg ht, PD and Rx? I find it very time consuming to clean off when making a delivery. Especially if the markings extend beyond the eyewire. You have to use a Q-tip to get at it and it still is difficult. I do understand that you can check for fit on the patient. This can be done also by checking near and distance vision and noting if any head posture change is necessary. If their vision is quite poor, we could remark the lenses and check then. If the glasses are checked/passed at return from the lab, there should be very few instances where this would occur. Give me your input, please...................Mullo

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Talk to your lab Mullo.

Most can and will remove the marking before sending to you - they can put on a vinyl mask that pulls right off after you verify the job. No cleaning, on your part involved, other than a quick wipe with a cloth.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Smilie Why....

Well Mullo, We leave them on so that the optician can check that they are correctly glazed in the frames. Yes i know that you can always remark them but we are always getting lenses sent back for remarking after they have been glazed (we dont glaze many jobs yet) because the optician cant (be bothered) or find the markings. So its catch 22, damed if you do and damed if you dont.
    As all vari's seem to have diffrent height form prism ref point, its the only way to be sure.
    The point JRS is a vaild one but not every varifocal manufacture has the vinal mask to use only AO over here .
    Best bet is to tell the lab you get them from to remove them for you, I am sure they would do it with pleasure..

Occupation
    John R -
    You don't get Essilor & Sola vinyl masks in the UK?

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question Maybe but

JRS. we only get the rub on transfers, they might do the other kind but as most of the work we send out is uncuts, customers dont like the vinyl masks as they have to remark the lenses some other way proir to glazing as the vinyl wont stay on the lens.

Occupation
    Oh that's true. Had forgotten that the majority of lab work is uncut. You're right, they can't use the vinyl and edge. Although I went by a retail place in the USA, that was trying to edge on top of the vinyl masks - they wondered why the lenses kept twisting off-axis.

PS - don't think I've ever run across the 'rub-on transfers' over here. I think i'll look those up.

Thanks for the reply John.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Ok

I've used the vinyl masks before and they were great!!! As for the optician not wanting to mark up the lenses again, they don't have a choice. It should only happen in a blue moon if at verification time an error isn't caught or if more than the minimum adjustments are needed. We only use Essilor Naturals and Comfort progressives, so the marking up should be easy to remember the OC height from reference point. I'll talk to them and see if they will oblige and remove for me.....Mullo

:cheers:

Thread Information