BTW, Do you know if American opticianry qualifications like ABOM, NCLE are recognized outside of North America? I know of British optical qualification FBDO (CL) is immediately granted recognition world-wide.
I do not believe the ABOC, NCLC, or ABOM is recognized outside of the United States. I had the occasion to investigate the requirements Opticians in the U.K. are subjected to and was favorably impressed.

Without casting dispersions, I believe Dannyboy may have a point regarding the relative "uniqueness" of the US eye care market. On the other hand, I believe Optom's point is very valid- the level of education usually corresponds pretty well to the level of care. In that case, Optometrists have it all over Opticianry in the US. If the profession of Opticianry wants to do something about that, the answer is as close as the nearest college with an Opticianry program (in my case, Hillsborough Community College- right across town).

I think it is generally accepted that Florida has one of the more stringent licensing laws here in the United States. Unfortunately, until the apprenticeship loophole is closed and only formal eduction is allowed (and I publically recognize the hypocrisy of this statement- since I qualified for the boards based on experience in the field and didn't even formally apprentice), I think even here we are destined to being delegated to "second-class" status in the healthcare community.