Paw said:
If opticianry is the fabricating and dispensing of lenses, why is optician learning how to do a medical procedure like retinal angiography? Playing doctor? Scary...

Believe it or not, a lot of Opticians want to expand there knowledge and expertise in different areas, where by becoming
more proficient and more valuable to the MD they are working for.
At least in Western N.Y. a lot of the MD groups have hired Opticians to fill a dual role. One as Optician and the other as a tech. Where they will adminster taking of history and a host of other questions regarding the patients heath.The office
I used to be in, I was responsible for autoclaving all instruments,
taking history ect.ect. Also instructing patients on contact lens procedures. Retinal photography, auto-refraction and adminstering field testing. This freed the OD or MD to continue on with the other patients and then coming back to go over the results from the previous patients. I also had the resonsibilty to order frames, lenses and cases. Problem was once my pay reach a certain level it didn't matter how much I had learned, it came down to how much was he paying me and he thought that was to much after 3 years of service. Live and learn.
:bbg: