Don't give up hope. Some opticians are already refracting under the direction of a doctor. I am lucky enough to work for an ophthalmologist who wanted me to refract. All three of our certified ophthalmic assistants also refract. He checks us all periodically, but as long as we were comfortable with the results and the patients responses, that is the refraction used. If a patient needs minor modifications to the glasses, I refract them, ask him if I can make the changes, he signs it and I save him time.

I am also fitting, designing and evaluating contact lenses. This requires over refractions, changing power and perameters of lenses, and biomicroscopy. The only time my doc sees a contact lens patient is when I ask him to and that's the way he wants it. I wouldn't want to refract or fit contact without him there. Although I was very fortunate to receive a great formal education in opticianry, it is very reassuring to know that he's there for questions and reassurance.

Assistant & techs refract in ophthalmology offices all day, everyday. I don't think that should be any different for opticians as long as they are trained properly.

Education and organization are the key.

Michele