Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Opticianry dead?

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Certainly, success is up to the individual. Don't get me wrong, there are and will continue to be opportunities out there for those smart enough and brave enough to take them (or make them), especially for those who aren't afraid to acknowledge change.

-Keith

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    after reading this thread ... I would have to say I think opticianry is dead.

RIP, little Buckaroo...:(

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Opticianry is NOT dead. TV repairmen are not out of work, they just apply their knowlege of electronics in other, more economically viable areas. The times, they are-a-changin. We need to change, and to do this, we need to expand our scope of practice. Simple. Optometrists are doing this, and so should we. Should they expand into areas traditionally held by ophthalmology while we remain static? Should we stand still while the other 2 Os milk the multi-billion dollar opti-cow? You need to refract. Its the logical next step in a world where ophthalmologists refract less, optometrists are prescribing meds, getting more refractions, selling eyewear, and, from a marketing perspective, in the position of requiring every one of your customers to visit them first for a prescription before either purchasing eyewear fron the optometrist or, maybe, finally coming in to your store for a "quote." Refract. Stop ignoring the Eyelogic unit. They just sold a whack of them to France where the French Goverment just Announced that opticians there can use Eyelogic, and BILL THE goverment health plan. This isn't an anti-optometrist rant-they are expanding their scope, and good for them. But we need to do the same.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Dead is in the eye of the beholder . . . .

I look at this board and in my own community and I believe that it is alive and well. My friends youngest daughter just came back to the family business. She's not only able to do lab work and troubleshoot a job, but she has returned with her MBA and a true love of this business. I saw her last week and she was just bubbling with new ideas. Her Dad was sitting in the corner grumbling about how she'd come home and told him he was doing it all wrong, just proud as he could be. She's obviously smart enough to have become an OD or even gone on to something outside the industry, but she chooses to be an Optician. If she doesn't believe its dead, then neither do I.

I look at members of our own forum. They are getting their formal education, learning what they can from mentors and adapting to the changes in this business. They are the changing face of this business. I will do what I can to support them. If they decide they want to refract or anything else I will do what I can in terms of time and money to help as best I can.

My wife and I already have our own exit strategy. I'm sure some of you do as well. If we can support their efforts then we've done what we can to help!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Is Opticianry Dead

After reading some of the most recent posts, I have to say something in defense of Orangezero. Who's to say he isn't qualified to teach opticianry?

I have worked for O.D.'s, M.D.'s, Opticians, and Big Box. There have been good ones and bad ones in all disciplines. As I see it, this has to be a symbiotic relationship. In general, opticians know more about fabrication, fitting and troubleshooting than those that don't deal with it on a daily basis. However, there are some in the other professions that know as much, if not more, than the "certified" opticians. After all, he did go to college for 8 years.

Whether or not they desire to participate in the opticianry aspects of the business is a personal (or business) decision. It is shame that some people are so arrogant as to think that there is nothing to be learned from an optometrist (or ophthalmologist for that matter).

In my opinion, there should be mutual respect for the different factions of this profession. Adversarial relationships only hurt the patient and if I'm not mistaken, taking care of the patients is what it's all about.

I would hate to be a disagreeable patient in Alan W.'s office-he'd probably call Guido. (no offense to my Italian-American friends!)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dear Stephen . . .

In defense of Orangezero . . .
    He has the right to say what he wisheS, hire who he wishes, be where he wishes, go where he wishes, practice how he wishes. He also has the right to set standards of employment within his own borders.

Having retired from the optical industry after 38 succesful years including European training, ownership, corporate management of both opticians as well as optometrists, I find a small percentage to be like Orangezero. I also have worked with and for some pretty smart ones who made millions and couldn't do labwork, some who couldn't troubleshoot eyewear including considering the ramifications of their Rx's before making the glasses. Those who didn't have the skills almost always had great technicians, some also had bad ones and couldn't tell the difference until the patient complained in frustration. I moved on after 4 career changes within the industry, because I continued to become educated driven by the desire to grow.

Only some doctors in practice for themselves foster a climate that makes people want to learn and grow, sharing a business philosophy like what I see from Orangezero. I also noted that many doctors who didn't have to concern themselves with a regular paychck, were great trainers and mentors. And, there were exceptions as there always are.

I have the right to dislike the philosophy of individuals, INDIVIDUALS, who do not foster growth, and don't take that same philosophy all the way in growing the practice with top flight individuals. I have the right to be arrogant in the face of brazen ineptness in developing people for mutual benefit and profitability. If he doesn't know how to capitalize on talent, don't proclaim to be a smart manager. And, I repeat, I am targetting an individual. Not a community. Great customer service is a basic skillset the absolute worst provider should have on his staff. That's not all he needs. That's no criteria or justification. I truly hope he is a recent entry to the field. That buys him time to mature.

Just to set the record straight, I worked with a group of optometrists led by an optometrist who called a lot of his colleagues idiots because they were hardly making a dime and had staff from reject tech. In the real world of management, removing the culture of growth also makes the leader, the owner, the boss . . eventually stagnate, too. Just because 8 years of schooling has come and gone, he holds no license in management. Nothing could be farther from reality. You, yourself, may very well have more management maturity than he does, and may not have the opportunity he has. I hope you have the nurturing gene in your optical psyche.

So, if you'll excuse me in this my final posting, but defending an INDIVIDUAL whose contribution to opticianry is sophomoric at best, prevents someone who wants to be a great technician from getting there, and muddies up that poor individual's resume so that when he finally realizes it's time to move on, he will carry baggage unnecessarily. That's another responsibility we all have to our younger colleagues, although it isn't written . . . do what we can to help steer them in their career and teach them to identify a quality path in their career.

You need to completely understand the ramifications of an INDIVIDUAL who does NOT support the cause of education because he won't hire them, and call it part of his business plan. That's an insult to my intelligence as well as to you. Correction . . . a blight on opticianry. If I am wrong, let him speak up with solid evidence to the contrary.

I have witnessed the degradation of opticiany since 1972, and I've been there, done that, and know from all sectors where the "poisons" are, as seen fram a vantage point (a macroview) that some can only dream of, which includes internal influences. He doesn't appear to support opticianry at all, since he personally won't have much to do with it except tell us he won't have much to do with it.

And, do yourself a favor . . don't lump this individual in with the community of optometric professionals who do support opticianry by fostering a culture of excellence and development. There are far better professionals to defend and bond with.

I'd probably play golf with this guy any day. Might even let him be my neighbor. What I'd do with my nine iron is another story (semantically speaking!)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of the recurring themes you hear from many of the most experienced opticians on this thread is the concept of "steering" a career as an optician, reiterated by Alan W. Thats a really good point, and opticianry, like many career oportunites, has the same elements. You can work the bottom end, and try your best to bring all opticianry down to your level. You can better yourself. then try to prevent others from doing so, so you can retain your "one-eyed man in the kingdom of the blind" status, or you can plan a career that includes education, training, innovation, interest in the profession, and what you can do to further yourself and your profession. You can look further at education opportunities that allow you to better yourself, and earn a living at the same time. Its hard work. I know. Passing your ABO doesn't always entitle you to an intant raise, but rising above the crowd will. There may be times when you may have to give notice to an employer who will not recognise your attitude and apptitude, but only the best companies hire the best employees. Do find out who pays the best, and hires the best, and is the best, and ask them for a job. If you really did better yourself, and place value on training and education, have a good positive attitude, You may be surprised to find out they already heard of you, and were waiting for you to come along and join their team. Plan a career, set goals. It really is a great industry, you can have a great career, and you can be well trained and well respected in this field, but you will have to work at it. You will have to be patient and motivated. When people want to belittle your efforts, discourage education and skill, they just made your job easier, because those are the very same people who make it easy to rise above. Good luck, and don't hesitate to use the optiboard as a really good resource in your pursuit of a rewarding career in opticianry.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you Dave. Well put!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Too bad this had to degrade to name-calling. Thread cleaned and closed.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information