Thread: tip for tinting those lousy, crappy, good for nothing spincoat src's

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper tip for tinting those lousy, crappy, good for nothing spincoat src's

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Elmes
    How about a tip for tinting those lousy, crappy, good for nothing spincoat src's. A few minutes after immersing them in a tint or UV the air bubbles apppear(on the rear surface) which prevent the dye or UV from evenly absorbing without leaving blotches or orange peel. I have blasted them for producing a machine that causes so many tinting problems. They sent me a product which you add to the dye to reduce surface tension or something similar. As a scratch resistant coating they are better than nothing, on clear lenses. As a coating that needs to be tinted.....it sucks.
    On CR39............do not do any backside coating before tintng. Apply the coating afterwards if you have to. Actually a backside coating is not even needed or could apply a scratch resistant slick coat. and you will have no more problem.

Properly cured and un coated CR 39 opens its pores when hot and lets the dye pigments penetrate evenly into the surface.

Breaking the surface tension is a must to eliminate un-even tinting, but you are describing air bubbles which would be due to hard coating with a UV curable resin and having some out gassing problem.

Polycarbonate..............has a surface that can not be tinted, therefore you tint a tintable hard coat that has a thickness of 2 microns (which is very thin). If you get bubbles there is an adhesion problem or the coating is not properly cured. You should look into those problems and correct them.

Also the use of microwaves speeds up the tinting process up to 100 times and lets you tint to darker shades on hard coated lenses than when using the dye pot.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I'm going to tint which is rarely, I order "tintable" poly or uncoated CR39 only. I don't know exactly what brand "tintable" poly is but it apparently does not have a coating and it works. The patient is told that this is the only way I can get a decent tint. I don't care to mess around with possible bubbles. If it's sunglasses they want I sell them polorized so they get the scratch coat they need.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Wow...when I was a lab rat I never once had an issue tinting a spin coated, UV-cured CR-39 lens to a 80-85% density. Poly was a different story - roughly 85% of the poly lenses I tinted I could get to roughly 80% density without issue.

Then again, that's when I was in the lab - as a dispenser I don't generally sell a basic tint unless it's cosmetic. Sunlenses in this office equal polarized.

Rising Star OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Spotless tints

BPI sells a couple products that help with that problem. One is called spotless the other is call spotless pearls. We use both in our tints so I'm not sure which one is solving the problem...but they do work.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love this thread, wish we could get more rival mfgs. debating products.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper a couple products that help with that problem

Quote Originally Posted by EdSheridan View Post
    BPI sells a couple products that help with that problem. One is called spotless the other is call spotless pearls. We use both in our tints so I'm not sure which one is solving the problem...but they do work.
    CR39 has a high surface tension and the use of a surfactant solution will correct the problem. Most tint suppliers do have something along that line.

However if a lens is hard coated on the minus side and the coating is not properly cured evenly on the whole surface you will get spot that can not be corrected because the surface accepts more pigment in on area than another.

If the hard coat on a polycarbonate has been dipped to fast you will have a thicker layer in the part that was at the bottom during the dipping process. This part will tint darker than the other half of the lens.

Thread Information