Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progressive lens fitting heights ? ? ?

OptiBoard Professional skirk1975's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Angry Progressive lens fitting heights ? ? ?

I have some questions here. First, it has been my ecperience that SO MANY people come in wearing progressives and when I mark them to check the height they are currently wearing they are SO HIGH! No way the fitting cross would be on pupil. They are several millimeters high. What is going on? When you get on eye level with someone, there is really only one way to fit it. Within a millimeter or two. Are these people always looking down at the patient?

Also, there are some who as soon as the patient seems to have any difficulty reading, the automatically say we have to raise the seg height and jack it up a few millimeters? What is this about. If that is fit proper on center pupil, than maybe it is the RX? ? ?

What are your experieces with fitting heights. I am just curious.
    :hammer:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Heights

Heights are a mistake a dispenser must take utmost care to measure correctly when measuring.

I am quite often called upon to check progressive heights another dispenser has measured. It is to my amazment that these can be out by up to 2mm with the other dispenser for the simple fact that they haven't adjusted their chair to be at eye level (all patients sit in a standard flat back chair and the dispenser has an office chair with which they can adjust the height)

When i say 19 and they go "19?....I got 21?!?!?!" i just grimmice. I ask them to sit down and take the heights again looking over their shoulder to see what angle they are viewing from.

Some like to mark up the lens with a sharpie. I strongly disagree with this. Why have another person check your heights if you are makring them with a magic marker?

I think they should either use a device to check the heights such as the frame mountable one we have by essilor or use a pen light and a ruler. Marking up a lens with texter, only to have that number not agreed with by another dispenser does not instill great confidnance in the consumer.

I know that there is a margin for error with progressives through manipulation of the nose pads but i have no qualms about measuring a height 3 times to be sure that the patients posture is at its most natural therefore resulting a more accurate reading.

I think that when all the above and I'm sure there are other things i haven't mentioned are concerned...the fault lies in the hand of optom, and an incorrect add. Perhaps due to cataracts but more than likely due to being rushed and not being able to fit the patient with trial lenses

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You just found the number one reason for non-adapt. Fitter error.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Couldn't agree more...

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    You just found the number one reason for non-adapt. Fitter error.

When I started to think of all the other reasons for non-adapt that weren't fitter error, they still all came back around to...fitter error!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The PALs that I see are usually too low, about 2mm on average, but sometimes by as much as 5mm to 7mm. When I see them too high it's usually because the pads were never adjusted properly, forcing the lenses to sit up and out.

Also, there are some who as soon as the patient seems to have any difficulty reading, the automatically say we have to raise the seg height and jack it up a few millimeters? What is this about. If that is fit proper on center pupil, than maybe it is the RX? ? ?
    Or the corridor length.

I'm still seeing Rxs with two add powers- the manifest add and then an add "if PAL", usually an extra +.25.

Regards,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ht. measuring

It is necessary to check multiple measurements...seated, seated as if driving their car, and standing. A small dot bi-secting the pupil is best( I like the new white ink pens to see it in front of pupil). How they sit in the car and how their chin is when standing will effect the distance portion the most. Some people have found that a tall patient will change the progressive ht. as well, because they are usually looking downwards at the world below.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's not only knowing where to place that dot we love so much, but also knowing how to properly measure the actual height...not straight down from that dot but to the deepest part of the eyewire.

Nah...we don't need no education....that's what redos are for...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    When they look at someone across the desk, patient has a tendency to push chin out. Thus too low.

Harry

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I was helping troubleshoot a pt's specs from another optical recently, I was glad I didn't blurt out that they were fit atrociously high as they turned out to be Seiko's (zero drop) marked up on a generic (four drop) layout chart!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Without looking at any real data or statistics, I would say a large amount, probably over 40% of non-adapts and redos are human error (wrong heights, off axis lenses). And a good portion of the rest of the non-adapts because of cheap, union type PAL's that have so much distorion its almost comical. I see it all day long, patient comes in, hates his PAL's and wants something new. As much as you try to explain that they were made too high, or not edged straight, or the brand of lens they were given is HORRIBLE, they have their mind set they will not try a PAL again.

Because of the previous retailers incompetent staff that couldn't take proper measurments, or the lab tech that passed a PAL not being on the 180 line, or the fact that they were put into the cheapest stock PAL available, this patient does not want to try another PAL, it left a bad taste in their mouth, and now I have to go above and beyond to explain to them if made properly, for what they do, a good-quality PAL would be the best lens available, and they will indeed adapt to this lens.

Ohhh mannn, only if these mega-big lens manufacturers knew that more than half of their non-adapts were human error maybe they would invest in some sort of an idiot-proof device that any "clerk" can use to take an accurate height. (maybe they would sell alot more)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    In our practice, we find that nearly 100% of progressive non-adapts are of the "patient decides not to adapt" variety.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    In our practice, we find that nearly 100% of progressive non-adapts are of the "patient decides not to adapt" variety.
    +1 ... same goes for me

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If someone has trouble adapting to our budget no-line bifocal, it's my own fault for selling it to them in the first place. When it goes on sale, I do a real tap dance to avoid letting them buy it. I tell them it has a very narrow reading area, that only people with a +1.50 or lower ADD power like it, and I say this while pointing to the +2.50 on their own Rx. I tell them that the higher their ADD power the narrower the area of clear reading zone will be in the budget lens.

While they are still busy being disappointed about the budget lens, I tell them the very reasonable upgrade price on the very best Carl Zeiss lens with a WIDE reading area and they say YEAH, GIMMEE THE ZEISS!

If I can't make that happen, I remind them that the standard FT-28 is also free with that sale. If they say they don't like lines, I ask them if they've noticed that I'm wearing a lined bifocal. Usually they can't even tell.

To date, I have not sold the budget progressive. It's my personal mission to never sell it. I even printed up the distortion grid from thelensguru in case some engineer insists on buying it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    lol, when that engineer tries out-talking you on that budget lens you will put him in his place with those lens maps!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

hts

best way to check if your measurement is right is to use Saake,s rule of 35

you will find if measured correctly, 99 per cent of the time that progressive will be 3 to 5 mm above the center line, and conversely lines will be 3 to 5 below, try it and see if it does not work for you

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    best way to check if your measurement is right is to use Saake,s rule of 35

you will find if measured correctly, 99 per cent of the time that progressive will be 3 to 5 mm above the center line, and conversely lines will be 3 to 5 below, try it and see if it does not work for you
    This is exactly what online sites use to interpolate e height measurement they don't get supplied. frames Direct as much as said so.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I can't make that happen, I remind them that the standard FT-28 is also free with that sale. If they say they don't like lines, I ask them if they've noticed that I'm wearing a lined bifocal. Usually they can't even tell. [/QUOTE]

Why even sell progressives at all to your customers? You are wearing a lined bifocal and surely you are wearing the best lens on the market!

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post

Why even sell progressives at all to your customers? You are wearing a lined bifocal and surely you are wearing the best lens on the market!

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    I cheat. There's no A/R on the bifocal. With the store lights bouncing around, the line is less noticable. OK I know this, but I also know that most people with over +2.00 ADD are making themselves miserable trying to see their computer with their progressive.

Progressives are a compromise between vanity and vision. If I can get them to buy the SolaOne with A/R for driving and a bifocal with computer power in distance/ reading power in the segment for office work, they love them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmm. I have never had a problem using my laptop or desktop with my PAL. I'm currently wearing a SightStar365, but also have a Surmount in my current rx which has a +2.50 add.

I think that if you let your patients know they're going to be unhappy, they probably will be. Fortunately, my Optician (me) never told me to expect a problem.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=I think that if you let your patients know they're going to be unhappy, they probably will be. Fortunately, my Optician (me) never told me to expect a problem.[/QUOTE]

+1!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    I cheat. There's no A/R on the bifocal. With the store lights bouncing around, the line is less noticable. OK I know this, but I also know that most people with over +2.00 ADD are making themselves miserable trying to see their computer with their progressive.

Progressives are a compromise between vanity and vision. If I can get them to buy the SolaOne with A/R for driving and a bifocal with computer power in distance/ reading power in the segment for office work, they love them.
    I agree somewhat...even with higher adds, its more in the mind, I sell them a digital PAL and say you cant sit at the computer for 6 hours, but for general work the PAL will be fine, give it a shot and if you feel its not good enough for the computer you need to get a seperate pair of computer specs

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post

I think that if you let your patients know they're going to be unhappy, they probably will be. Fortunately, my Optician (me) never told me to expect a problem.
    I don't tell them, they tell me. Many people say they struggle to see the screen with their old progressives. These are not occasional computer users, but people who are in front of the screen for hours a day. I love to hear someone say they're on the internet rarely because I can sell them a compact fit progressive in the 25 B measurement fashionable frame they like and they won't miss the intermediate zone they aren't getting.

No one has complained about the Ft-28 with computer Rx in distance and reading in segment. Many have come back to tell me how much more comfortable they are at work. It's a good second pair.

I might try selling a progressive with computer Rx in distance and reading in near, but it would be more expensive. People want their second pair to be the cheapie. Is that how you do it or do you depend on the intermediate zone being adequate in the standard Rx?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    This can be overcome and even almost eliminated by a thorough explaination at dispense of what patients will experience. My Progressive non-adpat rate was less than .5% which was almost as low as my SV non-adapt rate at .3% .

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    I might try selling a progressive with computer Rx in distance and reading in near, but it would be more expensive. People want their second pair to be the cheapie. Is that how you do it or do you depend on the intermediate zone being adequate in the standard Rx?
    I tried that at first, but too many folks came back complaining about the line (disturbing/aggravating). Nowadays I use a PAL for the computer eyeglasses if the client's general purpose eyeglassses are PALs.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea Fixing incorrect fitting heights

Hello everyone!! This my first post ever. Im hoping you all can help me out.

S= Patient sees better with old glasses. (PAL) 5 year old pair of glasses! Last pair.
    O= I checked the old and new glasses to look for any differences in measurements besides the Rx change which was very minimum.
    A= I found two different fitting heights on the old glasses. One was on center with the pupil and the other was 3mm higher. The new glasses where made on center OU with the pupil, which caused the patient not to see better because see was used to the wrong fitting height. This produced the wrong power throughout the PAL corridor.
    P= Im making the new glasses with the same base curve and i will fit the patient with only half of the incorrect fitting height, which is 1.5mm up instead.

Any ideas??

Thread Information