Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opticrafters

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Opticrafters

As I was working on my various crafty projects over this past weekend it got me wondering how many OBers craft?

What type of crafts do you do?
    Do you sell your crafts and if so how do you do?
    How did you get the inspiration?

Feel free to post pics if you have them. Also, I have been reading a lot about craft swapping and thought we might want to arrange an OB craft swap where everyone sends one item they make to another OBer that crafts.
    Last edited by Cindy Hamlin; 02-05-2007 at 08:30 PM.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here are the crafts I do:

knitting
    crocheting
    jewelry making
    general crafts

Here are the items I sell:

push pins (made with vintage buttons)
    crocheted flower brooches
    Fabric flower brooches
    crocheted cell phone holders
    bracelets made from old necklace beads

My brooches started from old buttons that I got from my Grandma that were sitting in a jar serving no real purpose, but a shrine to my G'mom and her old buttons. As I bought more buttons to use I ended up with lots and lots of buttons that I can't use on the brooches (I buy jars to use a few). That gave birth to the button push pins. Some pretty fabric gave birth to the fabric brooches.

I have been selling all of the above for about 6 months now and have made about $40-50 per month. December was my best as at one shop I made $100. I consign at 2 shops currently.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I sew...a lot!

I make tote bags with an optical theme...or any theme you can think of. I usually get $30-40 for them, depending on how complicated the theme.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Do water 'crafts' count? :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I posted pics of some of my projects on "just conversation" about 5 pages back under the title: "Should opticians use power tools?" I'll show you mine if you show me yours. icare, nice snipe(?) Check out the little runabout I built last year. Maybe we could race?
    Last edited by Dave Nelson; 02-05-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just thought I'd help Dave out and post a pic of the LRB (Little Red Boat) for him (and save anyone viewing this the hassle of finding the previous thread it was posted on).
    Dave is quite a talented woodworker; my favourite piece he's built to date is a windsor chair that is just exquisite. Can't neglect to mention the grandfather clock, either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    These days I'm primarily into scrapbooking and card-making. The former to showcase my photography addiction, and the latter to use up all the scraps from the former ;)

On occasion, I also cross-stitch and crochet. Unfortunately, I'm much better at starting projects than finishing them :o

Last Christmas, I made packages of my cards (10 cards in a little box with a couple of gel pens) to give as gifts. It hasn't occurred to me to try and sell them...

I like the idea of a craft swap. If we do one, I'm in!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    I posted pics of some of my projects on "just conversation" about 5 pages back under the title: "Should opticians use power tools?" I'll show you mine if you show me yours. icare, nice snipe(?) Check out the little runabout I built last year. Maybe we could race?
    That runabout is BEAUTIFUL! Do you have plans? The sailboat is a SunFish from 1967. My Dad had it under a deck at Lake George, NY and asked me if I'd like to have it. I spent last summer restoring it and it sails as well as the day he purchased it.

I think a runabout project would be great. If it could take a 10 or 15 horse outboard, my son and I could make great use of it.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

icare...just do it.

I do indeed have plans. If you google "Svenson's free boat plans" you will find dozens of reprints from old Popular Mechanics plans. The boat in the picture is rated to 20 hp, but planes well with 7.5 or 9.9. It is very stable, makes an exellent fishing boat, and a nice project. It is called a "polliwog." My only regret is not using oak or mahogany for the trim. If you decide to build, pm me.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Crafting projects?

I have made many a baby book for people using fabrics/trims/ and specialty papers.

I write poetry and have printed some on special paper and framed them as gifts..

I do some sewing, currently designing a quilt to make for my parents along the line of a "family tree" (my parents are great geneology enthusiasts)

I do some specialty framing and paper crafts as well, along with some jewelry making. (a favorite patient of mine makes jewelry and even has her own cleaner out now!)

I have gotten paid for some of the baby books (I have had many people who received one from me ask for me to make one for their friends/families as gifts) I have also gotten paid for many of my baking/candy making goods as well. The doctor here just gave me some real vanilla beans.. so I am trying to figure out what special project I want to use them in.

One of the things I would like to get into is making my own chocolate. From selecting the coaco beans to roast on up to making something good with them.... (expensive though)

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    Crafting projects?

The doctor here just gave me some real vanilla beans.. so I am trying to figure out what special project I want to use them in.

Cassandra

Home-made vanilla icecream, made with real vanilla beans. Trust me, you'll never want the storebought stuff again.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Scrap-books and ice cream? Baby books? We have to split the crafts down the middle and have a thread for men, and one for women. Boatbuilding is after all, a MANLY pursuit, with big noisy power tools and lots of sawdust. Glue guns are for the delicate and dainty.

:angry:
    Settle down Jaquie, I'm only kidding. Actually, a lot of women do woodworking, and seem to do very well at it. I encourage any women who want to enjoy finely crafted wood furniture to learn the basics of woodworking. You will never regret it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    Scrap-books and ice cream? Baby books? We have to split the crafts down the middle and have a thread for men, and one for women. Boatbuilding is after all, a MANLY pursuit, with big noisy power tools and lots of sawdust. Glue guns are for the delicate and dainty.

:angry:
    Settle down Jaquie, I'm only kidding. Actually, a lot of women do woodworking, and seem to do very well at it. I encourage any women who want to enjoy finely crafted wood furniture to learn the basics of woodworking. You will never regret it.
    Dave, I took shop my Sr. year in HS and made a coffee table, a key holder and a record holder. I was pretty proud of the table, but honestly I like carfts with more instant gratification.

Judy, I have one of your opti-totes that I had my favorite monogramming place put a large red "H" on it. It had black quilted fabric and everytime I carry it get nothing but compliments.

I thought we had a lot of craft lurkers on the OB. Little did I know we had so many.

Lets give it another week to see who else might want to contribute to the thread and participate in the swap. I am so excited.

Dave, might be hard to swap not to mention pack the boat! But here's a big...large....man grunt and a brewski for you! :cheers:
    ~Cindy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Cindy, I'm glad you like it!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Oh come on...there have got to be more crafters in OB-land! Come out, come out wherever you are!!:D

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mlm View Post
    Oh come on...there have got to be more crafters in OB-land! Come out, come out wherever you are!!:D
    My craft is selling, does that count?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crafting...

O.K. I admit to membership in the start more than I finish club as well. I craft. Do you find that once you pick one thing up you "have" to find something to do with the leftovers from it and a whole new direction is taken. Then it just repeates itself untill you have an arsenal of hobbies? I have had to trim down to just a few (the underlined ones).

Scrapbooking (fave)
    Cards
    Mini memento boooks
    Beading
    Yarn Crafts
    Knitting
    Crocheting
    Kiddie Crafts (pipe cleners and popsicle sticks)
    Baking
    Sewing (home things as well as clothing)
    Cake Decorating
    Flower arranging
    Painting
    Wood Restoring

As the above is a list of crafts I have been into at one point or another and still have some items left over. Now it seems I do not have a lot of time for crafts and do not want to buy more to add to a nice large collection.

2 ideas, we could organize a swap and trade what we do not want/use. I have a lot of beading and could really trim down my scrapbook collection.

The other idea is an envelope swap. Every one interested adds thier name to a list. Then stuff whatever will fit into a standard #10 envelope w/ 1 stamp and send it to the next person on the list. Next round go through the list in opposite order and so on with various ordering of the list untill you have had enough or get through the list reciving one envelop from everyone on the list. It is really fun and if you get something you do not care for then send it to the next person on the list!

Judy, do you think I could order a tote from you? I am looking for something that has a LOT of pockets in the inside around the sides with a nice roomy center area for "stuff". I lost my sewing machine in the last move and have not replaced it. Have about 2 tons of fabric though. :bbg: Something Optical would be nice and I do not have any optical fabric.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sure! How many pockets?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been called "crafty" does that count?

Seriously;

I do make my own beer. I am a homebrewer.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Seriously;

Its all making sense now.... lol

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Seriously;

FEZZ IS MY SWAP BUDDY!:cheers:
    ~Cindy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by efsamuel View Post
    O.K.
    2 ideas, we could organize a swap and trade what we do not want/use. I have a lot of beading and could really trim down my scrapbook collection.

The other idea is an envelope swap. Every one interested adds thier name to a list. Then stuff whatever will fit into a standard #10 envelope w/ 1 stamp and send it to the next person on the list. Next round go through the list in opposite order and so on with various ordering of the list untill you have had enough or get through the list reciving one envelop from everyone on the list. It is really fun and if you get something you do not care for then send it to the next person on the list!
    I like the idea of the list, but I couldn't fit mine in a #10 envelope.

A #10 envelope is 4-1/8" x 9-1/2".

Come on carfty lurkers...we know you are there!
    ~Cindy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Hamlin View Post

FEZZ IS MY SWAP BUDDY!:cheers:

Awe shucks........

For the first time in my life...I feel wanted. ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Awe shucks........

For the first time in my life...I feel wanted. ;)
    Yeah, Fezz, it is You! ;)
    ~Cindy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the thread here are the crafters for the swap. Let me know if you don't want to participate. Dave, I didn't think you could mail the boat. Snitgirl, how does one package craftiness? :hammer: Fezz, the homebrew might not be legal to ship.

Cindy Hamlin
    Judy Canty
    mlm
    Jubilee
    efsamuel

Do we want me to pick one buddy and we will each receive one thing?
    Do we want to get one item from each participant?
    How often do we want to send items? Monthly? Every other month?
    ~Cindy

Thread Information