Thread: There's nothing bad to say about Silhouette!

Bad address email on file OptiChick21's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

There's nothing bad to say about Silhouette!

OK, so I was just thinking about how great the Silhouette line has always been for us (mainly all their drilled rimless - Titans, minimal arts) and how we never have problems with the products or company reps. And I find that any other frame rep or optical employee, or even patient for that matter, never has a bad word to say about them... so I was just wondering:

DOES ANYONE HAVE A BAD REMARK TO SAY ABOUT SILHOUTTE???

LoL. I just find it odd, it seems they are near perfect!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, thier minimums to open an account and prices are too high for small operators.

Red Sox Red Sox Red Sox optirep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Optichick21

I get to hear almost everyday how someone hates this company or that company. EVERY company is included. I can hear how great a company is in every way in the morning and how bad they are in the afternoon.

The reason is many people run their business on emotion!

Big companies are usually big because they do it right! If they don't they fade away.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Not Silhoutte, but their parent distributors COS. The Adidas line is pure junk and cost me loads of money, the customer service is rude, their accounts office is horrible, and they are egotistical, arrogant jerks that will not get another frame in my store.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have had nothing but a good experience with Silhouette in the 15 years I have dealt with them. Their rep is a doll, always helpful. The Adidas line is one of the only lines I have found (rimless) that fits a high bridge so nicely. Minimal Art sells itself at least two or three a week (and I personally don't like the style) and no problems. Great warranty but rarely have to use it.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Have had nothing but a good experience with Silhouette in the 15 years I have dealt with them. Their rep is a doll, always helpful. The Adidas line is one of the only lines I have found (rimless) that fits a high bridge so nicely. Minimal Art sells itself at least two or three a week (and I personally don't like the style) and no problems. Great warranty but rarely have to use it.

The Adidas rimless kept break at the bridge plugs on me. People would just be wearing them and snap. Had to replace every single one.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Me no likey adidas ophthalmic. Likey the sunwear.

Silhouette is a cool company. But if they put me in charge, it would be cooler, yet!

One complaint: eggs in one basket: light, rimless stuff. Judging from my experience, not everyone will have a rimless forever. This too shall pass...

Another complaint: SPX is way to good a material to waste on granny glasses! How about hauling it out for the middle and younger ages, again?

Where do we go in this world to get luxury men's frames? Yes, Silhouette, but many men want the "luxe" feel and a little substance. Silhouette would be perfect for this.

Another complaint: their frame taxonomy is ludicrous! The numbers make my head spin.

Having said that, Silhouette is one of a kind. Often, often copied. A true innovator.

Plus my rep's a sweetie, as well.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Yeah, thier minimums to open an account and prices are too high for small operators.
    Yup and Yup. I would also add that at least in this area, if you don't carry the Swarovski on top of a large number of other Silhouette mounts the rep won't give you the time of day much less service your account. I find that totally unacceptable and can't beleive anyone in this area tolerates his attitude.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    Yup and Yup. I would also add that at least in this area, if you don't carry the Swarovski on top of a large number of other Silhouette mounts the rep won't give you the time of day much less service your account. I find that totally unacceptable and can't beleive anyone in this area tolerates his attitude.
    Ditto down here.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've had several of the Titans break, mostly in the middle of the endpiece. I don't carry anything of theirs anymore - again the minimums. I never cared much for the SPX material, though it was good if you got the lens a bit small- just heat it. I liked Optyl better. Curses to Safilo for killing Optyl.

That said - still the ONLY drill mount I have had ZERO breakage has been the Kishimotos from Global.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

Another complaint: SPX is way to good a material to waste on granny glasses! How about hauling it out for the middle and younger ages, again?

Plus my rep's a sweetie, as well.
    DITTO on both. I dont know how many times I'Ve wish they could make a mens spx frame.
    Paul:cheers:

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wish the nose pad arm was made a little longer so when I have to shape them they don't ride higher. Better still that silhouette shape them for us! Also, maybe a limited selection of colors (chassis not the line) were made with longer posts for the high minus who insists on wearing drilled rimless!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fester, I agree, longer posts would be great in some cases.

I've always had very good experiences with Silhouette. When I started in this field, we sold Silhouette's like crazy, and everyone loved them! Then, I started working for another office which didn't carry Silhouette, but offered several lines of rimless. BROKE LIKE CRAZY! Working there made me understand why several offices shyed away from rimless in general.

As for being too much for a small office, I'm not sure what you're basing that on. We have only 400 frames in stock, but we carry the TMA's and a couple other lines from Silhouette. They pay for themselves.
    My rep is awesome, also.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused breakage

One major problem way too much breakage on clip ons . I even broke my own...... I stand behind them and replace at no charge ,& send them back for credit'but discourage their use.......

Bad address email on file OptiChick21's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

hmmm

I guess i would have to agree that it would be nice if they made more frames from SPX for the younger generations...

But you gotta love the narrow bridges they have for those granny glasses, great fit for thin bridges...

We brought in the new titan Space edition line of rimless several months ago and they're nice, but we find all the shapes are almost too big! (I think they were geared for the PAL wearers, but too big is too big) PLus that chassis design is kinda tacky...

We may trade that tray in for another style this month...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Not a single breakage here since they upgraded the titanium anout 6mos ago.

They are a touch arrogant, but I think that's allowed.

I've never had a problem with Adidas. I wear a tma and a ski goggle with insert.

My rep is slick. She's been doing it forever and is one of their best. Reps certainly make life better (when they're good).

Brian

Thread Information