Thread: License Question...

Bad address email on file

Redhot Jumper

I was just wondering so I hope someone can help me on this one.

I'm in CA which is no-license state. Assume I passed both ABO & NCLE and working for a store. If I want to move to license state, what would happen? Do I have to start all over again and do apprentice time or I can just sit for the state license exam?

Any input would be appreciated.
    Thank you all.

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jill...........I too, work in an unlicensed State (Maine) and 8 years ago picked up a part time job in Massachusettes (a licensed state). The inspector threatened to close down the dispensary because I was not licensed, just ABOC. To make this short, after 9 months of official hearings with the Mass. Licensing Board and playing ping pong with them (there is no reciprocity between Maine and Massachusettes) I had to document ANY AND ALL experience since I began in 1984. If you would like to see the the finished document, let me know. Advice...........do your homework and log in hours, tasks performed, time spent, hands on learned and so forth and so forth and so on. Good luck.
    Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oh, by the way...............I did receive a license in the State of Massachusettes and will NEVER let that one go. : )
    Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Hey Jill - it is best to get info from the state that you will move to. Each state will have their own regulations but in general you do indeed have to provide documentation about your specific skill experiences and of course ABO & NCLE certification before they let you sit for their state board exam.
    In NC, they can consider a waiver of examination contingent with their requirements. Since you've already achieved both the ABO & NCLE you shouldn't have any problem with the rest of the exam. Good luck. :D

don A.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Jill,
    Just echoing Don's advice- call the Opticianry Board of the state that interests you. When I arrived here in FL, I was quickly informed that having the ABO/NCLE/ABOM/etc. meant nothing without a license (you can't even call yourself an "Optician" on your resume.

Thankfully (for me ;^), you are qualified to sit for the licensing exam if you can demonstrate 5 years of experience in a non-licensed state (along with the ABOC and NCLC certs).

Good luck... this might also be a good post to put on the State Associations Forum here on OptiBoard.

Pete "Happily Licensed in FL" Hanlin

Big Smile

Thank you everyone for your information.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Jill,
    Here's the site for the listing of the licensing boards in USA. As you have already been told, each state is different. http://www.opticians.org/html/license.html
    Hope this helps.

Diane :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Diane, That list is extremely helpful. I am moving to Virginia and have written to the Licensing Board without any response. (so far) Now I will be able to them.

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Originally posted by Jackie O:
    Diane, That list is extremely helpful. I am moving to Virginia and have written to the Licensing Board without any response. (so far) Now I will be able to them.

Jackie O
    Jackie, the Virginia Board meets on June 9th...you should hear something shortly after that...let me know if you don't...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Judy................I was wondering why I had not heard from them.

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Is that right?!? California is no longer a licensed state?? Used to be Opticians were licensed to locations & we were controlled by the Board of Medical Quality Assurance. Can you still fit contacts out there without an OD??

If that's true, that really sucks!!

Oh well, I hope you're all having fun & making money!! Isn't that really the best revenge?!?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Jackie :)

Where are you moving in Virginia? I am in search of a licensed Optician in the Danville area.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Jill,

California is a licensed state (at least I hope so, as I just sent them my renewal fees!). You can reach the proper folks at the following address:

Medical Board of California
    Registered Dispensing Opticians Program
    1426 Howe Avenue, Suite 54
    Sacramento, CA 95825-3236
    Phone: (916) 263-2634

Requirement for a license is to pass ABO for spectacle dispensing, and NCLE for CL dispensing.

Hope this helps.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Used to work for an optical shop in S. Cal. There had to be a licensed optician present during all open hours. You had to be ABO certified to get licensed-and then pay them $75. for a piece of paper to post in the back room.

License in California is nothing like other "licensed states" and some chain stores operate license optician on site. Friend of mine works for xxx optical shop and only licensed person is the manager. Naturally, manager is not present at all business hours and the person act as assistant manager. When manager is off, she act as "manager in charge". I'm very new in the field so my understanding maybe wrong. If so please correct me. Also, I was told that we (here in S. Cal) don't get paid as much as other optician in "licensed state" because anybody works in optical shop can call themselves "optician" here. I would love to hear everyone's opinion.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unfortunately in this business we can hire anyone off the street show them how to enter an order in the computer, how to take a seg ht the you are an "optician" It is amazing! I had some optical experience as an optech,but had never FIT glasses. No problem. I have learned ALOT from other opticians, my own mistakes, and optiboard, but I by far have a long way to go before I think I could ever consider myself a good optician. I am not being hard on myself, but honest. It is sad for everyone: the"optician" and the patients. People go to school for 2 years to become an optician. You can't just bring them in and show them how to do in a couple of days what it takes 2 years to learn. Just my opinion! I was no exception! I just hope to be in a job one day where I can learn more and grow in this profession. I think I have done about all I can do where I am today.
    Good luck!
    Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by KarenD:
    Hi Jackie :)

Where are you moving in Virginia? I am in search of a licensed Optician in the Danville area.
    Hi Karen.............I am moving to Virginia Beach in April 2001. Where is Danville? Curious. I am still doing homework up here to prepare for my move to VA. If you like I can send you my resume.

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dear Jackie-in defense of the MA Board of Registration- let me state the following:
    1. The Board rarely, if ever, plays ping pong with an applicant.Each application for licensure contains an area in which
    apprenceship time is documented and attested.
    2. A board investigator does not have the authority to threaten to close, or to close a shop.The boards authority extends to the license holders not the shops.A shop can be closed only after prosecution by the Commonwealth.

3. By definition, the Commonwealth can not possibly have a reciprocal agreement with a non licensed state.
    The Board does the best it can to insure that all license holders have the appropriate training and competence to adequately serve the public.The Board is sorry that you misunderstood the purpose for their request for documentation of your apprenticeship and you will be happy to learn that they are addressing the problem of apprenticeship requirements in non-licensed states in their current review of the rules and regulations.
    I hope this helps.
    Harry C Jilson, Board Secretary

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry,

Yes, your info is helpful. Quite a few Optboarders have e-mailed me from various states wondering how to approach a licensed state, coming from a non-licensed state. When I applied in Massachusetts, it was in October of 1988. In Septmeber of 1989, licensure was granted to me, following a hearing. Understanding that it was over 10 years ago I can only imagine that rules and regulations have tightened up. The "inspector" at the time was also inspecting Barbers and unfortunately did threaten to lock the door.

So now I am off to Virginia and have been in contact with their Regulatory Board. I just phoned Blair Wong to find out the phone number of the Division of Registration of MA. 617-727-3046 is what I have on file. I need a Certificate of Good Standing from your Board.

Keep up the high standards. Massachusetts has a great reputation.

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Christine
    Originally posted by Jill:
    I was just wondering so I hope someone can help me on this one.

I'm in CA which is no-license state. Assume I passed both ABO & NCLE and working for a store. If I want to move to license state, what would happen? Do I have to start all over again and do apprentice time or I can just sit for the state license exam?

Any input would be appreciated.
    Thank you all.

I think all states are different. Contact the Opticians Association of the selected state in which you are contemplating on residing in.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dear Jill, In most licensed states the ABO and NCLE would be enough to be considered for licensure.Many states also require passage of a practical exam.You should document your apprenticeship time in CA.You should maintain your certification and be able to document continuing education credits.In view of your certifications your time as an apprentice should be allowed.If the state in which you wish to be licensed has a 3 yr apprenticeship requirement and you only have 21/2, you may be require to complete that time in that state before being qualified for licensure.This problem would be solved if all of the licensed states would standardise requirements, then you could allow "Mutual Recognition" which is being done in some other healh care professions.That by itself would make a topic for this forum.
    Hope this answers your question.Best wishes Harry Jilson

Thread Information