View Poll Results: What do you thing of Chemalux AR coaters?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use (have used) one and I reccomend it.

2 8.33%
  • I use (have used) one and I don't reccomend it.

6 25.00%
  • I have not used one but I like the idea of it.

6 25.00%
  • I have not used one and I don't like the idea of it.

10 41.67%

Thread: In House ARC?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In House ARC?

I am planning on opening a second location in the near future. We currently have a one-hour lab format with Gerber/Coburn equipment. Our volume will go up dramatically. Please give me your opinions on bringing some sort of AR coater into one of our labs. We would probably coat 15-20 jobs per week.

I have looked a Chemalux. Sounds a bit wierd. Has anybody had any personal experience with this product?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For 15-20 jobs a week I would use outside Quality coating!
    When you go to 40-50 jobs a day you can purchase one!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As soon as I can apply Alize in house, I'll start doing it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

I second that!.....

As EFW indicated, anything less than a premium A/R coat would be a step backwards in my opinion. The expense of putting a Crizal coating system is going to be the downfall of many a small operation. Chris..

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    AR is a picky thing. It really has to be done right or else it can become a nightmare. Honestly, I would not do it if it were free to me.

I am interested in the two people who said they do it and recommend it have to say.

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    As EFW indicated, anything less than a premium A/R coat would be a step backwards in my opinion. The expense of putting a Crizal coating system is going to be the downfall of many a small operation. Chris..
    It has been pointed out before that the equipment being used for coating is not proprietary to any one company. Correct me if I am wrong but the chemicals being used and possibly the equipment are being branded. The features of these branded coatings that are repeatedly mentioned here have been available in Asia prior to their introduction in the US market. The prices for these features in Asia are significantly less than the branded names sold in the US.

Doc

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation

Scratch resistant

Doc

We have a new scratch resistant coating which has attracted the interest of a number lens vendors in Asia. Send me an email and I will send you a technical product bulletin. Since this is not a product thread I do not want to post details.

Rising Star
    Occupation

AR Coating

The process of AR coating is not proprietary, nor are the chemicals or process. However the devil is in the details. To make a good product you have to pay attention to all the small details. I have seen some coatings boil off in in 1 - 2 boils. The industry (Colts lab) standard is 6 boils. A good AR coat should be able to do 18+ boils.

The biggest cost in the US and across the world is marketing and positioning your brand. The Asian guys can do AR for $1.00 a pair because they also have other incentives, like Government subsidies etc. However usually their AR will boil of in 1 or 2 dips.

What does this mean to your customers? It means that the AR coating is soft and has not adhered well to the surface of the lens. when your customers take it home and start rubbing it with their rags, towels, etc, it will come off pretty easily.

Find a good coater and do not bring AR in house for 15-20 jobs per week. For 100 JPD it may make some sense, but less than that is suicidal.

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The chemat system does not work at the wholesale level. The colors are inconsistant. You may get by with that at the retail level if you chose.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    The chemat system does not work at the wholesale level. The colors are inconsistant. You may get by with that at the retail level if you chose.

We have never had any trouble with colours, our customers would let us know if we did. We've had no more trouble with it coming off than with any other AR. The big thing to remember with any AR system is to follow directions exactly.

P.S. We are a wholsale lab.

OptiBoard Apprentice ELM OPTICAL's Avatar
    Occupation
    Jacqui

How long are you using it?
    Do you use it for all materials?
    How many pairs a day?

Thanks

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ELM OPTICAL View Post
    Jacqui

How long are you using it?
    Do you use it for all materials?
    How many pairs a day?

Thanks
    We've been using it about 1 1/2 years +/-. We use it on all materials, however some brands (especially Essilor) drive us crazy. 2 - 20 pairs per day.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
    The biggest cost in the US and across the world is marketing and positioning your brand. The Asian guys can do AR for $1.00 a pair because they also have other incentives, like Government subsidies etc. However usually their AR will boil of in 1 or 2 dips..
    It is hard to know where to start on the above statement. First, I assume you are referring to China regarding government subsidies. Perhaps in the agricultural sector this exists (like in the US and Europe) but 100% this does not occur in my sector. Secondly, where do you think the bulk of the stock AR coated lenses are coming from for the US market? I can tell you that the bulk are coming from China, Korea and Taiwan. I know for a fact which famous, multinationals are outsourcing in Asia and which factories they are using. I think it is unfair for you to pass such a deragatory statement.

Some factories manufacture product for the US market, others for the Korean and Japanese market. These would be more expensive, higher grade product. Then there is product that is lower quality that typically sells in less developed markets. The problem arises when an importer wants the real A grade product for C grade pricing. This is when quality issues will occur and there is no convincing someone when the only thing they have on their mind is price. You get what you pay for.

Doc

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper You get what you pay for..........................

Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina View Post
    I know for a fact which famous, multinationals are outsourcing in Asia and which factories they are using. I think it is unfair for you to pass such a deragatory statement.

You get what you pay for.
    Doc
    Actually you can go on the websites of these multinational corporations in the optical trade and can find that just about 100% of their lens production comes out of Asia,

When are we starting to understand that a product made and purchased in Asia cost's, lets assume $ 1.00.

1) If you purchase directly from the source that will be the price

2) If you purchase from a single importing distributor it might be $ 2.50, which includes his profit.

3} If you purchase from a multinational corporation you will pay at least the price they charged you..........before they shifted to all the new sources in Asia.

You can now do the mathematics yourself, and then you will understand why they can afford to sell their products to a Costco and W-Mart and other large customers at a fraction of what you pay.

Furthermore when there was only glass lenses, AR coatings had a tendence to stay for a much longer time span than they do on plastic lenses out of multiple reasons.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    1) If you purchase directly from the source that will be the price
    Only if you own a Star Trek style transporter, and can get the lenses from Asia to your location for free.
    RT

Occupation

what trouble do you have with essilor lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    We've been using it about 1 1/2 years +/-. We use it on all materials, however some brands (especially Essilor) drive us crazy. 2 - 20 pairs per day.

Jaqcui:

what trouble do you have with essilor lenses? i use the same a/r on them, I don't think I am having much trouble with them.

Occupation
    I don't know what the problem is. It just seems that every time there is a problem lens it's an Essilor. Fortunately we use very, very few of them (we would rather not use any).

Occupation

No free Transport.......................

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Only if you own a Star Trek style transporter, and can get the lenses from Asia to your location for free.
    Why should your transporter be free. If you buy lenses from Asia you can also find normal transporters for a fee that transposes to a couple of cents per lens.

American companies have forever been afraid to purchase out side their local circle.

I ship to the USA on a daily basis out of Canada and years ago we had to introduce a system so that the customer would not even realize that he purchased from outside the US. We incorporated the customs clearance into the price, took care of that matter and the merchandise arrived at the destination by UPS as if it was purchased in New York.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Why should your transporter be free. If you buy lenses from Asia you can also find normal transporters for a fee that transposes to a couple of cents per lens.
    American companies have forever been afraid to purchase out side their local circle.
    Chris,

It is funny that you brought this up. I spoke to several US companies (multi store operations) recently who purchase a sizeable amount of product from a distributor on a monthly basis. Based on their product usage my company could save them 30-60% on their stock lenses and Rx lenses even with shipping costs calculated into the price. The number one reason they were reluctant to order from us was fear: fear of importing and fear of ordering overseas. They never imported before and believed it would be difficult and they also believed there was less risk then ordering from a local supplier.

Some companies seem to focus exclusively on bringing in more business and ignore areas that they have direct control over which is cost of goods.

Doc

Occupation
    What options do I have if I want to set up an AR coating facility in my business? Materials, equipment, costs?

Occupation
    It sounds like you are further down the line than me - what problems/issues can I expect in setting up and AR caoting facility - materials, equipment, costs ?

Occupation
    What is the typical cost of an AR coating /lens?

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by oasmike View Post

What is the typical cost of an AR coating /lens?
    Once you own the equipment needed, have some expierienced help who knows what they are doing. the material cost should not even be discussed in this forum open to the public and the thread should be moved to "For Professionals" only.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by oasmike View Post
    What options do I have if I want to set up an AR coating facility in my business? Materials, equipment, costs?
    You can try the Chemlux system, I had good luck with it others have not. I had mine in a climate controlled room and followed direction exactly.

A Satis SP200 is the next step up. It is a sputter type unit made for smaller labs. $500,000+

Most larger labs use ion gun type machines Zeiss, Satis, Optovision, etc. $1,000,000+

The big cost on AR coating is labour.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Basically I think it is a good idea and the process is very nice for small labs, but its final performance cannot be compared with a vacuum AR in terms of scratch resistance and overall protection.

Thread Information