Thread: Changing my image

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Changing my image

I am reorganization my frame boards. The research I have done here on optiboard is priceless. Colorado Springs is conservative not as hip as California or New York but patients are wanting an edge in fashion. Dr K you say buy what you want to sell not just what your public wants, I agree. I stopped buying until I got to a comfortable number before purchasing again. Fezz, I am also getting away from the Safilo, Rodenstok and Marchon that I also stock I want to buy smarter too I am tired of all the core product. I am looking for a new look. Quality products at a fair price. This week-end I am going to Denver to check out Europtics should I introduce myself when I visit another optical? I haven't in the past but the times I did it was chilly.

While visiting other opticals, most of the frames look the same Charmant, Viva, Luxottica, Avalon, Modern, etc. The impression I want to project is personal image and personality--improving all of you with great frames, and quality lenses.

What opinions do you all have on Chrome Hearts, Oliver Peoples, Bevel, Eyephorics, Beausoleil, Allison, Pro Design, Christian Roth, Matsuda or any others I might have left out?

Yvette

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Chrome Hearts, IMO, don't have the quality I'd expect for their price. Pro Design is a great value for the designs you get - but be careful, it's easy to carry a little of this and a little of that from their lines. Better to stick with a wide selection from a few lines. And BTW, the new Gail Spence frames have been golden in our office.

Oliver Peoples has Oakley behind them now, so that could be good, could be bad. Never liked them before - too difficult to work with. Matsuda was a great line for me 10 years ago - haven't seen anything from them since then.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We aren't high end, but . . .

I'm always surprised at the edgy designs that sell here in rural Kansas. From Allison, we carry the Tri-Change line (Used to be Toulch). This is the drill-mount with interchangeable temples. Allison redesigned it to fit better and it's stronger, at a lower price. I like it because our margin is huge, and the frame will brake before the lens will. In case of accident, 5 minutes and a $2 piece of plastic, and they are fixed. I also keeps the patients coming back in to shop for new temples.

In a mid-high line, you might want to try Oga for men and Koali for women from Morel-Cottet. The colors are wild (fushia, lime green) to standard gun and black. Great quality. I wear one myself. We have most of them priced about $220. When someone picks up an Oga or Koali frame and says "I love this", they don't seem to have a problem when we tell them the price. They just pay for it.

Funny you mention the chilly reception. I always get a warm reception when I shop around, as long as they aren't in my market.

Had one person in 2 years ask for Eyephorics. Only 2 shops in Kansas carry Eyephorics. That's one dealer per 1.25 million people. A buddy in Tulsa put in ProDesign because the doctor wanted to carry it. Their new rule is 'Don't let the Dr pick frames'. That is my only experience, innuendo and heresay that I know about any of the brands you listed.
    Last edited by MarcE; 01-25-2007 at 12:10 AM. Reason: scatterbrained

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
    Fezz, I am also getting away from the Safilo, Rodenstok and Marchon that I also stock I want to buy smarter too I am tired of all the core product. I am looking for a new look. Quality products at a fair price.

What opinions do you all have on Chrome Hearts, Oliver Peoples, Bevel, Eyephorics, Beausoleil, Allison, Pro Design, Christian Roth, Matsuda or any others I might have left out?

Yvette
    Are your patients tired of the core product? Quality products for fair prices are very easy to find. Most of these companies will offer an edgy, sorta funky, trendy-ish line within there offerings. You really have to think about your customer buying habits or trends. Our office is located in one of the wealthiest counties in the state. Oddly, most of my customers do not want to spend a bunch of dough on specs. The style is more conservative rather than edgy.I have tried some of the "boutique" type lines and did ok, but not great. So I decided not to waste a bunch of cash on this type inventory. As for the lines that you mention....I do not have experience with any of them.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yevette,

By all means, introduce yourself! I do it everyday. Often, when you tell people you are there because you like what they are doing, they are so flattered that they open right up. Also, many of them see it as an opportunity to learn from you.

You're headed in the right direction !:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This week-end I am going to Denver to check out Europtics should I introduce myself when I visit another optical? I haven't in the past but the times I did it was chilly.
    Yvette
    I would definitely introduce yourself! Get a business card, shake hands, make a contact! Consider it a form of networking. I have mostly gotten warm receptions. The times that I haven't, I understand why. I can almost always tell within the first few minutes if I am in a "optical" shop or a "retail" location. The places with the bogus welcomes are the ones with the "salespeople", not true Opticians or Optometrists. I will be making a bunch of these type introductions in my state shortly. I am on a personal crusade to get the word out about our state society revitalization and the need for us all to band together! GO FOR IT! You are on the right track! Keep it up and keep us posted! Right On!!!!

:cheers::D

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Frame lines............................

Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    Better to stick with a wide selection from a few lines.
    Every frame line has a few best sellers. Many mediocre model that sell a bit and a load of non sellers.

Therefore the best solution is have the best sellers from many lines.'

The sales reps just to get into the door, will recommend thei hottest model first until you are used to them and then they will also load you up with not so good ones.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chris is right!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The sales reps just to get into the door, will recommend thei hottest model first until you are used to them and then they will also load you up with not so good ones.

This is so true. This is one of the many reasons why I rarely see sales reps anymore. The companies that I do most of business with...don't have reps on the streets. I buy what I think I can sell. I don't return product. I sell it. Be responsible for your precious frame boards. They represent a major portion of a practices tied up dollars. Do not let the reps dictate...dictate to them!

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

competition for a slot

In other types of retail, A shop established a number of positions (slots) for different products. Example you have room for 825 frames (slots) Vendors compete for each slot by the sales of there products. Every slot has a ranking. High ranking stays and low ranking goes. The consumer determines which products are important. lowest ranking vendors that do not produce have to go and make room for either a new vendor or more units from the vendors that do sell.

The concept of a full program from a vendor is a waste of your space, time and money. Each (item) slot must earn its right to stay.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Not to let out a secret, but I sure like the new Morel stuff, too. I bought in last week.

Don't go totally away from core. You'll need some. I have about 20% core and about 80% specialty stuff. The core stuff I leave on the board since it turns so quickly. That's the beauty of core: you need little to do a lot.

I would be really careful about going with too much high end stuff at once. I'd have a gradual, careful plan about buying in, line by line. No more than one or two per year!

Move the old stuff, maybe re-price it as "clearance" and get the money off the boards and invest in the new lines.

Don't forget, each dollar spent on inventory is like an investment in the stock market: some are lower investment, lower profit, but high turn...some are higher investment, higher profit, but low turn...

You wouldn't put your retirement portfolio all in one stock, so spread your investment around wisely.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yvette, If you are having success with what you are currently selling, you have established an image already. Be careful not to steer away from what is making you successful. Maybe you just need to reduce the core product a little and add a high end department.
    I know an OD that was selling mostly core product in a mid-scale shopping center. He relocated his office to a more upscale center and carries nothing but high end. Although he moved just across the street he lost a lot of his previous patients. He was no longer catering to them, he had to create a whole new following. It was almost like starting over for him. I think he regrets it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check out Best Image for outstanding value and high quality www.bestimage.com (I don't work for them)
    Also, REM eyewear has Jones New York which is a very nice line, IMO, b/c the quality is good, prices are good, and the designs are attractive and interesting w/o being too "out there". Their other lines are nice as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    MarcE.
    Thanks for the info I am going to check these out. We are not high end also but the few mid priced items I brought in are doing great.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

dont want to completely change just add a few more

[quote=Fezz;174061]Are your patients tired of the core product? Quality products for fair prices are very easy to find. Most of these companies will offer an edgy, sorta funky, trendy-ish line within there offerings. You really have to think about your customer buying habits or trends.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'll let you know how it turns out

mostly gotten warm receptions.

Ok fezz,
    I might be damaged for life if I get blasted with a cold reception, lol.
    Yvette

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check out Match Eyewear. This is a funky line that is sellable. I have been selling them for about a year, and have had 1 defective frame to return. They might get you into the higher end, funky, without tying up so much cash as the other lines you mention.

I applaud your efforts and courage. It show that you are at least thinking about your business and trying to adapt. Just be careful. Drk had a very good response a few posts up. Change is good. make it work for you, not against.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A rep cried today...

I hope by now I figured this reply.
    Ok Do I really need a rep? I believe I can do this too fezz when "I" want to. Saw a rep today I guess she was mistreated at another account because she started to cry and told me she has never been treated like that before... I didn't buy a lot because nothing struck my fancy really. I felt sorry for her it must be a hard job rolling around all the time but I don't know what that was all about I didn't buy anymore because of the tears.
    yvette

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    This is so true. This is one of the many reasons why I rarely see sales reps anymore. The companies that I do most of business with...don't have reps on the streets. I buy what I think I can sell. I don't return product. I sell it. Be responsible for your precious frame boards. They represent a major portion of a practices tied up dollars. Do not let the reps dictate...dictate to them!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good thought

I'll check out morel if you have the web address great otherwise I'll find it.

I guess it did sound like I wanted to get rid core completly I just want less. Two years ago I brought in a line Doc thought I'd lost my mind with but the pt's love it Relections by Traff, last year color combos Doc said no way that well sell * but it is also doing well. I figured one a year did so good I thought about bringing in two lines just not sure which ones. I have been repricing the old stuff and offering occupational packages. Doc has been so surprised he has left me alone:hammer:

Yvette

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Not to let out a secret, but I sure like the new Morel stuff, too. I bought in last week.

Don't go totally away from core. You'll need some. I have about 20% core and about 80% specialty stuff. The core stuff I leave on the board since it turns so quickly. That's the beauty of core: you need little to do a lot.

I would be really careful about going with too much high end stuff at once. I'd have a gradual, careful plan about buying in, line by line. No more than one or two per year!

Move the old stuff, maybe re-price it as "clearance" and get the money off the boards and invest in the new lines.

Don't forget, each dollar spent on inventory is like an investment in the stock market: some are lower investment, lower profit, but high turn...some are higher investment, higher profit, but low turn...

You wouldn't put your retirement portfolio all in one stock, so spread your investment around wisely.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like "doc" is starting to realize he's got a good buyer in his employment.
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Post Not my business

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Check out Match Eyewear. This is a funky line that is sellable. I have been selling them for about a year, and have had 1 defective frame to return. They might get you into the higher end, funky, without tying up so much cash as the other lines you mention.

I applaud your efforts and courage. It show that you are at least thinking about your business and trying to adapt. Just be careful. Drk had a very good response a few posts up. Change is good. make it work for you, not against.

I'll check out this line.:p This is not my business but I did help in its growth. I came aboard after only being open 3 months now its 3 years later, I am a worker bee with pride.

Yvette

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is not my business but I did help in its growth.
    Yvette
    I do not own my business either. But, I do take an ownership interest in the business. I try to run this ship exactly as I would run my own. I am fortunate to have a boss that understand and respects me. He knows that I have his best interests at heart. I make him money so that I can make myself money!

Thread Information