Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best city or province to open a new optometry office?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Best city or province to open a new optometry office?

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the board. Since I am a fairly young optometrist, I'm really glad I found this discussion forum. I'm learning a lot from everyone's experience.

I am planning on opening an optometry office with dispensary from scratch. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas of where's a good place to set up a new office. I am open to moving almost anywhere in Canada.

Thanks, in advance.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by optometrist2020 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the board. Since I am a fairly young optometrist, I'm really glad I found this discussion forum. I'm learning a lot from everyone's experience.

I am planning on opening an optometry office with dispensary from scratch. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas of where's a good place to set up a new office. I am open to moving almost anywhere in Canada.

Thanks, in advance.
    Think about many factors:
    - regulations and future regulations
    - size of the market
    - amount of competition in a market
    - quality of life and living
    - do you have or plan to have children
    - economic trends
    - type of store

and many more.

If you are interested in buying a practice I can help you out there too.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Thanks for the reply

I am looking for an area that will do well with a new office opening, so definitely an area that has a need for an optometrist and room for growth. I would like it to be a place that I could also raise a family. I'm not very active in outdoor activities, but I do like nice scenery and good people.

I haven't thought much about buying a business. Is that a better idea than starting one up?

Thanks.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Outdoor activities? Why didn't you say so. Want to go skiing, hiking, and ocean sailing on the same day? throw in a golf game, climb massive snowy peaks and glaciers more than 10,000 feet high, Scuba dive in some of the most spectacular waters on the planet, go rock climbing, or catch a 10 foot sturgeon (catch and release) out of the Fraser river. Or bar-b-q fresh salmon, crab, oysters or cod you catch yourself in the Vancouver area. Hike the "grouse grind" right in Vancouver, or choose from thousands of hiking trails, rivers, lakes and more mountains than you can visit in a lifetime. Once the 2010 olympics come and go, the "secret" will be out.
    Other areas of B.C have some of the finest trout fishing on the planet, deserts with cactus and sage brush where it get to 110 in the summer. Northern areas so vast and unexplored you could hike 500 miles without seeing a road or another person. Want outdoor activities in an urban setting with world class amenities? VANCOUVER. (just ask Snitgirl.:bbg: )

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I may not be the best judge, being from the states and all. I have always been fond of St. Catherines(& Font Hill), Ontario. My second spot would be in Quebec. I think the folks stuck out in the bush country need some real help. I am thinking Abitibi or Landrienne(sp) Quebec.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    Outdoor activities? Why didn't you say so. Want to go skiing, hiking, and ocean sailing on the same day? throw in a golf game, climb massive snowy peaks and glaciers more than 10,000 feet high, Scuba dive in some of the most spectacular waters on the planet, go rock climbing, or catch a 10 foot sturgeon (catch and release) out of the Fraser river. Or bar-b-q fresh salmon, crab, oysters or cod you catch yourself in the Vancouver area. Hike the "grouse grind" right in Vancouver, or choose from thousands of hiking trails, rivers, lakes and more mountains than you can visit in a lifetime. Once the 2010 olympics come and go, the "secret" will be out.
    Other areas of B.C have some of the finest trout fishing on the planet, deserts with cactus and sage brush where it get to 110 in the summer. Northern areas so vast and unexplored you could hike 500 miles without seeing a road or another person. Want outdoor activities in an urban setting with world class amenities? VANCOUVER. (just ask Snitgirl.:bbg: )
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! Only thing missing, MEXICAN FOOOOOOOOOOD, lol.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! Only thing missing, MEXICAN FOOOOOOOOOOD, lol.
    They don't have Mexican food?? That's totally uncivilised. :finger:

My vote would go to Winnepeg, at least they have Taco Bell.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are we talking about the same Vancouver? the one they call "Mexico North?" mmmmm, tacos n' beer. (Fezz salivates like Pavlov's dog.):bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That has been truly the only thing I am having a hard time with here in Vancouver, finding "true" mexican food. Being Mexican and coming from "southern" california (very close to the Mexican boarder) I was quite spolied. I did however run into a really nice Canadian who is Mexican and he gave me a place to go. Some place off of Denman called "Los Panchos" Said that it is the best he could find... So, I shall see....If its the place, then all my dreams have come true... lol..

Jacqui ~ Taco Bell... so American, lol... <--I think Canada is rubbing off on me... lol

Dave, is Fezz salivating over the beer or tacos? Probably the beer. Make sure he washes his hands first before eating with him....

Occupation
    Jacqui ~ Taco Bell... so American, lol... <--I think Canada is rubbing off on me... lol
    Sorry, but the Bell is better than nothing. Canada isn't rubbing off on me, it never left (I grew up in Northern BC :D :D :D ).

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Snitgirl,

I second the Panchos recommendation. I've been there and really enjoyed the food. It's on Denman and Robson.

optometrist2020,

BC is definitely one of the greatest places to live, but I would caution you about Vancouver itself. There seems to be glut of optometrists so it would be difficult to find a place without tons of competition. For example, our clinic is in downtown Vancouver, and there are 6 optometry clinics within a 5 block radius from us. The clinic I used to work at, outside downtown but within Vancouver, has 3 other optometry and 5 ophthalmology clinics within 4 blocks.

Consider the interior (the Okanagan is really beautiful) or Vancouver Island. Friendly people, wonderful scenery; definitely a great place to raise a family.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh wait, the 2nd thing I forgot to mention (sorry pregnant brain here) is the postal service. I miss Saturday postal deliveries and the fact that your outgoing mail is picked up at your door. mon thru sat

So just call me a lazy spolied California girl missing the pick up delivery and mexican food...oh well, nothing an airplane flight can't cure

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Canada isn't rubbing off on me, it never left (I grew up in Northern BC ).
    Let me guess-- Smithers or Terrace?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dave, is Fezz salivating over the beer or tacos? Probably the beer. Make sure he washes his hands first before eating with him....

Oh, believe me, its the BEER. Nothing like a thorough hand scrubbing and a nice hoppy beer. :D:bbg::D:bbg:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    beer. (Fezz salivates like Pavlov's dog.):bbg:

Tongue hanging out , slobbering, drooling and all!

:D:cheers::D:cheers::D:cheers:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy K View Post
    Let me guess-- Smithers or Terrace?
    Near Dease Lake, way north, where it gets colder than Hades.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Meh, I bet it does not get to the -50C with windchill

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sorry to say ....

My vote is also Niagara. (Fonthill, St.Catharines, Niagara Falls)

Your 1 hour or less to Toronto's night life
    20 minutes from the beauty of Niagara Falls (one of the wonders of the world of course)
    10 minutes to beautiful countryside and hiking areas of peace and quiet
    Wine country - nuff said
    Cross the boarder anytime for shopping or to use the airport in buffalo in which the flights are cheaper than flying from Toronto
    It has become one of the golf capitols - and what does lots of golf courses mean? More people with $$$ to spend.
    Many people retreat here from Toronto.
    Historic Niagara on the lake - complete with little shops and Shaw festival.
    Need I go on?????
    Full of opportunity and potential!!!! With the right person ......

Vancouver is over rated - sorry....nice but whatever....
    Praries are too flat....
    Quebec? Well I am biased because I have inlaws there.....yuck
    I could handle out east but I don't think they could handle me....
    PS if you buy an existing business make sure you research before you buy.
    Why are they selling?
    Let me know when you want to chat further......oh great pubs in St.Catharines.....
    :cheers:
    :cheers: It's always noon somewhere!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Vancouver is nice but over-rated? Oh yes, those "great lakes killer whales" are sure spectacular. Oh and your "mountains?" (snicker) Here in the west, we think that when your ski tips reach the bottom of the mountain, the back ends shouldn't still be at the top. I love it when Easterners see glaciers in August and ask when does all the snow melt? And your Niagra Falls? OK got me there. Those really are spectacular. But I'll top your Niagra on the Lake with our Gastown, Steveston, or Victoria. Don't even get me started on Whistler. ;)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Touche pussy cat

At least with our "Great Lakes" you don't have to worry about being eaten by a killer whale. When you have seen the Alps in Europe, Vancouver does not compare.
    It rains there too much....
    We do have ski areas north of Toronto and across the boarder. Besides BC is over populated with vision testing Opticians and already an abundance of opticals.
    Why would a Dr go there??? Oppurtunity lies here!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

oh BTW

The sun is gorgeous today in Niagara - do you know what that is? Sunshine? That little yellow globe in the sky... you know behind the clouds.
    Applause applause.....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The sun? Gee I wonder where the "Sunshine Coast" here near Vancouver got its name? and the The Alps? I'm sorry, but we're comparing Eastern Canada with the West. It wouln't be very fair of me to say St. Catherines has nothing like the Great Pyramids of Giza would it now? We do have the "Grand Wall" of the Stawamus Chief, though, which can be climbed head on for the not-so-faint-of-heart, or hiked around the back way, leading to standing on the knife edge of a sheer 2,800 foot drop. Takes your breath away. :D

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Please be nice Niagara and Vancouver

Can't all Canadian's be friends? Ok, hate to burst your bubbles, but I am avoiding BC and Vancouver. These are my reasons.

1) Vancouver is a beautiful city, but there are so many opticians and optometrists in the urban centre. There isn't much room for a new office. Plus, with the impending sight testing a new office would seriously be affected. Lifestyle would be great there, but I'm not sure about the business side.

2) In Ontario, it is going to take a long time for optometry offices to become more retail vs the current "medical" image. So, when IRIS comes to Ontario, it is going to affect a lot of places because they are offering something new to Ontario. Ontario, is also oversaturated with optometrists, even in the Niagara area. I agree Niagara on the Lake is beautiful; one of the nicest places to live in Ontario and more moderate weather.

As an aside Quebec is the most saturated province of optometrists because of their french-language optometry school, so all 40 students stay within the province each year. Plus, when eye exams were deinsured a lot of the optometrists were scared into keeping their exam fees low, so there are still places you can get a $50 eye exam. That is sad. Anyways, my french is not that great.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR CONTRIBUTING TO THIS POST!

Occupation
    I still think the prarie is your best bet.

How about the Teritories??

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Considering Prairies

What is life like in the Prairies? I'm only considering bigger cities like Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg. Are there any others?

There are rarely any job postings for optometrists for these cities. Why is this?

Thread Information