Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best city or province to open a new optometry office?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    To me, life is a little slower and friendlier on the prarie. I don't know why there aren't as many ads, maybe no one ever thinks of these places.

I love Winnepeg !!!! I also like Yellowknife.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Winnipeg

Jacqui,

What do you like about Winnipeg? Please tell me more? Do you know anyone there who has an optical business?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I was born and raised in Regina. I still believe it's a nice place to raise kids; city life but not so big a city that you deal with a lot of urban problems. But if you're used to the fast pace of big city life, then Regina will be kind of boring. The weather is typical: crazy cold in the winter and insanely hot in the summer. The mosquitoes are annoying, but I think Winnipeg has it worse.

I understand that now the northeast and the southwest of the city are really taking off (lots of new development), so there may be a market for a new office. I suspect that the reason you don't see a lot of job postings is that optometry is pretty stable. You don't have a lot of ODs doing locum work in one office then move to another within a couple of years; something that happens a lot in Vancouver.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

There are a few OD's in the Niagara Region that are ready to retire soon. Then there are the Dr's that people just don't like, then there are the rip off artists - no offence... but you know what I mean.
    One question. If Opticians and Optometrists would be in business together. What is normally the terms of the business agreement.... For example..what if the optical was owned by the optician. The optometrist could keep their OHIP and eye exam $$ but they would also have a percentage of the business right? What is being done else where?
    :cheers: It's always noon somewhere!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Winnipeg is oversaturated.

However, I know there are a lot of Opticians who are willing to make it very easy for an OD to work for them.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Reply to Muucow

Quote Originally Posted by muucow View Post
    There are a few OD's in the Niagara Region that are ready to retire soon. Then there are the Dr's that people just don't like, then there are the rip off artists - no offence... but you know what I mean.
    One question. If Opticians and Optometrists would be in business together. What is normally the terms of the business agreement.... For example..what if the optical was owned by the optician. The optometrist could keep their OHIP and eye exam $$ but they would also have a percentage of the business right? What is being done else where?
    The usual arrangement is a side-by-side operation where the OD rents space from the optical owned by the optician. The OD keeps the exam fees (ohip and cash eye exams). No, they do get a percentage of the optical business because this would be a conflict of interest. I heard this has been done before, but that's pretty shady. The "rent" sometimes is really paid and sometimes not, but it gets tricky when you do your taxes and you have to worry about if the college investigates. IRIS is going to be coming to Ontario and they give 100% of exam fees to the optometrist, but they do not get anything from the sale of glasses or contacts. Their optometrist is able to work within the store and they do not have to pay rent.

Hope this explains things.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Winnipeg is oversaturated.

However, I know there are a lot of Opticians who are willing to make it very easy for an OD to work for them.
    How would you structure a "win-win" arrangement with an OD?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    the general rule is that the store owner sets up the practice, buys the equipment and such. The OD then uses the room and equipment and no charge. The only fee the OD gets are the exam fees, and the OD pays nothing to the practice.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    That has been truly the only thing I am having a hard time with here in Vancouver, finding "true" mexican food. Being Mexican and coming from "southern" california (very close to the Mexican boarder) I was quite spolied. I did however run into a really nice Canadian who is Mexican and he gave me a place to go. Some place off of Denman called "Los Panchos" Said that it is the best he could find... So, I shall see....If its the place, then all my dreams have come true... lol..

Jacqui ~ Taco Bell... so American, lol... <--I think Canada is rubbing off on me... lol

Dave, is Fezz salivating over the beer or tacos? Probably the beer. Make sure he washes his hands first before eating with him....
    Guys are we talking about food ad outdoor activities or optometry? Stay focus!!!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been in the optical business for 12 years. After running an optical business for so many years, I decided to go back to uni and did optometry. My verdict is i will NEVER bother opening an optical dispensary again. Toooo much stress.

I would instead do locum, make $800 to $1,000 per day, work 4 days a week, go home and chill, travel and enjoy life.

The best places to go in Canada to practice include Northern BC and Alberta. Forget about Ontario. Ontario is a joke!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by withwapp View Post
    Guys are we talking about food ad outdoor activities or optometry? Stay focus!!!
    You are responding to a 10-year old thread.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    You are responding to a 10-year old thread.
    Oh jeez I didn't see that clearly enough. I definitely need to test my own eyes and prescribe my self some high index lenses.

Thanks for pointing this out!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by withwapp View Post
    I have been in the optical business for 12 years. After running an optical business for so many years, I decided to go back to uni and did optometry. My verdict is i will NEVER bother opening an optical dispensary again. Toooo much stress.

I would instead do locum, make $800 to $1,000 per day, work 4 days a week, go home and chill, travel and enjoy life.

The best places to go in Canada to practice include Northern BC and Alberta. Forget about Ontario. Ontario is a joke!!
    Looks like Samuel Babs or, his full real name, Samuel Babarinde, is back at it; this time posing as an optometrist.
    He is from the UK graduated in IT from London Metropolitan and emigrated to Canada 2006 to establish online eyeglass retailer ***************** despite its illegality to this day in Ontario. Later he set up School Vision Care with a trailer in BC then Ontario to screen kids at schools and Westfield Optical. The optometrists involved were persecuted by the Ontario college for failing the standards of care and SVC and Westfield disappeared spring 2016. However, he remains active online with schemes to attract foreign investment in scholarships, water parks, flea market malls ect.
    He will be familar with the IOBP program as SVC hired a few of them. (IOBP cancelled the shorter 8week bridging 1 and is now only the year long program.)
    However, despite his claims Mr. Babs/Barbarinde is not a licensed optician or an optometrist. He is aggressive and threatens to sue everybody when he does not get his way. Beware.

For a background check: any student who graduated in one of the UK optometry schools would have had to register here as part of their training:

https://www.optical.org/en/utilities...-registers.cfm

Thread Information