Thread: Compact Ultra

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Compact Ultra

Brian, our AO/SOAL/ZEISS rep stoped by today to discuss the newest in lens design. How many does that make this year? Anyway, Have any of you tried this lens. 13mm fitting ht? Could be cool, but I'm going to order one just to check it out.
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    How many does that make this year?
    I can tell you that it makes it the only semi-finished lens with a 9 mm corridor length introduced over the past year. ;)
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    I can tell you that it makes it the only semi-finished lens with a 9 mm corridor length introduced over the past year. ;)
    Darryl. would you recommend this lens to a pt who is bothered by side distortion while driving , from a GT2 lens which was refit from an original 18 high to 16 high? How about the Liberty ,even though not your product,does claim to have little side distortion. This pt needs a 2.00 add and has never gotten used to a progressive, and is a person who holds her head high.
    Bob Taylor
    Her Rx is -3.00 sph add +2.00
    -3.00 +0.50 x180

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The peak levels of unwanted astigmatism in the periphery Compact ULTRA are very low, even compared to traditional (long-corridor) progressive lenses. However, Compact ULTRA's zone of clear distance vision really isn't any larger than GT2's (it is a super-short corridor lens design, after all). If the patient prefers a wider distance zone, Gradal Top would probably be the best option. It has one of the largest distance zones on the market. Also, does she take her glasses off to perform extended reading tasks? As for Liberty, is has a pretty good distance zone too, though not as large as Gradal Top's, and I don't know that the wearer would find it any better than GT2's.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    The peak levels of unwanted astigmatism in the periphery Compact ULTRA are very low, even compared to traditional (long-corridor) progressive lenses. However, Compact ULTRA's zone of clear distance vision really isn't any larger than GT2's (it is a super-short corridor lens design, after all). If the patient prefers a wider distance zone, Gradal Top would probably be the best option. It has one of the largest distance zones on the market. Also, does she take her glasses off to perform extended reading tasks? As for Liberty, is has a pretty good distance zone too, though not as large as Gradal Top's, and I don't know that the wearer would find it any better than GT2's.
    Yes, she does take her glasses off to read, and I always did like my own Gradal Top but I never fit it this low. I've re-ordered her the Compact Utra 13.5 high and I.ll let you know how it works.
    Bob Taylor

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    Yes, she does take her glasses off to read, and I always did like my own Gradal Top but I never fit it this low. I've re-ordered her the Compact Utra 13.5 high and I.ll let you know how it works.
    Bob Taylor
    My Pt picked up yesterday and was very happy with her lack of side distortion and near vision was good. Success!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We sell the AO Compact Ultra at ECCA and it's been a very good lens so far. In fact, I haven't had any returns on it in my store, so I've been very happy. Of course, I'm very picky about who I put in that lens and always pitch using a slightly larger frame with a different prog first.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Compact Ultra refit

I have seen only two pair of CU lenses. They were from an ECCA. And I saw them because our patient said they made here sick. This ECCA is now refiting them. I know it's not a very representitive sample.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Spoke too soon

My Pt picked up yesterday and was very happy with her lack of side distortion and near vision was good. Success!
    2 weeks after the pickup of the compact Ultras, My patient returned complaining about the side distortion, so...after a few deep breaths, I told her there was one last solution - a round seg with -did I mention that she wanted Transitions and A.R.? She picked up yesterday and seemed satisfied but I'm not holding my breath. Expensive remakes are no longer an issue after our blanket extended warranty with our lab, which covers 2 remakes for any reason in 2 years. we , of couse, do not broadcast this to our patients.
    Bob Taylor

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have used this 4 on four patients so far. One said she noticed a few side distortions but fett she could get used to it. Was very happy with cosmetics. Pt. is a psychiartist and I do not look for this to be a problem. I sure hope not she got four pairs.
    The others seem to be quite happy and feel that they don't notice side distortions.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    UGH. All of these bad reports just made my stomach turn. I just ordered a pair for a patient. I educated them on the disadvantages of small corridors and the such. I might as well get the red started. :shiner:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

1st ultra dispense

We fitted our insurance dept. employee with compact ultra. She is
    plano in distance with a 2.00 add. The side distortion was horrible!
    My Zeiss rep wants me to try it for myself to give my own professional
    opinion on it. We won't sell it again until I,or one of our other
    dispensers, try it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

accidental Trial

I thought my new Gt2's were coming only to find they were Compact Ultras. I sent them back because of the side distortion in distance. Old generation there. I will say there is no intermediate to epeak of and a wide near zone, so, maybe someone who wanted a blended would like it.The near zone is pretty large.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Please rest assured, the Compact ULTRA design works quite well. While no single progressive lens design will please everyone, Compact ULTRA has already been used very successfully on tens of thousands of wearers--even before its launch in the US.

It is important to keep in mind that Compact ULTRA provides the shortest progressive corridor on the market. It was designed to work exceptionally well in smaller frames, which of course necessitates certain optical compromises. This is simply the nature of progressive lens design and its mathematical limitations. If you don't need an ultra-short corridor lens design, a traditional progressive lens may be a more suitable option. But, if you need a progressive lens that works well down to a 13 mm fitting height, Compact ULTRA would be difficult to beat.

Unfortunately, you will see threads like this on just about every product here on OptiBoard. One or two negative experiences can quickly bias a dispenser. But it is important to remember that you must try a new progressive lens design on a number of wearers before reaching any conclusions about the performance and suitability of a given lens in your practice.

At best, accurately prescribed and fitted progressive lenses will achieve a 90 to 95% success rate. However, in a typical practice, the success rate could drop as low as 80% in some cases. This means that, by simple statistics, the odds are already 1 to 4 that the first wearer will be a non-adapt, regardless of the lens. And, since short-corridor lens designs already push the envelope on optical performance in order to work well in today's fashionable small frames, the increased sensitivity of these lenses to such issues should not be overlooked.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    2 weeks after the pickup of the compact Ultras, My patient returned complaining about the side distortion, so...after a few deep breaths, I told her there was one last solution - a round seg with -did I mention that she wanted Transitions and A.R.?
    Bob Taylor

WHY NOT - fit her with the ellispe - trans v ar ??

I have had great success with this lens - no complaints at all - and pts love it more then other reg pals - i think it may have something to do with the 140 Degrees viewing from the dist - ? (( not even sure how other pals compare to this - just read it from the percribing info - ) )

can anyone else comment - on this degree of viewing - compared to other pals - have not seen this info provided on other pals - ??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bt5050 View Post
    can anyone else comment - on this degree of viewing - compared to other pals - have not seen this info provided on other pals - ??

Search this forum. A few months back a fellow Optiboarder=Bobie ran a bunch of really good threads that compared a bunch of lenses.

Try HERE
    Last edited by Fezz; 04-04-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Thread Information