Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: customers use your "facilities?"

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

customers use your "facilities?"

OK this is a bit weird. We do let customers use our facilities, but I have to say I don't like it, since your private loo becomes a public one, and I hate using public washrooms. Whats your policy on customer/washroom use?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We do not have a bathroom in the store (well not one that the customers know about). There are three public ones in the mall (and it is a small mall).

Occupation
    We let customer use it and we clean it daily. Also the cleaning supplies are kept under the sink so if your squemish you can always clean it before taking care of business.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, man, this place I used to work at somehow "befrended" this guy who we all thought was both homeless and slightly autistic/retarded. He'd come in one a month or so, always asking for hugs from all of us (the guy smelled to high heavens), and he would always use our bathroom. To my knowledge, he never spent a cent in our store. His aim was....terrible. He'd pee all over the walls and everything! Gross...
    With my current job, we have public restrooms right down the hall, and ours is in the back so no one knows where it is.
    I remember hearing, you might want to check it out for Canada, but in the US certain types of businesses (Dr's offices included) are required to have a bathroom open to the public. I don't know the details, though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Years ago when I worked in Santa Barbara, we had an old man use our bathroom and he crapped all over the place. He never said a word or made an attempt to clean it up. The poor optician had to clean it up! ME!!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh! You poor poor things.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS
    Years ago when I worked in Santa Barbara, we had an old man use our bathroom and he crapped all over the place. He never said a word or made an attempt to clean it up. The poor optician had to clean it up! ME!!
    Dude, this rounds on me. :cheers:
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have two restrooms. Used to be men's and women's. It is now one unisex and one labeled "Danger High Voltage". I clean both but at least we don't have to share with strangers.

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Public accommodations law

In the United States there is a public accommodations law that obligates retail business to provide bathroom access. I believe it was part of the Civil Rights legislation.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LKahn View Post
    In the United States there is a public accommodations law that obligates retail business to provide bathroom access. I believe it was part of the Civil Rights legislation.
    I'd like to see a copy of that. I don't believe that is true. I think only restaurants are required to have restrooms available to the public.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't believe that the law you mention is refering to that type of accomodations. Isn't that the law that said the Boy Scouts has to let gays join ?

One of our offices has no restrooms (public or otherwise), and it passed all the inspections to gain a retail occupancy permit.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The civil rights legislation addressed the "Jim Crow" laws. If you have a "public" restroom you must not discriminate in whom you allow to use it. There is a law that states you must provide a public restroom if you serve food. You do not have to if you have an office or retail location though you really should.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's a bit hard to tell someone who needs to use the bathroom that they can't use the one you have. With any retail business that we have ever had if there were other toilets close by we would direct them to those and only if they were desperate would we direct them to the ones available in our office/shop.

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Correction

A correction is needed: From a DOJ page: Until the Civil Rights Act of 1964, persons from minority groups were excluded from, or segregated in, restaurants, motels, theaters, and other places of public accommodations.

The law does not include retail stores. In doing the research I discovered some states do have such provisions including retail store.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

That's because......

you ain't paying them to go to the "john", no pun intended. You slave driver.:shiner: No wonder you have so much $$$$.:cheers: I used to dock employees that went on company time if they took a cup of coffee or a newspaper with them.:D Just kiddin!;)

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I don't believe that the law you mention is refering to that type of accomodations. Isn't that the law that said the Boy Scouts has to let gays join ?

One of our offices has no restrooms (public or otherwise), and it passed all the inspections to gain a retail occupancy permit.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johns:
    Haven't you mentioned you have a bar in your office. I think that you will find a separate law requireing all establishments who serve alcohol must have a public restroom available.
    I think this is the rule in every state and municipality.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Johns:
    Haven't you mentioned you have a bar in your office. I think that you will find a separate law requireing all establishments who serve alcohol must have a public restroom available.
    I think this is the rule in every state and municipality.
    Chip,

The bar is not in the office I mentioned, but even then, we don't sell alcohol (we offer it purely for "medicinal" purposes).

On top of that, most of our locations are in rural areas, so my customers have to drive by plenty of trees before they get to my place - they've got no excuses!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I think some states or cities have a laws where if you are in a shopping center, you must allow customers to use your restroom - presumably because a shopping center does not have public restrooms like a mall.

That would be well and good IF the people who wrote those laws would offer to come clean up the fecal matter splattered all over the walls when the customers (it's never the paying ones, is it) are done.
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our policy is vague but... if we have a paying client, we have a bathroom, otherwise we don't.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Serve 'Em Up.....

Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    I'd like to see a copy of that. I don't believe that is true. I think only restaurants are required to have restrooms available to the public.
    Dude, maybe if some of our customers/patients were willing to "EAT" the cost of their silly redos we could consider ourselves a type of restauraunt too. By the way, I work in Ventura, when you had your poopy-man where were you at in S.Barb, near State St. ??:D Chris..

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    Dude, maybe if some of our customers/patients were willing to "EAT" the cost of their silly redos we could consider ourselves a type of restauraunt too. By the way, I work in Ventura, when you had your poopy-man where were you at in S.Barb, near State St. ??:D Chris..
    I was actually in Goleta, Trichler Optical.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In NY state it depends on accupancy limits!
    LEts say McDonalds has to have one if it seets certain amount of people!
    I dont think most of the stores would qualify for that #.
    Do Lenscrapers have a craper for the publick use?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yep, LC does have restrooms.

Our policy to let them use the restroom. We are in a small office strip and there are no other facilities to use, unless we make them go to the insurance office at the end of the strip, or the bank across the street.

On the other hand, since we "know" most of these people, we don't seem to have any trouble with people and aim...

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We let them us ours, it's at the end of the main hall. Usually there is no problem, but a few times there has been.

We actually had a relief doctor who had a terrible aim. He always got it on the toilet and floor. The doctor's only hired him a couple of times. Yuck!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let a guy use our restroom a week before Christmas. He went into the doctor's office instead and stole her purse. Cops tracked him down and "brutalized" him just a bit in a matter of 40 minutes. Dumb SOB charged gas at a convience store and then when inside to buy some other stuff. Problem was, everyone in that store (2 blks from us) knows the Dr. And this crack addict didn't look like her.

Our policy just got a bit more disciminating.

I like the "High Voltage" sign idea.

Thread Information