Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling All OptiBoard Photographers 2007

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Snitgirl – Didn’t use zoom on any of the pics. About the lowest we flew was 1000’ AGL (oops, Above Ground Level) and most of the shots were from about 2000’ AGL.

The aircraft is a store bought unit that I purchased in January and this is the first trip that I have taken. It was a deal that I just could not turn down. The poor old boy’s wife gave him an ultimatum, “either me or the airplane” and he made the wrong decision. I offered him 30% under marked and he accepted. The Maule is for sale. We bought a Mooney Bravo last year and it is our coast to coast toy. I will post some more pictures and try to update the web site but this retirement is wearing me out. I have never been busier in my life. I am busier than a one legged man at a fanny kicking contest.

The laminectomy went perfect. No pain for the first time in four years.

How sweet it is.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

More flowers opening

Got a couple pictures this evening. One is one cluster of rhododendron and another is the clematis again with a tape measure in the photo. Seems this year the flowers are a bit smaller, but there's more of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Still More flowers

Here are some more shots of the irises around our office.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Happy Friday Myra :D Hope you're not working to hard...

Quote Originally Posted by mlm View Post
    I have a request Snitgirl.... Can you please post up more photos of your little sweetie?? She looks so cute in your avatar, but I'd love to see something a bit clearer :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Looks like I am going to need to get out of the house this weekend and smell the roses. Thanks for sharing the flower pics you two.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Here are some more shots of the irises around our office.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    I actually left work early today to meet my dad at the airport. He had a 6 hour layover on his way to the Philippines, so my brother and I kept him company. Besides, I think my mom was afraid he might get on the wrong plane or something if we weren't there to help him!

What a little sweetie!! And I'm guessing the T-shirt message was for mom and dad??

Did you take part in the 24 hours of Flickr event, or the ShutterClock event? I did and ended up with these two photos respectively.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ahhh, you've been to Sun Yat Sen gardens! I love that place; isn't it amazing the tranquility and separateness created there in the middle of busy Vancouver Chinatown?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Hey Myra...

Did a hike with my hubby and baby Siena at the Lynn Valley Loop Trail today. Neat place, reminds me of Yosemite.. But the only thing that isn't there for you is flowers....P.S where did you purchase your new camera?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    Hey Myra...

Did a hike with my hubby and baby Siena at the Lynn Valley Loop Trail today. Neat place, reminds me of Yosemite.. But the only thing that isn't there for you is flowers....P.S where did you purchase your new camera?
    Beautiful! Looks like it was a really nice hike!

I got my camera at Broadway Camera, at Broadway and Oak. The guy who helped me, Henry, was really nice and informative. I'm guessing your camera is still broken then?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy K View Post
    Ahhh, you've been to Sun Yat Sen gardens! I love that place; isn't it amazing the tranquility and separateness created there in the middle of busy Vancouver Chinatown?
    It was my first time visiting the garden, and I agree Cindy. It's such a peaceful, serene place. I want to go back again when it's sunny, but that's certainly not this weekend!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

The camera isn't officially broken but a lot of the pics are starting to turn out blurry. Also, there is a spot on the inside of the lens and it shows up on some of the photos. I am sooooo ready for a new camera, I'm usually upgraded by now since this one is 3 years old but other things have come up and a new camera is not the first thing on the list but I will start my research now to figure out what I am wanting. Yes wanting, not needing..lol Who wouldn't want more than 3x optical zoom and over 5 mega pixels???? I know I do!

Which camera was it that you really really wanted but didn't get? I've forgotten what you told me. Also, what kind of camera do you have now?
    If they taught you anything about camera buying when you took your course, can you give me some tips?:cheers:

Thanks!! Hope your now working to hard!!!

P.S. I know I referred 3 people to your office and 2 have come in. Has the 3rd one called yet?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hey-
    here you go kids, enjoy.
    chad

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

the.chad,

Thanks for sharing photos. Such a cute doggie.. what breed is it? And the car, what kind is that? Oh and where was the shot taken with the waterfall?

I see this is your 3rd post. Welcome to Optiboard:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our puppy is a mini goldendoodle, my car is a Toyota Echo Hatchback, and the falls are called Bridal Falls-just past Chilliwack, thanks for the welcome...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Golden retriever and poodle mixed? Holy, I learn something new everyday :D

I thought your car was the new rabbit that is out, my mistake.. Cute little thing you got there.

Im going to set a goal to visit places outside of Vancouver since I live here now. Like stop for that coffee Mrs. President (Cindy of Opticians of British Columbia) has offered me. She is north of me...

Anywhoooo. Do not hesitate to create threads or leave posts on this board..Sit back and enjoy the ride...:cheers:

Occupation
    the.chad, that is one cute puppy!

Snitgirl,

I really wanted an Olympus E330, but settled with the E500. I spent $830 on the 2 lens kit back in January; now I saw an ad in Future Shop for the same kit at $599. :angry: Regardless, I've been really happy with my toy. The only major difference between the 2 is the live LCD viewing with the E330.

The only advice the instructor gave was to concentrate your money on the glass not the body. But he doesn't use digital cameras, so I would add that the sensor and resolution are important.

Oh, and did I miss the second person you referred? Unfortunately I don't get to do all the pretests myself anymore, so I may have. Send me a PM with the names and I'll check for you. Thanks so much for sending more work my way!! :p

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Thanks!

Excellent, thanks for the camera info. I didn't even notice there wasn't a live lcd screen on yours. No wonder you kept looking through the viewer thingie, lol. I just thought you liked looking through it, lol.

Is there anything that you do not like about your toy?

You told me where you got your camera bag but I forgot...

Are you going to take another photography course?

2 referrals was tina *exam* chelsie *glasses*
    the 3rd probably hasn't phoned. I'll check and see.
    P.S. Happy Victoria day! <----:idea: I am going to look this holiday up and see what it is all about.

P.P.S. If weather permits, I just might post some flower shots..there are some really beautiful ones here around the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by mlm View Post
    the.chad, that is one cute puppy!

Snitgirl,

I really wanted an Olympus E330, but settled with the E500. I spent $830 on the 2 lens kit back in January; now I saw an ad in Future Shop for the same kit at $599. :angry: Regardless, I've been really happy with my toy. The only major difference between the 2 is the live LCD viewing with the E330.

The only advice the instructor gave was to concentrate your money on the glass not the body. But he doesn't use digital cameras, so I would add that the sensor and resolution are important.

Oh, and did I miss the second person you referred? Unfortunately I don't get to do all the pretests myself anymore, so I may have. Send me a PM with the names and I'll check for you. Thanks so much for sending more work my way!! :p

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We have a few more flowers going on now, so I thought I'd post a couple of pictures. We have some Evening Primrose, a couple of Peonies, and one of our cat Maia roly-polying in the sun.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Any Photography Guru's out there?

hi...

taking pictures of babies. what do you recommend for camera settings? i've been using the fast action icon on my ultra compact but constantly get blurry images. Should i be trying to take baby shots in multiburst mode?

Out of 10 photos the clearest image I can get is something like this. Am I begin ultra picking (I feel this image is blurry) or should I be expecting more from my camera? Thanks for the help.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Is this better?

Note: to increase sharpness you can eithe use a lower F-stop or a fastewr shttuer. Unfortunately these are mutually exclusive but generally the more light you can shine on the subject, the more you can get away with.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Im going to set a goal to visit places outside of Vancouver since I live here now. Like stop for that coffee Mrs. President (Cindy of Opticians of British Columbia) has offered me. She is north of me...

Hi Michelle!

Actually, I'm East of you about two hours. And its absolutely beautiful here in Hope right now. If you get a chance to come up here check out the Tunnels; there's a park there and a beautiful walk through a well kept trail that runs alongside the Coquihalla River.

That waterfall 'the.chad' posted: I drive past it each and every work day-- its spectacular even seen from a distance from the freeway. There's another photo-op worthy waterfall on the mountain above 'The Falls' golf course just past Chilliwack. Thing is for that one a good telephoto lens is required.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    the.chad,

Thanks for sharing photos. Such a cute doggie.. what breed is it?

the.chad -

I totally agree - such a cute little doggie!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

It is better (sharper) thank you, but looking a bit purplish...

I'll use your note and put my ultra compact to the test. Does it make sense to have it in the multi burst mode as well?

Thank you for the information Mr. Machol... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Is this better?

Note: to increase sharpness you can eithe use a lower F-stop or a fastewr shttuer. Unfortunately these are mutually exclusive but generally the more light you can shine on the subject, the more you can get away with.

Occupation
    Got rid of the purple

Occupation
    Excellent, thanks for the camera info. I didn't even notice there wasn't a live lcd screen on yours. No wonder you kept looking through the viewer thingie, lol. I just thought you liked looking through it, lol.

Is there anything that you do not like about your toy?

You told me where you got your camera bag but I forgot...

Are you going to take another photography course?

2 referrals was tina *exam* chelsie *glasses*
    the 3rd probably hasn't phoned. I'll check and see.
    I'm not sure how I overlooked this post. Sorry Snitgirl!

Anything else I don't like... The big one is the bulkiness. I carry my camera bag everywhere now, and sometimes it drives me nuts. But I knew what I was getting into when I chose to get a dSLR, so I can't really complain. I have problems with manual focus on the 14-45 kit lens; it supposedly works but it's so subtle and the focus ring doesn't stop (it will spin and spin and spin, unlike normal focus rings) so I can't tell if I've gone too far. And the viewfinder doesn't have the split image prism to help you focus either. The 40-150 kit lens focuses much better, but it's difficult to use at close range (for obvious reasons). I'm told that Olympus cameras have insane menus, but since my rangefinder is also an Olympus I was already used to the menu system.

My other dream camera was the Nikon D40. You may want to take a look at both and see which feels more comfortable.

I got my bag at Black's. It's a Roots sling backpack. Sometimes you can find Lowepro bags for sale; I'm trying to find one that's affordable and waterproof...

I'm hoping to take the intermediate course through VSB this fall. I would love to take a course at Focal Point or Vancouver Photo Workshops, but they're both about 2.5 times the cost.

Duh, I must have blonde roots or something :hammer:Of course I knew about Tina and Chelsie (how's she liking her glasses?). I look forward to meeting your next referral soon!

Oh, and we should go on another photo trip soon. I'll email you.

Thread Information