Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Essilor - Accolade And Accolade Freedom Lenses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Persona High Definition / Accolade freedom

I heard about the Persona after I ordered my Accolade Freedoms, are the Accolades considered High Def as well? Thank you.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not to call anyone out, but as a walmart optican (yeah snicker if you must) I do have a story that might shed some light on this. We get ALL of our "Nikon" lenses from Avisa. In general, that ends up being a few poly asph SV and a ton of Nikon customized. Nikon customized just happens to a rebranded accolade freedom sold by walmart. Somehow, I ordered a nikon customized and it came in as.... wait for it... physio 360. If Omega and Avisa are completely different labs and these are completely different lenses, then how in the HELL did they ship that to me? I had already been pretty convinced that essilor and varilux products were essentially the same, but after that, there's no way that anyone can convince me that there's a valid difference.

Essilor produces a lens and gives it to the private guys as a varilux product. Higher markup on those for essilor to recoup their development/marketing. After 9 months to a year, oddly enough, a very similar lens appears for the chain stores marketed under the essilor name. I can see what's happening here, but I guess others can't.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner05 View Post
    I can see what's happening here, but I guess others can't.
    Oh yes, we can all see it. We've seen it for years. However:
    Physio 360 and the Nikon custom are (I belive) different lenses. My guess is that the lens you wanted was on backorder and they substituted or they pulled the wrong lens. I have had the later happen, but very very rarely,

Here is what I think. When Essilor designs lenses, they have a few that are what they consider are successful. Then they go to wearer studies/satisfaction surveys. One of the lens designs will win and be released as the "Newest, best Varilux ever". But what happens to the 2nd and 3rd place lenses? They are probably very good. They meet the criteria that Essilor had in mind and they took quite a bit of time and cost to develop and manufacturer the molds.
    Imagine you are Essilor and a company like Vision Source or Wal-Mart came to you and asked for a "special" lens at "special" pricing. What would you do to maximize profits? Maybe pull a currently unused, runner-up lens design off the shelf and sell it at the rate of 100,000 pair/month?
    Of course you would.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Accolade Freedom? High Definition?

So is the Accolade Freedom considered "High Definiton" or not as the "Persona" Claims to be?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What makes a lens "hi def"? That's the term they use at eyemasters for their trivex lenses. Always drove me crazy.

Occupation
    Optometrist

I hear dat....

It drove me crazy since day 1 and still does to this minute. The shortcoming of answers from the pros in the thread makes me feel like "snake oil" is at the helm of this term. Thanks Gunner, take care.

Occupation
    Optometrist

First pair of glasses

BTW, trying to get used to these new Accolade Freedoms, I find the intermediate a very narrow window, but I only had em on for 2 hours or so, so far. Cheers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

New and great?

I am having a pair of progressives made for myself. I can use any lens and have used a variety of lenses in my past glasses including Definity, Piccolo, Truclear HD, Image, Sola and Brevity. I can wear any lens and just about any seg ht., but this frame has 15.

I want to try something new and different that might be a good lens also for patients who want frames with 15 seg ht.

Simple question, I know, but always love your responses.

Thanks Pat:idea:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsy View Post
    I am having a pair of progressives made for myself. I can use any lens and have used a variety of lenses in my past glasses including Definity, Piccolo, Truclear HD, Image, Sola and Brevity. I can wear any lens and just about any seg ht., but this frame has 15.

I want to try something new and different that might be a good lens also for patients who want frames with 15 seg ht.

Simple question, I know, but always love your responses.

Thanks Pat:idea:
    For a freeform lens I recommend Hoya's Lifestyle Id Cd. In a more cost effective lens, I recommend Concord Micra.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Try Auto II from Shamir.

Thread Information