Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great face to face but horrible resume

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by [FONT=serif
    HarryChiling[/FONT]]A good manager will help make sure they stay in line. The majority of the people here seem to think she would be a bad hire, this is an opportunity. Lets say she interviewed with everyone on this thread. Almost all of you would pass on her, and I would take the opportunity to get a employee for less. Resumes are not as easy for everyone as they may be for you and me. I have had some of the most qualified people walk in the door and have no resume at all, keep in mind that
    Happylady
    is in Texas and in Texas opticians are not licensed professionals, so if the employee pool is anything like my state grab it while it's hot.
    A good manager also recognizes laziness, and understand that it cannot be a quality that is brought into the business. We are not talking about using Excel embedded tables, electronically derived table of contents or power point. We are talking about a simple feature that highlights words with a red underline when incorrectly spelt.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=hcjilson;171975]The question is posed....Do you hire the person or the resume. My hope would be that you hire the person because the skills that show lacking on this particular resume are easily learnable, and certainly correctable. quote]

Easily learned, yes. In fact should have been learned sometime during the initial 12 years of school. Correctable, yes. But if I have to run around correcting multiple mistakes my employees are making I get real cranky.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I never said I wouldn't hire her or interview her. First impressions do make a big difference. I have interviewed people who on paper were ok, but turned out great once they have been here.

Resumes are not always an indication of how great a person is. People lie. Opticians lie. I can use a lensometer(my favorite), I've done I and R's, I can lifestyle sell...I could keep going.

I don't always count spelling. I do realized I can't spell. I will use spell check to make sure of my spelling. There is a reason my spelling is bad. As a child I lost most of my hearing. So when I was learning to spell, sounding letters out was hard.

However math I have an issue with. I don't want my money off. Patient's get mad when you have to correct a dollar amount.

christina

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Nevermind forget about her. :(
    Yep, too many strikes against her at this point!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not in a position to hire people, that is done by my manager. However, I do see resume's that come in. What bothers me with this whole thing is, my resume is 100%, checked it 5 times over, spelling, grammar, punctuation, format, it's perfect. Then, when I drop off resumes, references, or show for an interview, I dress up.

Now, I am not some word processing master, I didn't major in english. In fact, I hate studying grammar and all that. But I do check my resume because it is important. Why shouldn't it be? First of all, I care enough about myself that I want my resume to look as good as possible. I want to showcase my skills, and stand out from the crowd. Besides, I honestly think that the ability to put together a decent looking typed document once in a while is important in this field. I e-mail patients all the time, write newsletters, etc. I know that my resume is the first impression I'm making with a potential employer, and I understand the importance of a first impression. Don't forget that s/he will be making the first impressions of your company on to many people each day.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You know, I have written many papers, have done a lot of studies, and so forth, but when I read stuff I am not super critical on grammar mistakes. However, when someone makes major mistakes it is noticeable and frustrating. I once had to mark a paper when someone was using "ur" to replace "your." This is where the problem lies.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Two of the numbers she gave as references were discontinued. That didn't seem right, either.

This got me thinking last night. Were these personal or professional references?

I was with my previous employer for 11 years before working for my current doctor. Their corporate policy is to for people to call a 1-800 number and get basically dates of employment.

If I asked anyone who still works there to be a professional reference, if it was found out they did this, their jobs would be on the line for not following policy and procedure.

My former two employers prior to this have been since put out of business. Either consolidation of services or being bought out by a larger conglomerate and shut down...

So, if heaven forbid something happened to my current employer and I was forced to be looking again.. this could be an issue.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You could hire her with the understanding that if after her 90 days she can't cut the mustard she is gone. Some of the offices I call on do a "working interview" where they have them come in (unpaid) and sort of "audition" for the job. You will know after a day with her in the dispensary if she knows what she is doing. Either way I would let her know she needs to work on her resume. If she is serious about it she will take that opportunity to fix it.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hire them on a conditional evaluation basis. 2wks (you can discharge and pay them for this period if you find out that you don't find them suitable, two weeks pay shouldn't break you.) Re-evaluate at 6 weeks and 90 days. All with a signed agreement exempting you from unemployment pay etc., during this period. Also make it clear that benefits such as insurance, etc. do not kick in until the end of evaluation period.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Why not request that she bring her resume up to a suitable level. If she is willing to do this, and the end result is acceptable, you've learned that she is capable and that she will accept direction. If she refuses or it is low quality, you have your answer.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

on the plus side

:cheers:I feel alot better about my own future job search in San Antonio if that is my competition.

Tamera (the wife)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am extremely critical of resumes. I not only look at the resume, I look at the envelope it came in. If the resume is typed, but the envelope is handwritten, I take that into consideration (big time).

If a prospect does not pay attention to detail when applying for a job that will be supporting their family, how can I expect them to pay attention were they to get the job ?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have been on interview panels numerous times and it is always a combination of both the interview and the resume that seal the deal. If I see an error on a resume then I would take note of it but it wouldn't be enough to not select that person. If however, there are a lot of errors then yes this would not be of concern and they would most likely not even get an interview.

I think that you should let her know that her resume needs work if you can. It will at least help her for her next interview.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I am extremely critical of resumes. I not only look at the resume, I look at the envelope it came in. If the resume is typed, but the envelope is handwritten, I take that into consideration (big time).

If a prospect does not pay attention to detail when applying for a job that will be supporting their family, how can I expect them to pay attention were they to get the job ?
    So is it bad to handwrite an envelope? Why?

We had an appointment scheduled for this optician to meet with the doctor on Saturday a week ago. She never showed or called.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Nevermind forget about her. :(
    In reading this thread, what came to my mind is that some people can talk a great story during an interview, but when hired; the talk doesn't match the walk. Do you have a probation period when employees are hired? If so, bring them on board to see how they work out.
    If they're not living up to expectations, release them before the probation period is up. We have a 90 day probation period for all new hires.
    Although, if you're getting misinformation on the resume, and cannot verify important information needed to make a decision, don't bother making the hire in the first place.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    9 yr old thread revived to get a few hits on their resume site.................................................

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by icmor View Post
    In reading this thread, what came to my mind is that some people can talk a great story during an interview, but when hired; the talk doesn't match the walk. Do you have a probation period when employees are hired? If so, bring them on board to see how they work out.
    If they're not living up to expectations, release them before the probation period is up. We have a 90 day probation period for all new hires.
    Although, if you're getting misinformation on the resume, and cannot verify important information needed to make a decision, don't bother making the hire in the first place.
    I've seen this soooo many times. People will interview well and then be totally different after date of hire. I've worked in places where the mgmt gave a 90 day probation period and never let the person go during that time even though behavior was crazy. I've seen employees throw charts and curse at people (during the 90 day period) and not get fired, so I don't think the 90 day thing works unless the mgmt actually does something. Some office never fire people, so they better get it right from the beginning because waiting for a bad employee to leave will cause you to loose good employees will you're sitting around doing nothing.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by icmor View Post
    Resurrecting a 9 year old thread at 7:50 AM. Were we on our first cup of Tim Horton's yet? ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not going to add anything new but I am a horrible speller and I have dysgraphia. When I type I have a tendency to leave words out. When I wrote up my resume I would read it out loud and backwards and have my loving wife proofread. I would also run spell check. However, if you are not hiring for writing skills and she really seams great for the job then snatch her up.

If your worried about her resume ask her to rewrite it and explain your concerns. Tell her you worry about her attention to detail. I would worry about making sense of order notes and things of that nature.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If someone can't proof-read a resume, can they accurately enter in prescription information or do anything that you need them to do in an office environment? Do you only want them to sell but not actually ring anyone up? I guess in that case you could hire them.

If they are counting out money and ordering lenses then absolutely not.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm trying so so SO hard to keep it professional and not make some kind of Butterface joke at the title of this thread.

Thread Information